Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gifted a 450 3D. How should I proceed?

Hey guys, this is posted in another 450 forum as well.

I traded a toy helicopter for a Blade 450 3D. The guy said he was done with it and wanted the toy for his daughter.

He told me the frame was broken and needed to be replaced.

I took the entire thing apart (first time I have done this to any helicopter. Been in this hobby for 2 months). Besides the frame, I found the servo that plugs into the Aux plug on the receiver is toast as well. The main gear also needs to be replaced. The head and shaft and everything attached looks great. Nothing bent or binding. I did spool it up before I took it apart to see if everything was working. Everything responded as it should. I only got it to be light on the skids, never actually took off as I don't want to repair anything else.

So my question is (coming from a complete noob standpoint):

1. Should I sell the parts individually on ebay as I already have it taken apart? ie: CF Blades, 420 motor, ESC, AR6115E receiver, head, tail etc.

2. Spend the $60 on parts to fix it and...
a) Keep it and fly it as I only own a 200 SRX right now?
b) Sell it once it's fixed up as a whole working unit?

I don't know if it would be worth it to fix it or not as it's discontinued, but it would be a super cheap first CP heli for me.

Thanks for all your input ahead of time!
T_Dogg80 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fix it and fly it. You'll like it. And you can still find parts easily.
franknsled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, I really haven't had any trouble finding parts. My LHS was so adamant that I shouldn't get into this heli, but I think they would rather me buy a new one from them.

I think I'm going to fix it and see what I can do. It's a good learning opportunity at least!
Old 02-13-2015, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Setting up a flybar helicopter really takes some knowledge. Do some research, start by buying the ebook from rchelicopterfun.com http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-helicopter-tips.html It is very helpful and will get you on your way.
puppydog_taz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I say, "fix it up". You can keep it flybarred, or convert it to a 450X any time you'd like. Be warned though, that there's probably more damage than is immediately apparent. Things like bent shafts and notchy bearings can be hard to spot. If you enjoy problem solving, then this bird could be right for you. If you're more of an instant gratification guy, then I would sell the parts you have. I would not try to fix it up and sell it, as you will most likely not get your money's worth.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2015, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
I say, "fix it up". You can keep it flybarred, or convert it to a 450X any time you'd like. Be warned though, that there's probably more damage than is immediately apparent. Things like bent shafts and notchy bearings can be hard to spot. If you enjoy problem solving, then this bird could be right for you. If you're more of an instant gratification guy, then I would sell the parts you have. I would not try to fix it up and sell it, as you will most likely not get your money's worth.
You know what, I do enjoy problem solving and seeing how things work. I've watched 3 hours worth of videos on how do dis-assemble and repair the 450 3D. I did get almost everything off the frame before I had to go to work today. I have seen everything except for the bearings. Those are the only things I haven't seen yet. I can tell you everything else is good on this thing. Main shaft is straight as an arrow. I've labelled everything I took off and took pics.

I think I'm really going to enjoy building this thing up. I want to learn how to do all of this, and why not learn on something I essentially got for free. I honestly can't wait to get home and finish taking the frame apart and seeing how the bearings look.

The only thing I haven't checked is if the feathering shaft is bent. That really is it. I'm really impressed. I expected to see a lot of untold damage.

I already checked into making it fbl, but that would cost almost $500. I will buy another new heli for that kind of money (I don't have that kind of money lol). I figure if I learn how to put this together and set it up, it would help in the long run in regards to flying helis.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shouldn't cost any where near $500 to go flybarless. Just a FBL head and a controller. Make sure the shafts are all straight(main,spindle,tail). Check all servos for smooth operation. Get main and tail drive gear as parallel as possible.to limit vibration. Put it together and learn to fly it. (lots of information to absorb!). Get some spare shafts,main and tail blades,blade grips(main&tail),blades(main&tail). Start the adventure! You will get frustrated and discouraged but there are enough people on here to get you through it. Welcome to the addiction!
franknsled is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknsled View Post
Shouldn't cost any where near $500 to go flybarless. Just a FBL head and a controller. Make sure the shafts are all straight(main,spindle,tail). Check all servos for smooth operation. Get main and tail drive gear as parallel as possible.to limit vibration. Put it together and learn to fly it. (lots of information to absorb!). Get some spare shafts,main and tail blades,blade grips(main&tail),blades(main&tail). Start the adventure! You will get frustrated and discouraged but there are enough people on here to get you through it. Welcome to the addiction!
Frank, people like you are why I get excited to dive into something like this. I feel like I have support if things go awry.

Thank you! And it was about $400 to go fbl. $100 for the head. $250 for the receiver. $40 for the motor. Then add in the shipping because I'm Canadian and it's closer to $500. F me right? lol
Old 02-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should be able to convert it to flybarless for under $200 if you buy a used AR7200BX flybarless controller/receiver. They are all over the for sale section on helifreak and ebay. You need a new head, main shaft, follower arms and blade grip pitch links. You can use the same blade grips you currently have, you just need to buy the flybarless ball link to attach to it. There is no need to replace the motor at this time. My personal opinion it to upgrade it to flybarless if you are going to fix it.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or better yet, just buy a brand new 450x airframe. Transfer motor, esc and servos to it. Use your 450 3D for parts, many of the parts are interchangeable with the 450x.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EFLITE-BLADE...item4861afed3d
Old 02-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog_taz View Post
You should be able to convert it to flybarless for under $200 if you buy a used AR7200BX flybarless controller/receiver. They are all over the for sale section on helifreak and ebay. You need a new head, main shaft, follower arms and blade grip pitch links. You can use the same blade grips you currently have, you just need to buy the flybarless ball link to attach to it. There is no need to replace the motor at this time. My personal opinion it to upgrade it to flybarless if you are going to fix it.
So then I would be looking at about being into this for anywhere from $300 to $500.

