Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > HeliDirect

HeliDirect HeliDirect HDX300, 450, 500, 550, 600 Factory Sponsored Support Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #201 (permalink)

I thought so on the charger...that it was fine

as for the batteries..I will test accordingly as you've sugested...

the overkill unit...is what xmseller refers to as an "ubec"..I thought that was only if you would run hotter packs...like 4 cell... i dunno...

and then that woodpeckering..was the gyro locked too tight...I have it on bout 75 percent on the heli..the rest I was working from the controler... seems great now!...I've pretty much fingered it out. :wink:

one thing I'm dreading is a costly err......when I first got my heli set up...I let the battery drain down to almost nothing...because I was trying to set the gyro and stuff..... hmmm...I read that that's no good.......and i also read that that cheapo charger's uncapable of recovering an undercharged battery..(whew maybe it's not dead...)..the book says as soon as throttle performance is diminishing...stop flying. hope I didn't toast a 45 dollar pack.....

Did you see bp hobbies...bladesets for 9 bucks!!!! I got 5 sets on the way...I'll let you know if they're a fit...I'm pretty confident that they are.... (from the honey bee king).... no point in keeping a secret...might as well share...but wait till I post if they fit or not... if so...dang that's a price break from 16-18 dollars a pair.

thanks ptremb ..will update on those blades...(I actually have a set of those "indestructables"...but I can see them trashing the head/spindle/etc......if the blades make light contact on the ground or otherwise... the wood ones blow apart with the littlest scuff at full hs...I like it beter that way...protects the head.)

casey sigmon ? did you get your kinks worked out?
micen2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #202 (permalink)

Hey guys. thanks for your input so far.
I've put a align head locking gyro and jr 6103, but it still going nose left.
i think i need to go neutral on all my trims seting up gyro. 90 degrees and all that.
so i've still got some work to do. what degree of pitch do you recommend for the tail ? Seems to need alot more right.when it gets light it goes right. when you throttle up its goes nose laf Fast. ive reversed the gyro so thats not it. does it need to be mounted vertical to the shaft or flat on the tail? so close.... yet so far away.

Patiently awaiting flight

Casey A. Sigmon
Casey A. Sigmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #203 (permalink)

Ptremb? Got any Suggestions?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #204 (permalink)

Ptremb thanks ill try your suggestions and see what happens. thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:48 AM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

what kind of setup do you have?motor Kv,pinion,max pitch value measured on blades,throttle/pitch curves.what tail box do you have?
The gyro should be mounted so the lablel is parallel to the main shaft and setup like in the vid.(same gyro,different sticker)
Old 11-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey A. Sigmon
Ptremb? Got any Suggestions?
I had the same problem...it was pitch before headspeed....adjust your curve so that you get a good intimidating headspeed before the heli wants to lift off....much more intimidating hs ,than the blade cp . it's a heavier heli.

This actually corrected my issue. then it was just dialing in the gyro...

that 32 tooth pulley dont help either...I went ahead and got the so called upgrade 40t. then you have to move your pulley guides back to the back holes....which means temporarily removing the servos...

the tail on mine is at 0...the gyro takes care of all of it. you should be at 0 pitch center as far as I can tell..you want equal throw in each direction...if the gyro does it's job..it will fly....also make sure your gyro is correct...when you move the heli tail, with the gyro on fully, the pitch-corrections should "airscrew" away from errors.
also...if full mechanical correction is not working ethier..meaning flying by stick......then you may want to check either that 40t or your pitch may be too steep too early on, in windup.

mine's been flying...now I'm at the point where I'm finding lots of faults with this kit....number one being how easily the small bellcrank flange on the back gives"" out causing a crash. sigh...they're acctually giving this part away at hd, to make up for that factor...yea helps alot now...

and the tail shaft does fold up like butter at high rpms with hard servo action....

lacking step washers in important shaft locations.

the dampening is very soft in the head...etc etc..

this is hardly anything more than forward flight bling. it's not ready as is, for even agressive forward flying...parts fail too easily!!!!!!!!!!!!!...namely that tail assy..

however you can fly it softly....whatever ..sigh.

bottom line: Mass producing this heli kit was a half hearted effort...with little research for the money it costs, to purchase one.

