Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I Am So Fricken Confused!!!

I have read every thing I can get my hands on.
Done the co-axle thing
Can fly a V911 very confidently -

Now I am stuck and don't know where to go.
Maybe I have read too much.

Was going to get a Blade 450 BNF
Then was told to get a FB Heli so was going to get a 450 3D
Then was told when I crash it will take for ever to fix
Was going to get a 130 X - but it's an FBL and I have to buy a separate radio

Was looking at a Walkera V120D02S on some ones recommendation - but started reading bad things about the devo radio

& then I keep going back to the 450 3D for not much more with the radio

Don't even get me started on charges, way confusing.

md-heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a very common question. Search the forum for "first CP" or similar and you'll find a lot of discussion.

Your options are:

Micros (usually blade, but also walkera). These have motor powered tails and are less mechanically complex. If you crash over grass they almost never break. They are squirrely, exhibit more bad flight behavior, and are harder to see, work on, and fly. 90% of the time when they crash, nothing breaks, but this just encourages you to crash more and often times you will spend a fair bit fixing them. If you are an impulsive person that wants to fly, this is a good option for you.

450 size: These are more expensive, more stable, and fly better. The also almost always break if they crash (cost $5-50 per). The are also slightly dangerous (numerous stiches or rarely worse are possible). They are also harder to setup because the components are separate and need to be programmed and diagnosed properly, unlike a micro that is almost completely integrated.

500+ size: Old school recommendation. Very big, stable, easy to fly and easy to work on. Expensive to crash and potentially very dangerous (a handful of fatal accidents with 700 size helis last year). Potentially a choice if you have a solid mentor and are very, very safety oriented and patient.

With anything you should really get a SIMULATOR. Even 10 hours or so learning to hover a CP will save you hours of rebuilding, frustration, and cost. There are free simulators (Heli-X demo, neXt demo, FMS, and others) that you can use with decent transmitter (DEVO or DX6i/spektrum, etc). People have learned without one, but these days there is honestly no reason to learn without a sim.

Hope this helps.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Because I am not far past your level, I can advise the follow...

Pick what you want and go with it.

In my opinion the majority of hater commentary on <insert product here> is stupefying over-exaggeration.

Several common themes appear to me to emerge from the just-past-noob-stage threads;

1) The Blade/Spektrum micro combos are clearly cheap, mass-manufacture plastic specials... but they work.

Support is ubiquitous.

Parts availability is ubiquitous.

And something like the mCP X / mCP X BL, with just a few tweaks on the rates (and some level-headedness), can be flown by anyone who can handle a V911 or the like.

And they can be flown almost anywhere.

They are not intimidating.

2) Select other micros are not necessarily awful (Walkera, specifically) but support and parts availability is very poor in comparison to Blade/Spektrum.

3) The bigger stuff is scarier, more complex and more expensive to start off with. But not necessarily a worse option.

4) Get a sim.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can recommend the V120D02S and DEVO 7 combo. Bought mine about a year ago and it hasn't missed a beat since except one close encounter with a table. Parts are cheap compared to other helis and I get mine from either Hobbyking or Walkera-Esky. The product has zero support in Australia but so far that hasn't bothered me one bit. In fact I added two more Walkeras to the fleet.
The DEVO 7 is often described as being "hellish" to program, but it is actually easy to get used to and I use it with other helis as well.
Happy selecting!

skippy55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

1st of all don't stress it the journey is supposed to be fun. If you don't have a sim look into getting one. If you have been flying coax and the v911 than go get a little quad nano qx. They are great trainers. Really help you with orientation and stick control. When you can master agility mode you are on the way. Take your time and have fun. I am going to get the new blade 200srx when it comes to my local shop. It is fp but I think it will get pretty aggressive. It has brushless motors and 3 flight modes. I think it will be a nice trainer also. Good luck
sooners is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Easy does it

Sim + flybar 450 + training gear.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would second the v120 d02s. I have a pair of them and they fly very well for sport and light acro. They are also complex enough that you are learning how a larger heli works. They are shaft driven and very similar to anything bigger unlike the smaller micros. I just test hovered my 450 FB after tons of v120 flying and it was a relaxed and easy experience. I bought it used and very broken and had no issues fixing it and setting it up.

Some rcommendations if you go the v120 route.

1. Lookup and perform the servo saver mod and the tail flip. These things are free and go a long way towards making the heli durable.

2. Forget the Devo 7. Get a Devo 10. I have both and although the 7 is a really good radio the 10 can be upgraded with deviation firmware. This takes the Devo 10 from a great radio and puts it in a league of its own. Without any other modifications I can fly my older walkera 2401 heli, my newer Devo helis and all of my blade/Spektrum helis. I have 2 dsm2 and one DSMX and they all work flawlessly.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix the cat View Post
Sim + flybar 450 + training gear.
i would second this.

if you can find a RTF 450 3D snag it get some training gear for it and no matter what you choose GET A SIM

it wont take any longer to fix then a FBL once you learn what youre doing, which is part of teh process of learning, you can set up a FB head in the same amount of time it takes to set up a FBL head

and learning to fly a FB heli will make you a little more controlled and precise since you are flying the heli and not a computer.

Then for about 220 bucks you can buy a used 7200BX FBL unit and a FBL head and convert the 450 3D in to a 450x more or less
M&P_Hooligan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Time to decide. You've read all the biased opinions, and honest opinions.

Now its your turn, go with your gut.
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocka_wocka View Post
Time to decide. You've read all the biased opinions, and honest opinions.

