Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 700E swashplate leveling tool and blade pitch help

Hi Guys,

This is my first ever build! My wife bought me the 700E basic kit 3 christmas's ago and i'm still yet to get it in the air as I have been buying bits and pieces when i've had the spare cash. Talk about thrown in the deep end hey!!

Anyway I'm scratching my head trying to work this swashplate leveling and blade pitch setup properly.

I bought this tool Swashplate leveler (12mm w/ POM inside) - T-rex 700 - RED

All the pictures and youtube videos i've seen on this subject the legs on the tool sit on the swashplate itself. The one that I have does not touch the swash, instead the legs sit on top of the ball link as you can see in the attached picture which has made me think that this is the wrong size leveling tool. Can someone please confirm this? Or please explain how to use it

My other question, when i'm setting the servo's up for 90 degrees. As you know with the 700 the servo's are mounted in the frame at about 15 degrees to the horizontal. Is the 90 degree angle supposed to be relative to the horizontal (ie, a 0 degree blade pitch) or is it supposed to be perpendicular to the servo (ie, 105 degrees to the horizontal)? At the moment I have it setup perpendicular to the servo.

Thanks in advance for the help, i've been treading water in the deep end for years now and it's time to ask for help!

Danny

Last edited by Mercuriell; 07-14-2014 at 05:37 AM..
dstringe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

That leveller was first marketed by Trueblood but has been much ripped off since then. It doesn't matter where the legs sit as long as it is on identical points on the swash. It is a PIA as you have to have the rotor head off to,use it. A split leveller like this is easier to use or you can eyeball it.

The servo arms should be square to the body of the servo at mid stick so there is an equal arc of movement for up and down stick

Last edited by Mercuriell; 07-14-2014 at 05:38 AM..
Mercuriell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
TT
Registered Users

A zip tie around the main shaft and clipped to the right length can be used to level the swashplate and costs nothing. I prefer to use the original Truebloods. A good zero-pitch tool is also a nice thing to have and they're usually pretty cheap.
TT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the same as Merc

Quick and easy
maxw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The swash leveler will work sitting on the links - I can't see pics either -

The links should be perpendicular -

The book does give illustrations on how the links like up. Is this a flybar?
SAB - 700 Night Setup--------700 Competition
nightstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default missing images

Thanks Merc, that leveler looks a lot better as taking the head off is a massive PIA

The swash leveler that I was sold was specifically for the 700 model. If it is not right for the 700 then I will return it for the one Merc has.

Nightstalker, Yes it's a flybar version.

Last edited by Mercuriell; 07-14-2014 at 05:37 AM..
Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

Nothing wrong with the leveller you have been sold, just a different way of doing the job. Resting the leveller on the ball links works fine, just make sure any moulding flash on the links doesn't stand proud and give erroneous results.

As a flybar model you only have to set this up once initially and then only after repairs when your head gonna be off probably anyway.

Hook up,the radio mid stick and all trims neutral, get the arms on the splines as square as possible then fine adjust using radio subtrim. Set the links to length given in the manual and then fine tune the level using the ball links and voila!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
Nothing wrong with the leveller you have been sold, just a different way of doing the job. Resting the leveller on the ball links works fine, just make sure any moulding flash on the links doesn't stand proud and give erroneous results.

As a flybar model you only have to set this up once initially and then only after repairs when your head gonna be off probably anyway.

Hook up,the radio mid stick and all trims neutral, get the arms on the splines as square as possible then fine adjust using radio subtrim. Set the links to length given in the manual and then fine tune the level using the ball links and voila!
+1

I use the Align one plus it fits the 550, 600, 700 and 800, it rests on the edge of the swashplate arms which I think is a bit better than the ball links.

http://www.align-trex.co.uk/accessor...00-h70118.html
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Set the links to length given in the manual and then fine tune the level using the ball links and voila!
Is it really as easy as that? My problem with the manual is that it gives the length of all the linkage rods with approx next to it. Maybe i'm just being anal.

What about the blade pitch? I am trying to set it up for +/-10 degrees as per the general flight setup in the manual. It just gives me a throttle curve. What about pitch curve? And what linkage rods do I adjust to get the blade pitch at the correct angle?

Thanks for your help guys it really is appreciated.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a good video by Finless on FB setups. They are a little more complicated due to the mixing arms that are not present in a FBL setup. The biggest concept is that at mid stick, all arms should be level, and both blade grips should be at 0 pitch.

The pitch curve for initial setup is 0-50-100 linear from low stick to full stick.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in