You have to consider the Can dollar being horrible right now. We pay more and shipping to here is incredible. If I can do it for that cheap I will. I couldn't find any used receivers that would ship to Canada on eBay.

Right now I'm $100 in it. I think I would rather sell it and use the extra cash to but a new 450 or something. Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My honest opinion? Yes, get rid of it and don't spend another dime on it. Buy a new 450x or something similar.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Or better yet, just buy a brand new 450x airframe. Transfer motor, esc and servos to it. Use your 450 3D for parts, many of the parts are interchangeable with the 450x.

Eflite Blade 450X 450 x RC Flybarless Electric Helicopter Heli Airframe | eBay
I hear you, but the receiver is the expensive part, which is still another $250.

Quote:
My honest opinion? Yes, get rid of it and don't spend another dime on it. Buy a new 450x or something similar.
Sell the parts I have separately or rebuild it and sell it?
Old 02-14-2015, 04:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought one of these just after they were officially discontinued. My first "flight" ended in a crash (into my wife's tomato plants no less). The tomato plants looked worse than the heli other than the coating stripping off the wooden blades. Main gear was stripped, some servo gears, and a missing linkage. Replaced the feathering shaft just because... Long story short, after flying pretty much nothing but micros (the largest I had flown before this was the Blade SR huey) It flew really well and far more stable than my mcpx's and walkera birds. I have learned a great deal about building and flying larger CP helis using the 450 3d. I'm considering a move to flybarless next but I will definitely keep my 450 3d until I can no longer get parts for it. I suggest you try fixing it up and using it for a trainer. It really is a nice stable heli.

Just my 2 cents...

Jim

Last edited by jcmors; 02-14-2015 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
jcmors is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmors View Post
I bought one of these just after they were officially discontinued. My first "flight" ended in a crash (into my wife's tomato plants no less). The tomato plants looked worse than the heli other than the coating stripping off the wooden blades. Main gear was stripped, some servo gears, and a missing linkage. Replaced the feathering shaft just because... Long story short, after flying pretty much nothing but micros (the largest I had flown before this was the Blade SR huey) It flew really well and far more stable than my mcpx's and walkera birds. I have learned a great deal about building and flying larger CP helis using the 450 3d. I'm considering a move to flybarless next but I will definitely keep my 450 3d until I can no longer get parts for it. I suggest you try fixing it up and using it for a trainer. It really is a nice stable heli.

Just my 2 cents...

Jim
Thank you so much! The allure of getting to fly a heli this big, and the fact that I put it together and tuned it, is pretty exciting. I really don't know which way to go. I think I will definitely fix it up. Whether I sell it or keep it I just don't know.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Dogg80 View Post
I hear you, but the receiver is the expensive part, which is still another $250.

Sell the parts I have separately or rebuild it and sell it?
Rebuilding it will definitely teach you a lot about building and setting up a collective pitch helicopter. You won't get anything for it if you rebuild it and sell it. Odds are you will crash something else rather quickly and have to rebuild it anyway. A flybarless helicopter is far easier to get setup, you don't have to mess with the swash mixing and endpoints to get the swashplate to stay level throughout its range of movement. You have entered the LARGE learning curve portion of this wonderful hobby.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Rebuilding it will definitely teach you a lot about building and setting up a collective pitch helicopter. You won't get anything for it if you rebuild it and sell it. Odds are you will crash something else rather quickly and have to rebuild it anyway. A flybarless helicopter is far easier to get setup, you don't have to mess with the swash mixing and endpoints to get the swashplate to stay level throughout its range of movement. You have entered the LARGE learning curve portion of this wonderful hobby.
I could always rebuild it and let whoever buys it tune it up. Saves me crashing the thing. I'll just make sure it spools up and nothing shakes. Thoughts?
Old 02-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I could always rebuild it and let whoever buys it tune it up. Saves me crashing the thing. I'll just make sure it spools up and nothing shakes. Thoughts?
Just rebuild it and keep it. If you wanna get rid of it, sell it as is right now and let someone else rebuild it. I wouldn't want to buy someone else's science project. What if the person who buys it thinks it is setup correctly and ready to go then gets hurt? Either way, you won't get anything for it. The percentage of people buying flybar helicopters is getting smaller every day.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just rebuild it and keep it. If you wanna get rid of it, sell it as is right now and let someone else rebuild it. I wouldn't want to buy someone else's science project. What if the person who buys it thinks it is setup correctly and ready to go then gets hurt? Either way, you won't get anything for it. The percentage of people buying flybar helicopters is getting smaller every day.
Touché!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So then I would be looking at about being into this for anywhere from $300 to $500.

Right now I'm $100 in it. I think I would rather sell it and use the extra cash to but a new 450 or something. Thoughts?

+1
ss1-2013 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in