Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Warp 550????

A rigid head,full belt driven quiet beast of a 500 would be pretty sweet.. People say that the warp flies like a 700 how would a warp 550 fly. Maybe like a 1000?????? This is what I want.What are your thoughts?
kane601 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It could be a major hit for compass, the warp brought a lot of new pilots to the "team Compass"(me included) and i love this design/performance.
A bigger model with similar characteristics would be hard to pass on.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Warp 550????

I love the way the warp flies. The best part about it is how original it is and how well it performs. I think compass needs to run with this design into a bigger heli. If they did I would definitely buy one hands down no questions asked.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I would appreciate the design more in a larger format like a 550, for a 450 IMO is to complex. So I sold mine. A 550 I am more careful with and reluctant to crash doing stupid stuff.

I would however like a driven tail in a larger "Warp" and maybe not the rigid head, not sure how well it would up scale.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

a atom 5.5 is so simple, i wouldn't want a complicated version like a warp.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155 View Post
a atom 5.5 is so simple, i wouldn't want a complicated version like a warp.
jrod155, you beat me to it I also prefer the simplicity of the current Atom 500 (and 5.5) and that of the 6HV to the Warp. To each his own I guess. Those who have Warps but haven't tried the Atom, you might be pleasantly surprised how a simple design can fly so smoothly and beautifully... probably more so than the Warp.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Warp 550????

Like you said cyclo I really dont know how simple the others are but I find the warp to be pretty simple. It is a lot easier to work on than my old 450sev2. One of these days I will find out on an atom or 6hv ult.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't consider the Warp complicated.
Everybody that i show my Warp says, man so simple.
And it is. It may have a few sensible areas, but that is quite normal on helis.
I like to work on the warp, but i don't do it often, just because it hasnīt been needing any
Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I don't consider the Warp complicated."

I agree.

I did not find it complicated at all, just quite different from what I have built, worked on before, in terms of design.

The design is well thought out and the parts fit was excellent.

It was nice to work on something very different, for a change.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Warp 550????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
"I don't consider the Warp complicated."

I agree.

I did not find it complicated at all, just quite different from what I have built, worked on before, in terms of design.

The design is well thought out and the parts fit was excellent.

It was nice to work on something very different, for a change.
I agree and if it was bigger it would be even easier.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think maybe a downsized 6HV Ultimate would be a better application than an up-sized Warp. Of course I've never messed with either machine, but anything that would be similar to a current Atom 500 or 6HV would be pretty tough to beat. I've seen "stubby" versions of other 600 class machines and they seem to have pretty good notariety among their owners and I think Compass would have a lot more offer in that segment.

I, for one, love how simple they are to repair and how durable they are in a crash. While I do like the idea of a rigid head, that only seems to work well with higher headspeeds (or at least from what I've seen of rigid heads). You can also get away with some of the prices on a 450 where on a larger machine the bean counting really starts to take a toll and quickly, so it would probably be better from a business perspective not to change the formula drastically without really putting some research behind it.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

"While I do like the idea of a rigid head, that only seems to work well with higher headspeeds (or at least from what I've seen of rigid heads)"

I agree with this. I like the Compass/TracX/SZ head (I have eight or nine of them now, in various sizes). The "feel" better, and center better, IMHO, on large machines.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Warp 550????

19 flights in 3 days on my brand new warp and then I crashed it practising piro flips reslly low. The only things "Compass" that broke were the blades and I dented the boom!! All cyclic servo gears are gone. So I have had the pleasure of building it and now tearing it down for repairs. I have previously owned two Atoms and a 6hv but the warp is imho by far the best!! I bought it as a more accessable practice bird since I cant fly my TDR in nearly as many places and far from as often as I like and man am I happy with it!! I wanted it to feel close to my TDR and I can honestly say it is not far off!! I love it already and I will put it to hard work! If Compass should scale it up I dont know but if they do I think it is such a different design from the Atom that most Compass pilots would end up with both if they already own a Atom. I personally am not so interested in a 500/550 size heli in that they need space to fly and when I have that space I would rather fly the TDR. Just my two!!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Warp 550????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
"While I do like the idea of a rigid head, that only seems to work well with higher headspeeds (or at least from what I've seen of rigid heads)"

I agree with this. I like the Compass/TracX/SZ head (I have eight or nine of them now, in various sizes). The "feel" better, and center better, IMHO, on large machines.
Actually it flies fine at low head speeds.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Actually it flies fine at low head speeds"

You are right, sir-I forgot that I had seen Mr. Ketelhut do this on the Warp (fly at low head speeds) at the last HF Fun Fly.

I was really thinking about the larger machines with rigid heads, some of which "nod" at low speeds.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Warp 550????

Does the three dee rigid mean it is a rigid head design? If not what other big heli out there is a rigid head design? I honestly don't know, and am curious.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Does the three dee rigid mean it is a rigid head design? If not what other big heli out there is a rigid head design? I honestly don't know, and am curious."

Great question and I don't know the answer!

Some manufacturers have used the term "rigid rotor" to mean flybarless.

The first one that I remember using the term "rigid rotor" was American R/C Helicopters, back around the late 1970's. The heads were flybarless, machined out of aluminum, and very beefy. There were no dampers, so these were truly rigid. People used to talk about encountering "mast bump" with them (no idea if they did-I think they were confusing terms). John Simone, Lowell Draper, and (I think) Mike Mas used to fly them brilliantly. This was without FBL electronics (because there weren't any), so these guys were very, very good.

Perhaps someone with a TDR will chime in.

I think the Align DFC machines are probably truly rigid, as the POM (Delrin) dampers are, effectively, solid spacers, preventing flapping.

By the way, the Warp is not, technically, rigid. The hub is mounted rigidly to the mast, but the CF Blade grips are supposed to supply a bit of damping to the main rotor system and allow a bit of flapping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in