Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question MSH 500 or HDX 500 se

wow i am really torn up about what to do what to do ...... after i bought my trex 500 i noticed how much i really like the size, it's pertect for the the park and the field for size and power. but now i want to get another same size heli. so i am torn up between the msh 500 and hdx 500 i think both are nice and i am sure that they both fly well but i can't have both as much as i would like too! what do you guys think any input would be awesome.
Trevor January is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Trevor,
Depends on how you want to fly it, and what you want to see.

If you like Sport/3D flying or want to learn it, their is no comparing between the two heli's performance wise Imho.
I know how the HDX flies/performs and looks, and overall it's a very good helicopter.
I now have a Protos, but never considered buying the HDX, i did consider the T500 though.
In fact The Protos has the best power to weight ratio of the three.

Eric
Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One of my flying buddies had a HDX 500. He owned it for a few weeks then sold it. He was always tweaking it. There were many issues. I think he worked on it more than he flew it. And not much support from the seller/distributor/manufacturer.

He now owns a Protos and loves it. It had a static issue which is easily fixed. And customer service is fantastic! Known issues are being fixed as they show up and new parts are being sent to customers free of charge. No dealing with a middleman either. Corrado (one of the designers) himself often handles issues personally.

I also have a Protos and it is my favorite heli. Period.

Go for a Protos.
Vergnügenstabi
DriveWRX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talking

well that sounds like it's easy. it seems the more i read about the protos the more i like them and want one, is the version from readyheli the best version to get?? or is there anoter version that i should be looking at? and what was the cause of the static issue ? the trex is knowen to have them as well and i have not had it yet.

well it's looking more and more like i am going to get the protos
Old 08-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was also thinking of getting a MSH protos but the reports of it's frame cracking frequently on crashes made me put it off. Did the carbon frames increase it's stability and survivability during a crash or is that just a side effect of it being so light ?
jujiro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Trevor,
I own both the Protos and the HDX 500 SE. As others have already stated, the Protos has amazing power to weight performance but it's at the expense of durability. The HDX is far sturdier with lots of beautifully machined metal parts. There are 5 guys (and growing rapidly) at my field with the Protos. I've seen the heli "stuffed" a few times now and all I can say is I'm glad the parts are inexpensive. One guy was flying along entering a gentle cilmb when the drive belt snapped. We're now watching for belt "issues". The HDX, on the other hand, with the right power combo is a great heli. I've got a Kora 15-12 motor with a Jazz 55-10-32 running on 5s and it screams. Doesn't heat up nearly as much as the Protos either. One other guy has my same power combo in his Protos and his performance on 5s is frightening. Barely gets warm either. All in all though, the Protos is hard to beat as a "stock" machine and all of us here at NE Helicrew love ours. Good luck with your decision
AyremanWB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks man already got it on order
Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the Protos and I just sold an HDX500. No comparison in my book. The frames may break in a crash but they are very inexpensive. I have the Kora 15-12 and it is running on 5s and it is just as powerful as the Lipotech motor on 6s plus is comes down almost cold after a flight here in FL.....Ron

Last edited by Laughingstill; 08-21-2008 at 11:25 AM..
Laughingstill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in