Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor 3D Questions

I am just starting out and build my first hell (HK450). So a buddy of mine gave me his Flymentor 3D that he could never figure out. I mounted it to my HK450 and followed a set of videos from Cruzroy. I have a few issues to ask about. First when I try and 90 my servos using the trim in the Flymentor programming card, I get no response from the servos. They will not adjust up or down. Second, the flymentor is adjusting the wrong direction for the ailerons, how do I reverse this? Third, I was trying to use my gyro instead of the FM. But when I turn on the FM, the gyro doesn't light up. And lastly, when I try and take off (I manually adjusted the servos to get a level swash), the FM seems to do crazy things with the corrections. It adjusts right, left forward, back, with no rhyme or reason. I haven't even left the ground and I can see the blades moving all over the place. Could this be a gain setting on the CCD? BTW I am using a Turnigy 9x Tx.

Sorry for so many questions, but I have googled and googled but can't find a NOOB version of answers to these questions.
Nola26 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola26 View Post
I am just starting out and build my first hell (HK450). So a buddy of mine gave me his Flymentor 3D that he could never figure out. I mounted it to my HK450 and followed a set of videos from Cruzroy. I have a few issues to ask about. First when I try and 90 my servos using the trim in the Flymentor programming card, I get no response from the servos. They will not adjust up or down. Second, the flymentor is adjusting the wrong direction for the ailerons, how do I reverse this? Third, I was trying to use my gyro instead of the FM. But when I turn on the FM, the gyro doesn't light up. And lastly, when I try and take off (I manually adjusted the servos to get a level swash), the FM seems to do crazy things with the corrections. It adjusts right, left forward, back, with no rhyme or reason. I haven't even left the ground and I can see the blades moving all over the place. Could this be a gain setting on the CCD? BTW I am using a Turnigy 9x Tx.

Sorry for so many questions, but I have googled and googled but can't find a NOOB version of answers to these questions.
There is a very good section here at HF dedicated to setting these gyro's up properly. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=267961
Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok so I built the 450 and did not put the Flymentor on. I could never get it set right and just gave up. Now I have an HK500 that I bought from a friend. I was trying again to install the Flymentor but again problems. I get the thing all hooked up and try and plug it in and nothing. I try to attach the programmer and won't connect. Then I unplug the gyro and it powers up but gets really hot after a few minutes. I have not servo controls either. Could the Flymentor be broken or is the input voltage wrong. The 450 was a 3s battery and the 500 is a 6s battery. Really don't know whats wrong.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok so I built the 450 and did not put the Flymentor on. I could never get it set right and just gave up. Now I have an HK500 that I bought from a friend. I was trying again to install the Flymentor but again problems. I get the thing all hooked up and try and plug it in and nothing. I try to attach the programmer and won't connect. Then I unplug the gyro and it powers up but gets really hot after a few minutes. I have not servo controls either. Could the Flymentor be broken or is the input voltage wrong. The 450 was a 3s battery and the 500 is a 6s battery. Really don't know whats wrong.
Flymentor does not get hot, so it looks like it is faulty. Plugging the servos in the wrong way around can cause this problem, it will tolerate it for a short time and get warm but more than a couple of minutes and it will be damaged, the negative wires should be on the outside. Flymentor takes its power from the receiver and that should be 5.2 or 6 volts so that is unlikely to be the problem.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered a new Flymentor 3D and have been installing it tonight. I can't get the helibal program to work on my Win 7 laptop but I have a program card. I got everything wired up and I set a new model heli in my Turnigy 9x Tx. Now I have done the basic setup and when I tilt the heli the swash reacts properly and the rudder reacts when the tail is rotated. What is not working is the servo control from my Tx. The only servo I can control is the rudder. I have no control over the pitch, ail, ele. I can spool up the motor and control the rudder and thats it. When I go into the display menu I have no signal being registered. I don't know what to do to correct this. I think it probably has something to do with the swash mix but according to FM manual I was supposed to turn it off, so I set all parameters to 0 on the mix. How can I get the servo control to register on my Tx? Kinda stuck here.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

you have a tx /rx issue protocall is signal is sent from tx to rx then flymentor sends input to the proper servo
Your gyro is compansating correctly and the tail moves im asumeing in heading hold so the flymentor is working.
Are u sure your radio is bound to RX ?

Did you set the radio to one servo?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
kayakboy69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakboy69 View Post
you have a tx /rx issue protocall is signal is sent from tx to rx then flymentor sends input to the proper servo
Your gyro is compansating correctly and the tail moves im asumeing in heading hold so the flymentor is working.
Are u sure your radio is bound to RX ?

Did you set the radio to one servo?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
How do you set the radio to one servo?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok I got the servos working properly. Now I need to get the Flymentor to correct in the proper direction. Right now when I lean the heli to the right the flymentor corrects to the right and when the heli is tilted to the left it corrects to the left. I have reversed the yaw setting but it still corrects wrong.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

See instruction sticky at the top of the flight stabilisation section. First set the TX, then using servo reverse on the H/H controller so that the servos move correctly when you tip the heli, including the tail. Then using stick reverse on the H/H controller to set stick directions including the tail. It must be done in that order.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ivor, nice to see you are still on here dishing out your excellent advice, how you doing buddy.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sorry, but what is the H/H controller?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what is the H/H controller?
Sorry should have been clearer. Hand Held Controller/ programmer.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
Hi Ivor, nice to see you are still on here dishing out your excellent advice, how you doing buddy.
Hi Pril, yes I look in every day or two. Would have thought that Flymentor would have been replaced by something better at a similar price by now but it has not so people are still buying them and still need help, so I do what I can. Getting old and some health problems so don't fly much any more and when I do it's useually a quad. Have a couple of them fitted with GPS, it amuses me to park it in the sky or flick a switch and watch it return to me and land. Hope you are well.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Hi Pril, yes I look in every day or two. Would have thought that Flymentor would have been replaced by something better at a similar price by now but it has not so people are still buying them and still need help, so I do what I can. Getting old and some health problems so don't fly much any more and when I do it's useually a quad. Have a couple of them fitted with GPS, it amuses me to park it in the sky or flick a switch and watch it return to me and land. Hope you are well.
Yes Ivor, by looking at the posts I very much see this happening as no other option seems to exist for the same value. All my FB helis still have FM mounted which works well, I also have BNIB spare one lying around.

If/when I go FBL at any point I will probably switch to IKON or MSH Brain controllers which seem reasonably priced and include a leveling facility. The highest step probably being the DJI NAZA H but the amount of flying I been doing in the last two years does not seem to justify the effort or cost.

Anyway must say FM is still working well and reliably when required (like when one needs to scratch ones nose) especially for relaxed flying in confined spaces.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
flymentor 3d, setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in