Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Whats important for most 2.4 radios is that the end of the antenna is not pointing at the RX. Antenna radiate out the sides not out the tip. The devo6 does this as you cannot bend it 90 degrees. That worried me a little on range so I doubt I would use it on anything other than a micro like the Genius as I simply would worry about it.

Bob
Ahh.. I see that now.

However.. just on a side note, the genius is a small heli. I haven't tried to understand its range yet, but... I don't think I'd be able to see it well enough for orientation if it was 500 meters or so/less. So for me, I don't think range would be a problem.

However... something bigger.. ya, I'd be concerned. Maybe... over concerned.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob,
I eagerly await the rest of the story on this heli. In particular I'd like to hear about your experiences flying in the 6-axis mode. There's a long thread on RCG about how it doesn't work out of the box and about possible work-around mods. I think Walkera can fix it in firmware.

The 6 axis feature would be great for slow, small space indoor flying and also for beginners if it worked right.
I am waiting for it to be fixed before purchasing. Tell Walkera for me, OK?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gah.. I thought I had the wrong thread and cleared out my post.

Whelp I finally did a nice flip with my Genius. When I got it back upright, tried a second time, and lost it.

Few things I like to mention:

1.) If you fly without the canopy, there is a good chance you'll end up breaking the battery holder. Broke 2 support brackets (horizontal ones). It's being super glued atm.

2.) Since its fall, if the tail blade pops off, its going to be almost near impossible to find it. I lost one today.

3.) I was only able to do flips in the forward motion.

Seems trying to back flip is harder. Funny thing is, on a Sim, I tend to do back flips better then forward. So its the opposite with the Genius.

Anyone else find it hard to back flip? I was trying to do rainbows, but the backwards flip was slow to where when I try to catch it, it ends up going forward since I don't have near level, and I end up driving the tail into the ground.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801

Last edited by Silver-techie; 10-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Doh..
Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-techie View Post

Anyone else find it hard to back flip? I was trying to do rainbows, but the backwards flip was slow to where when I try to catch it, it ends up going forward since I don't have near level, and I end up driving the tail into the ground.
For me too was hard to back flip, it always lost the tail.
Next time I'll try forward flips and let you know.
dado099 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it has alot to do with the heli being nose heavy.
buster7467 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
I think it has alot to do with the heli being nose heavy.
I pretty much agree. After numerous tries, then trying a forward flip, it seemed it was easier on the heli.

Now that makes me think/question more about ever trying it on my 120-200-450's.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjohn View Post
Bob,
In particular I'd like to hear about your experiences flying in the 6-axis mode.
Poor Bob first off he has the devil 7 to contend with and now you are asking him to embrace the axis of all evil will his trials and tribulations never end

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the difference in flipping forward or backwards is because it is nose heavy. Once you get used to it you will find you can flip it just as good backwards. It's just that you have to give it more back ele than you would think. And your collective management is a little different between the front and back flip.
buster7467 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hows it going guys , Where do I find the one piece canopy?

I found with the stock brushed motor I had to drop my collective setting and it was like a hole new bird with doing flips. The stock setting made the motor bog down . I did the brushless motor with a 300mah batt and now it is a dream to all types of 3D.
helicoptermadness311 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Issue with Genius

Well, this came out of no where,

I was happily flying the Genius in the backyard and during forward flight in a straight line past me the heli without any input pitched left violently into the grass.

Since then when I initilise it the left servo arm immediately after the green light (indicating proper initialisation) the servo arm drops straight down to its full extent and wont move no matter what inputs. It just zooms down there and locks in place.

I've tried unpluging and repluging it back and I've tried resetting everything, and there is nothing wrong with the servo itself. So this wouod appear to be another typical Walkera electronic glitch. I have had all sorts of dramas with Walkera FBL receivers on their bigger helis but I thought that this Genius was great and I thought that they had sorted them. But once again the Walkera electronic glitches strike!