I didnt want to believe all the grief I was hearing...some was true......sigh most was true.

here in this early clip...i had not enough headspeed...just enough to lift off and hold a heading...but not enough to recover from hard forward flight easily...so i adjusted my pitch to throttle curve to be more hs before pos pitch.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1344793725

here's a newer clip...this one is with the tail recently repaired....but the collective seems a lil sticky or slushy still...like too much play...I'm liking those braces that one poster made...to hold the long control arms from slopping.. I was trying to keep the heli stable in the video frame and do some fun shtuff...but it was too dark- sigh it was getting dark too early round here.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1392777934
Old 11-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #207 (permalink)

3200kv, 10 tooth pinon, Alighn RCE-BL25G ESC, 10 Degrees Pitch, Plastic tail assembly (JUNK).
Old 11-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
3200kv, 10 tooth pinon, Alighn RCE-BL25G ESC, 10 Degrees Pitch, Plastic tail assembly (JUNK).
yes but your pitch to headspeed ratios...curves...thats where a piro can happen. need a cool amount of hs...then collective should blend...not too soon...this will make the heli piro..beyond what the tail can maintain. your heli pitch should be at 0 with no throttle..or in some cases...such as my radio...the "preset" stock eflite...just a hair under 0. ...like -1/2.

there are many things thaty can be wrong...take it from me...I've worked it out ...obviously...

for one your head could be set up incorrectly and bind before complete ccpm movements are able...

but your sitch sounds like what ptremb showed me...more headspeed...is heli logic...less pitch, more hs...then add pitch... it seems to me after this experiment that more hs...makes for more momentum..thus producing less torque effect on the fuselage (meaning piroing tail effect)....as the motor is now working less (by more hs.../momentum...kinda like rolling downhill as opposed to rolling uphill) to torque the head around. The same as a car idleing facing uphill , as opposed to barelling down the expressway at 60...less strain on the engine= less torque... see what i mean...I thought the opposite..that a slower headspeed produced less torque effect on the fuselage...its just the opposite, when taking off. even the 40t wont help maintain a heading without enough hs.

listen....also those symetricals dont provide the same lift as flat bottoms...i have symetricals...and they require more pitch and hs to fly than flat bottoms.

my tail was piroing happlessly ...could not maintain heading... first added hs...that worked better...

then upgraded to 40t...so the tail servo wouldnt work as hard..

wow....it really makes more sense to me now...

a home depot cart full of concrete blocks..is the perfect example...when you first start off...it requires more effort to push than if you've already gained momentum...with enough momentum...you can push it with one pinky... but first starting off annd slower speed...makes you have to lean into it and almost slip out of your sneakers to get it moving....

casey... it is the same with headspeed...the tail will be less effected by unhelpful torques when the hs is higher....eureka PTREMB ! i'VE GOT IT!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

:idea:

I'm happy for you micen,Kinda like flying,once you get it,you get it.

Ok Casey,Looks like you have suffecient head speed by the math (2200).Since you are using a computer radio it will be easier for you.I need to know what your throttle curve & pitch curve settings are,ie the percent you have set in your tx for each point .As an example mine is as such for NORM
Pitch
1)40 (this equals about 3° negitive pitch)
2)45
3)50 (this equals 0°)
4)75 (this equals about 5-6° positive pitch and the point you should be at when in a hover)
5)100 (this equals 10° positive pitch)

Throttle
1)0
2)50
3)90
4)95
5)100

Actualy the plastic tail is fairly decent unless you get the tail fin caught in it than it blows apart.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #210 (permalink)

Hey. I have the pitch at 0,25,75,100. Throttle is the same. I had a cheap tall servo that evedently burned up so i put another one on it. The gyro is working because it was wagging very fast. But I am confused about the tail pitch. if you go 0 degrees pitch it doesn't produce enough right throw to even hold it in a hover. So I put more right in it. this can't be the right way to go because as you throttle up i wants to go hard Right, but as soon as you get to a hover and throttle up it goes hard left. i cant find the happy medium. there is more than enough head speed before pitch.
it goes hard left. and do i need mixing on? throttle to rudd? i havnet been able to view the gyro setup on finless build videos. it downloads but will only play first min.
thanks

Casey
Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #211 (permalink)

I have some photos in my gallery. You can see by my axel how much right yaw is in it.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

lets see if we can't get you fixed up.

First thing I would do is change the pitch setting to the way I have mine listed.The reason for this is you don't need to have -10° pitch in "normal mode",just need a touch to help you get back to the ground if it's a windy day.
That also puts extra torque on the frame that you don't want in the initial spool up,because you are now trying to drive the heli hard to the ground

Second,on your tail,move your hub to the end of the shaft with just a smidge sticking out,than move the shaft thru the tail drive gear so you have a smidge sticking out past the side of the tail box on the left side.This ensures you have enough shaft in the bearing ,and achieve full travel on the tail slider w/o hitting the tail case w/ the lever

Third,when you have a head hold gyro you don't want any revo mix.The gyro will interprit this as a course correction(same as moving the tx stick).If the tail is wagging turn down the gain a smidge.

I just tried the gyro vid and it worked fine for me,are you streaming or d/l'ing.If streaming try to do a save to disk than watch it.If d/l'ing try to stream it.What version of WMplayer are you using?If you just can't seem to get it to run.let me know.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #213 (permalink)

all I gotta say...is that tail shaft for the cnc press fit..is a real p.o.s.

and the allen bolts are like butter throughout the heli...and that damn bellcrank flange is overmilled and weak....

now they call the replacement piece theyre working on...version 2...chea !

try correct the design flaws after you sell mass market.

and that shaft upgrade...for what you pay...should be what it came with in the first place...

sigh....now the press fit gear has become loose..

listen I know how to fix everything....and reinforce the bellcrank foot with a scrap piece and a dremel and some cyano.....
and I know how to drill out a flybar cage..

and I know how to goto the hardware store and get "required" washers..and replace buttery screws...

this kit has put me in a funk...

has me so depressed for how much time and cash went into it...

