Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 550

Hurricane 550 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: Stripped gears

I'll have to borrow a little dremel jig. I can't send it back I don't think, because they are going out of business.

Matt

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Matt, here are a couple pics of the simple frame stiffener that I made and installed. Forgive the crappy pics, they were taken a long time ago with a cheap camera.
I basically drilled and tapped the end of the motor mount, then attached an aluminum plate to it that also bolts to the frame.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the Pic Jerry. Looks pretty simple. I just don't know any machine shop guys, to cut and tap the holes, but I'll have to come up with something. In the meantime I have a G10 frame coming with too small servo holes that I'll have to enlarge, but hopefully that won't be to difficult. I still want to do both though, so I have a spare frame set whether it's the plastic one or the G10 one.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not much to report, but I did get a couple of quick flights in tonight before the sun went down. I replaced the front gear with a 60T and the pinion with a 16T. These lowered my gear ratio, but I didn't bother to increase the throttle curve. Since the last couple of weeks were stressful at work, and my weekend up until now consisted of running around, I was just enjoying putting around and doing semi-high speed passes. I have my new G10 frame but I haven't opened the box yet . I'm just happy it's working reliably.

Just on a side note, I bought my son a 1SQ quad ready to fly from my LHS for his 9th birthday. That thing is a ball to fly around the house and my son really likes it.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...Good to hear....!
I have a Syma X1 that gets LOTS of air time !
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I forgot to mention, I was flying with a swollen index finger. I think I got bit by a spider when I picked up a sprinkler this morning to move it and water the lawn. I had this sudden feeling of pressure on my finger (swelling) and an odd numbness. It didn't hurt until a few minutes later. I had a brief, fleeting thought about those spider bites that kill off body parts (necrosis?) and thought, well I mostly use thumbs anyway and a neck strap, I can do this!

The swellings going down so I guess my finger will live another day.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made that cross member part out of wood. Seems to do just fine and only took me a little bit of time.
sp00fman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now I stripped a 61T main gear (rear gear @ main shaft). Looks like the hub came loose and the gear became off center then stripped. I've ordered a new hub in case I need it or if it's not true, but the rear gear is out of stock everywhere I've looked. Anyone have a spare they are willing to part with for a few bucks?

That one isn't from the frame flexing, I wouldn't think. Is there a trick to these? Are you gluing the hell out of the screws that go into the gear? I have been using a small amount of thick CA but maybe I need a generous dose.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe the X4 ( not the X4II ) 61T rear gear is the same as the Hurricane gear. Different part number and sold in sets of 2. You could email Empire Hobby and ask them just to be sure. Jack @ Empire usually responds quickly.

I usually just put a dab of cheap dollar store super glue on the screws. Never had any come loose yet.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

X5 auto gear might even work. check the tooth count to be sure.
sp00fman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did email Jack and I can use an x4 gear. Hoping he didn't already ship my order so he can add to it. Thanks for the input!

Per Jack:
These will work no problem...http://www.empirerc.com/gaui-x4-61t-gear-p-6233.html

Matt

Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I stopped at my local hobby shop for something else and they had X5 61T gears. They looked the same without having my gear to compare it to, so I picked up a pair while I'm waiting for the other to arrive. Anyone know if these will work? I guess I'll know tonight after work. Been working 12 hr days.

Edit.... X5 gear appears to be the exact same. Bad news is the hub screws chewed into my frame. I have to look to decide if it is air worthy. I bought a new hub assembly. It comes with a plastic (EDIT: Metal not plastic) spacer.

**Does this go between the hub assembly and lower bearing block? ** If so mine didn't have one which might explain the failure. I'm 99% sure this is where it needs to go. Would also explain why my collar didn't line up with the groove on the main shaft well! Wow, this is what happens when you buy a heli used. I did my best to to through it, but WOW!
Matt

Last edited by flyingquisinart; 08-30-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes that black washer HAS to be in there, It was most likely your problem, lets the gear ride too high, causing the hub to rub, friction, and a slight loss of gear mesh from being mis-aligned. It's there to spin the inner race of the lower bearing, and to space the gear away from the frame.(hence the smalI O.D., and the large I.D. ) I bought a 550 on e-bay that was missing one,so I made one. Yes it goes above the hub,below the bearing.
papa38 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep. It's all back together. It looks like there's enough meat on the frame/bearing block where it gouged, to hold up. I replaced my front gear hub too as the soft aluminum was starting to strip from the grub screws. There are definitely a couple of maintenance items on these heli's. I also got my el cheapo Turnigy canopy in from Hobby King, I used my points and paid for shipping only. For the $$ it looks really nice, but it is definitely thin.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here you go Matt http://rvmhc.com/manuals/Gaui%20Hurr...0%20Manual.pdf
Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can BARELY see the washer in the manual, and they don't point it out. The only reason I knew it was missing on the 550 is because I had already assembled a 425 kit from the box. A wonderfully flying machine when it's all dialed in! Jeff
Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey PT,

I finally opened the box on the G10 frame. You are welcome to it if you think you can do something with it. The layout is different, and maybe you can figure out how to enlarge the servo holes, but it has threaded inserts at one end of each servo hole, that would somehow have to be relocated. I have no idea how the other half of each servo is supposed to mount.

Edit.. Oh, I found the floating mounts for the other side of the servos. Maybe this *could* work if the existing threaded mounts can be moved. I just don't know if this is an exercise in futility...
Matt

Old 10-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #39 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default G-10

Hey Matt
Hold on to that frame for a bit....You never know WHAT will happen...!
I was able to pick up my dream Gaui frame a while ago..."The Head Hunter Frame"!!!
I will set it up as another 550 ( had a complete boom in my "Stock" ) Scorp 4020-910 is already mounted up waiting for the YEP 100 ESC to arrive...DS821's are on their way too...
GY401 gyro is here(used) and now I'm looking for a tail servo and complete gear train.
Head is a complete stocker from the gubbins bin....I will see what I can find at the Heli Freak Fun Fly coming up next weekend north of my location(2.5 hours)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

heh heh heh.....i just got a little "stiffy" hey boys hows it hanging. matt....pleased to meet ya....this will sort out the majority of front and rear gear stripping probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymac View Post
Hey Matt, here are a couple pics of the simple frame stiffener that I made and installed. Forgive the crappy pics, they were taken a long time ago with a cheap camera.
I basically drilled and tapped the end of the motor mount, then attached an aluminum plate to it that also bolts to the frame.

kahn10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in