Now its your turn, go with your gut.
Quite honestly, my gut is sick

I want to make the right decision so I don't get turned off.

I am leaning towards a 450, since from everything I read they are more stable, fly better in wind and less twitchy. I do understand It will cost more when they crash and almost every crash will require some sort of repair. It's always somewhat windy in my area and I am worried that I just won't get many chances to fly the smaller 130. If the 450 scares the FCK out of me and I can't get anywhere with it, I will shelve it and get a smaller one.

I think I am going FBL, it's going to be less parts to repair with crashes and it seems that all helis are going that way. I do understand the pro FB arguments, but ...

As far as the simulator goes - I was going to get into helis years ago (probably 10+) so I bought Ray's book and real flight G2, played around with it for a long time. I could hover the Raptor somewhat well, but gave up on the whole thing. At the time nitro was your only real option and you had to build just about any kit out there. There was no good RTF
Eventually I just gave up without getting anything.

I think I just need to make the leap and get something. The more i read, the more i get confused. I need to get something, fly - crash - fly - crash etc.....

S0 - Blade 450x or Trex 450 Plus DFC ?
Spektrum or Futuba?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by md-heli View Post

I think I am going FBL, it's going to be less parts to repair with crashes and it seems that all helis are going that way. I do understand the pro FB arguments, but ...
Good choice! I am new to the hobby too. And the 500 3D I got with the FB is much less stable than the FBL heli's in the same category.
BTW, the 500x is a pretty good deal right now, $499 complete, probably can't build a good 450 for that amount.
edin508 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

One choice I am considering in a bridge to CP is the new Blade 200 SR X - looks like a nice gap between the V911 and a larger CP

I know there will be lots of haters, but as a newbie it looks like it might help build some confidence
Old 04-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should be excellent. Get a sim and a Tx to use while you wait for its release.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try to lay out some requirements and prioritize the things that are most important to you. It should help make your decision easier. For example, when I was deciding on my first heli my requirements were:

450-size because I already had a bunch of 3S 2200mah lipos
Flybarless for mechanical simplicity and ability to tune the heli electronically
Something available as a kit that I could assemble myself
Parts readily available, both online and at my LHS

I ended up going with the Trex 450 Pro DFC because it matched up with all the things I was looking for. It's an awesome heli and I've been having a great experience with it. It could be a great heli for you too, but only if your requirements match mine. If you hate building kits or your LHS doesn't carry Align parts then you'd be better off with something else.

Figure out the things you are looking for in a heli and you'll set yourself up for a positive experience.
simplechamp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you handled both Spectrum and Futaba transmitters? Picked them up, turned them over, pretended to fly with them, hung them round your neck on a lanyard, looked at the menus, tried to find the pitch curve screens? Kicked the tires?

Pick which one you like most. I think more off-the-shelf BNFs pair with Spectrum.
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

"I think I just need to make the leap and get something. The more i read, the more i get confused. I need to get something, fly - crash - fly - crash etc....."

....That's the best advice I've heard so far.....

So many people buy anywhere from 1-3 helis, then get frustrated with crashing often & then quit... Whenever a new comer posts, we're so afraid to let them crash, we advise conservatively, but guys, no matter which heli he chooses, he's gonna crash, we all did, many times..

(1) Can I afford the parts to repair my heli? "
Parts readily available, both online and at my LHS"(Champ)
(2) Can I learn how to repair my hel - I sent you the link to those Vids..
(3) Will crashing bother me so much that I will only allow myself 3-4 crashes before quitting? ......(then don't buy a heli, get a plane)
(4) If I choose to, can I afford a solid simulator? (will dramatically reduce Items 1-3 above)

Whichever you choose, get out there & (Fly˛ + crash + repair + Fly
˛) = Learn

Note: I think (if you have the PC to run it) you'll be impressed with RealFlight 6 or 7. Its come along way since version 2, & a hell of alot more fun & interesting.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Current PC is crap - won't run any similator

that's also on my list to buy if you want to get into a Win 7 vs 8.whatever discussion
Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by md-heli View Post
One choice I am considering in a bridge to CP is the new Blade 200 SR X - looks like a nice gap between the V911 and a larger CP

I know there will be lots of haters, but as a newbie it looks like it might help build some confidence
Keep in mind that the 200 SRx is not a CP heli.
edin508 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried the sims? They are very easy on computers.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with just getting something (FLy Crash Fly Crash Repair) Do it all again !

I read way to much to and to be honest what I have found is the more research you do on various products the more dirt and bad things about that product keep popping up!

I was scared to death to make the wrong descission. I don't think within the 4 years or so I have been in this hobby all my descissions right or wrong have been great learning experiances for sure.

My very first CP heli was a clone that I won't name but it was the biggest piece of crap I ever tried to fly. But I did learn how to fix the blasted thing !

I almost gave up on the heli hobby because of that thing but decided to get a Blade 450 3D. It was a great heli to really start with, easy to repair, parts readily available and fly's well for what it is!

Now I have an Atom 500 FB which I love to fly and is so much more stable than a 450! I will eventually go FBL with it mostly because the fly bared parts are being phased out on that heli and are hard to get.

I have never flown a FBL heli larger than a 300x but I can say watching the guys fly there FBL helis at my club the stability of those things is amazing !

Sorry to ramble on but I really think If you just grit your teeth and make the jump to either heli FB or FBL you won't be disapointed at all !

For sure tho a newer sim will make all the difference in the world!

Great luck with whatever you descide !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in