I hope for one that this was just a one off, and I'll order a new servo as I figure it has to be the servo that's the problem, but if the problem is in the receiver then I guess I'm stuffed!

Any thoughts or ideas?????

Lots of things that fly and crash!
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bummer. How about plugging the A servo into the P spot on the rx and vice versa. If the fault follow the servo, then servo. If the fault remains on the same side, rx. Right?

Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFiz View Post
Well, this came out of no where,

I was happily flying the Genius in the backyard and during forward flight in a straight line past me the heli without any input pitched left violently into the grass.

Since then when I initilise it the left servo arm immediately after the green light (indicating proper initialisation) the servo arm drops straight down to its full extent and wont move no matter what inputs. It just zooms down there and locks in place.

I've tried unpluging and repluging it back and I've tried resetting everything, and there is nothing wrong with the servo itself. So this wouod appear to be another typical Walkera electronic glitch. I have had all sorts of dramas with Walkera FBL receivers on their bigger helis but I thought that this Genius was great and I thought that they had sorted them. But once again the Walkera electronic glitches strike!

I hope for one that this was just a one off, and I'll order a new servo as I figure it has to be the servo that's the problem, but if the problem is in the receiver then I guess I'm stuffed!

Any thoughts or ideas?????
Rafa's helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #72 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I had that happen too. It was a spread open pin on a servo wire to the RX board plug. I carefully pulled the pins out of the servo plug and pinched them together a little so they would make better contact with the male pins on the RX. Solved the servo full to one position problem for me.

Getting on an airplane in about 2 hours and will be home late tonight. Tomorrow I will try to get some flying vids and stuff.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it is the servo that's the problem, before I came back to this post I switched around the ail and pit positions of the servo plugs in the rcvr and the same servo did the same thing. So definitely the servo. Great minds Rafa!

Wow Bob you must have great eye sight and the hands of a brain surgeon to be able to correct those wires. I'll give it a go, but I think I'll order a set of servos as aback up!

To add insult to injury yesterday I flew my old MCPX into a tree over the valley next to my property. Thought I was about 10 metres from it but nah, smash and drop to the valley floor where unfortunately it will have to remain, completely inaccessable. Luckily I have one last MCPX, the only micro heli I now have flying!

Phil.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all, great thread.

My Genius + Devo 8 is at PO awaiting collection. Will be off to get it first thing in the a.m.

I originaly ordered the Devo7, then after having a read and looking at transmitters I was thinking Devo6, after some more thought I ended up getting Devo8.

I wanted full size tx.
I wanted easy to setup touch screen, even if hard to see outside.
"Looks" like Devo8 has more features, like hover and throttle trim. Also appears to have some extra switches. Looks to have similar features I am used to having.

Anyway, big thanks to you all, and Bob.

Off to look at setup vids.

heli64
heli64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a question.

My genius is said to come with a "new" tail blade. Is this the same as on Bob's heli? is this more like Blade tail? or is it just stronger version of original tail. TIA

heli64
Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never imagined that would be such a hard one to answer.

Have collected heli, time for some fun.

heli64
Old 10-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a question.

My genius is said to come with a "new" tail blade. Is this the same as on Bob's heli? is this more like Blade tail? or is it just stronger version of original tail. TIA

heli64

Hi,

Hard to tell without a photo or discription of the tail. Where does it refer to a "new" tail blade? Maybe Walkera have already listened to Bob and implimented a change. Way to go Bob!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #78 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I cant answer that either as maybe what I already have is the new one? I guess I would have to see what the new one looks like. I will see if I can ask Walkera next time I talk with them.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

it seems that Walkera did not change the tail blades at all. why do you refers yours as "New" one?
DLY0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLY0 View Post
it seems that Walkera did not change the tail blades at all. why do you refers yours as "New" one?
See here: http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-ge...m-edition.html about 1/3 way down page.

Quote:

"New Design Rudder
One piece tail motor holder with the new smooth tail motor,
and the thicker, re-designed tail rotor blade"

This is why I ask. have a nice day.

heli64

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in