I could have a trex 600 sitting waiting for a radio....with what I've spent into this .......hmmm...I heard someone else call it pretty junk.

sorry guys...it is.

can it fly...sure...but to be called a "highend" "upgrade" "full bling" kit...and have to buffer it constantly to keep it flying...not even results from a crash...is depressing and has put me in a funk....I feel like a fool whose money was soon pated from his wallet...money that could have been used to further my flying skills..not my homebrew handy andy "what can we use to stiffen it" mentality. sigh

but I'm not a quitter...I'm an inovator..

here's what i'll do...lol :idea:

I'll get my trex 600..and put a servo release mechanism on the skids...then attach the hdx300 to the "bombdrop".. :glasses2:

then fly up to about 60-100 feet....and throw the switch... :wink:

of course there will be no battery servos or anything in the hdx to acctually fly it...lol :twisted:

wish I was rich...cause that's what I'd do. lmao. :glasses:

but because..I'm a humble working man...I'll just strip it down and put it on ebay.....or "packrat" it in a box somewhere. :?

sigh...real depressed about how little this manufacturer ,or it's distributors, care for thier customers satisfaction....even thier responses are halfhearted..."uhh well...you have dremel...yes?" :?:

yea ...i have a dremmel. and i have an hdx300...
Old 11-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been thru 2 tail shafts and not even got it to run up or even hover. 10 seconds and the damn tail turns to butter.
johnnychimpo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #215 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yep.... go get some music wire and torch it RED HOT then drop it in water to harden it.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless
Yep.... go get some music wire and torch it RED HOT then drop it in water to harden it.

Bob

sad ...isn't it? You'd think they'd have rehearsed this kit... a bit better, for what it is...an expensive pretty piece of junk... ooohhhh ...it's sweltering in my soul :? .....hd bombed on this farce of a kit..... shoulda left my cp pro together...I got a bout 30 more feet of altitude and several hours more flying time on it... or at least bought my t-rex 600 and built it up..while flying the stickfigure blade around....

all because I wanted to "toy" around with this piece of sheol.

all ya gotta do is....and just... then take the...and put the ...sigh....

step one..

avoid this kit at all costs....except free.

I'm so mad at myself ...with the money and time...I've spent ...I could have gotten a killer kit or a great radio....towards better horizons.

by the way bob...like your forums. :wink: cool site.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #217 (permalink)

Hey Guys. After applying your suggestions yesterday my bird finally leaped up into the air. It's kinda touchy and fast but the cnc head and tail should help with that.
flew it a couple of times but still needs a little tweeking. Should have a video this weekend. it seems to be holding together rather well considering all your problems.
So its about time for some aggressive foward flight, if all goes well and it don't fall apart, well try some inverted flight. has plenty of negitive. well see, if its as bad as you say i be p@#sed soon. At least i got it in the air. i hope im not as dissappointed as you were. thanks Let you know what happens.

Casey A. Sigmon :twisted:
Old 11-14-2006, 07:12 AM   #218 (permalink)

hey. heli doing much better but still has a slight tendacy to go left. Should i try moving the tail linkage rod up a hole?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
hey. heli doing much better but still has a slight tendacy to go left. Should i try moving the tail linkage rod up a hole?
you should have equal throw on the tail pitch slider ...with full servo movements...and servo rod should not bottom out /or bow with full inputs...if it does bottom out...you may want to shorten your rod...or try the next hole in...however the further in you go...the less input from the rod to the tail you get.
also your servo horn should be as close to 90 degrees/when neutral, as possible..on some servos/horns , this is not possible without using trim.

so if all that is squared away...and as described
first check that you gyro gain setting (either on your tx remote..or on the gyro itself) is not to much... (if the heli is correcting abrubtly or wagging stiffly)
but more than likely, if all is as described above, try using some trim, or subtrim if you have it on your tx.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #220 (permalink)

Ok. everything is at 90. the pitch slider has equal throw. it still goes nose left even with right trim my gyro is as low as it will go. maybe i need a faster tail servo? It will hold steady until you throttle up quickly. should i try a throttle to rudder mix? maybe more right yaw as throttle increses? Or it could be in my radio. I have a set screw on my gyro but i have a remote gain wire to . Can i adjust in my radio? and were? Gear travel adjustment? I have a JR 6103 Radio im using. Have plenty of head speed before pitch. How is your's doing? ill make a video of what its doing and post it maybe it will help if you guys can see whats going on.

Thanks Casy A. Sigmon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in