Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Where to get Trex-500 Cobra AH-1 decals? Recommendations on detailing pen?

Hey guys, just re-sprayed my cobra Taimiya Light Ghost Gray (AS-26). I didn't care too much for the camouflage. Anyways, I had to strip away the decals and I don't have enough spares to redo them. Any idea where I can get the decals? I've asked my align dealers and they haven't been able to get it. I know these kits come from heliartist but I don't see it for sale on their site. I've looked at using the Mini titan cobra decals but they're too small and they aren't water stickers which won't look good. Any help would be much appreciated. It looks so plain without the decals. It's bothering me a lot.

I've also been struggling with drawing in the lines around the panels with a detailing pen. What do you guys use to detail? I've tried the Taimiya mud stick, black paint, brown paint with fine brushes. I can't get anything to work or look good. Any recommendations? I'm not particularly good at fine detail work.

Bry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141101_224532.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	546729  
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried making your own?

http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Ch...ecal-Film.html
DX9
ozflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try calie graphics... They do superb (custom) job and chances are they already have a set you need.

Gh
goodhunting is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Supercobra markings

+1 for Callie Graphics. They just did some for a 206 I'm doing and pretty much the nicest people with the best service ever. And the graphics were perfect and affordable.
47fan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Hi:

There is a local graphics supplier in the Niagara area that just did my CH-139. If you are trying to get perfect size graphics, you will need to specify the dimensions to anyone that makes them. It took a couple of tries to get things just right and the results were well worth the effort. The owner is Gwen and the company is Gwen's Graphics. She can be contacted via email at "manmech at bell.net". Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys,

I don't think I'll go for the option of printing them myself, that seems like a huge hassle as I have to deal with resizing and actually designing the decals. It's a good idea if I plan to make a lot of decals though. Nice idea, I didn't realize a printer could do that.

I've contacted Callie graphics and sent them pics of what I need. Hopefully they're able to help me. If not, I'll try to contact that shop in Niagara as Keyrigger mentioned.

BTW, I've also contacted Suki at Heliartist. She refuses to sell me anything because I accidently told her I had the Align kit. I've heard from multiple people that Heliartist make it for align and it does look identical. I guess because of copyright or something, she can't sell me the decals. She insists it will not "fit" because mine is align, lol. She told me contact Align, which is useless.

Thanks guys, BTW, I still need help with some sort of detailing pen though. If someone can recommend a product that will work, that would be great!

thanks,

Bry
Old 11-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are looking for a small tip permanent marker, check Sharpie.com.
They have ultra fine tip markers in various colors. I usually get the black at any local office supply store. The tip is just under 1mm wide.
HW.
Heliwhisperer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Testors and Tamiya make enamel detailing pens. There are others but both of these should be readily available at most hobby/craft shops.
ssmith512 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another vote for Callie graphics.. Superb custom work.
Stabes70 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

She did my Cobra project....

https://www.helifreak.com/album.php?albumid=9193
Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome. Placed an order last week. Ill post pics one they show up. Thanks guys
Old 11-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Btw decided to go with the sharpie paint pen. It came out ok but for some reason occasionally it likes to dump out a puddle of link. So i have some paint touch ups to do now.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://youtu.be/exT3VwzWpu8

I use the wash technique.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default +1 on the Wash

that works great for the panel lines. I also do an overall wash to knock down any shine. Mostly thinner and base coat with just a touch of gray or white very lightly with a air brush. It gives it the dull far away look giving you the illusion of distance between you and the model. I read somewhere on a Model railroad site that you should always go a touch lighter on the base coat to give that illusion of haze / distance between the viewer and the object.I tried it on one of those RCA 500 Hueys and it turned out very nice. I need to go back and read more about how the model railroad guys do things, they are very good at doing optical tricks to make things look great.
mbutler6063 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally got around to working on the Cobra. Just wanted to update you guys on the progress. I wet sanded the entire body with very fine grit sand paper because I didn't like how glossy the paint looked. I added panel lines with a thin sharpie pen as suggested. It was a major pita to do as the sharpie paint pen liked to randomly dump huge blotches of paint everywhere. I had to wet sand a lot of the blotchy paint off. The sharpie pen's finish came out a bit too glossy, the lines appear too defined. Maybe I can wash it out a bit? I got the decals from Callie Graphics as you guys suggested. She did a fantastic job and I got all black decals. I also have a dark gray set that I might use later on as that's more true to the real look of the AH-1. I was surprised that they were vinyl's and not water stickers. However, after applying them, vinyl's are actually a lot better. The detail is nicer and they are very easy to apply. They look great. I will use Callie again in the future for my custom graphics.

BTW, I'm not by any means an artist when it comes to building scale models, so it's not going to be a true faithful scale. I know that the colour scheme "Ghost Gray" is mainly used on the Viper, but meh. I think it came out ok. I'm much happier with this scheme as compared to Align's original camo. It literally made the scale heli look like a toy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11041797_10153793315281002_8897665592540486589_n.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	575399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150302_193350.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	575407  
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looking good!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks!

Also, the skids are made of aluminum and are painted black from the factory. I don't know how they are painted but I can't seem to get the Tamiya paint to stick on the skids. The paint just flakes off. I tried sanding down the skids but the paint still doesn't stick. Any ideas? I may just clean the rest of the paint off and keep the skids black. It might be better for contrast anyways.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotechnica View Post
Thanks!

Also, the skids are made of aluminum and are painted black from the factory. I don't know how they are painted but I can't seem to get the Tamiya paint to stick on the skids. The paint just flakes off. I tried sanding down the skids but the paint still doesn't stick. Any ideas? I may just clean the rest of the paint off and keep the skids black. It might be better for contrast anyways.
Aluminum is a pain to paint. Sand them all the way down with pretty aggressive sandpaper to raw aluminum. Then go find some "Self-Etching" primer in a spray can, generally found at most hardware stores, Rustoleum is a brand I have used in the past. Degrease the raw aluminum, then prime with the self etching primer, then paint. It still might not be super durable, but if done properly, it should be OK.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in