Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Align G800 Gimbal - what the T-rex 800 was intended for

The new Align aerial photography system has came out. Named G800, consists of a 3-axis gimbal system, with electronic stabilizer control. This system is designed as a drop in fit for Align's T-Rex 800 Trekker helicopters.

From the description posted on website, the G800 stabilizer requires Align's 3GX flybarless gyro system, as well as Align's APS auto pilot system. These components allows the gimbal to have a host of operation modes, including (translated):
- manual control
- 3 axis stabilized heading hold
- 2 axis stabilized heading hold
- tilt attitude lock
- horizontal level attitude lock
- neutral hold
- rescue mode (saves camera equipment in crash)

http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=4715

Looks pretty slick!

Some photos courtesy of AKFly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G800.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	375383   Click image for larger version

Name:	G800-1.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	375384   Click image for larger version

Name:	G800-2.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	375385   Click image for larger version

Name:	53894_421837634537213_1208399981_o.jpg
Views:	2785
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	375386   Click image for larger version

Name:	304402_402141676506809_1227198350_n.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	375387  

Click image for larger version

Name:	387743_422901331097510_1213383379_n.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	375388   Click image for larger version

Name:	470656_372372519483725_1229196559_o.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	375389   Click image for larger version

Name:	425890_418710484849928_1120028826_n.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	375390  
steph280 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

1800.00!! I can strap my Sony cam on the skids for a lot less.......
hidaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spokesperson

Jeff makes it look pretty good here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHuJah0uSw[/ame]

Chas
Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Traxxas QR-1 RealFlight Drone 6.5
ChasCS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks nice... I have a bit of an interest in trying one out... Just need to decide if that interest is worth $4k for a trekker, gimbal and aps...
Thunder Power 65C LiPo & JR 12X
350Z_Al is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get a really nice gps and camera mount setup on a hexa copter all in for the price if this thing.......nice idea but way too expensive.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

trekker is a camera ship but you can sport fly it with 780 mains and mid 3d
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dino, in all honesty pal, when you market a heli as a DFC "3d" machine, one is VERY likely to interpret that as a heli that CAN do 3d. There are reports of stock parts not being up to the task if you do anything more than hover. Align should have built and designed this bird much better for the marketed "3d" potential buyers. If it were just a camera ship as you state, then that's how they should have marketed it plain and simple.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

[ame]http://youtu.be/bi7Owfw0DxQ[/ame]

now kenny is a world class pilot as we all know, and if you plan on flying your 800 like this every flight then you better stock on batteries ESC motors as well as a few main gears this type of all out flying on any 800 size heli is going to wear things out asap keeping thing real and down to earth about any 800 not just ours. And again when you buy any heli the PM service is part of your ownership
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dino, you need to read through the threads. A slipping OWB block is NOT part of routine PM. KDE had to come to aligns rescue again and design a much better solution to a bad stock part that has been slipping since day one. Second, the cheap white gears are wearing much more quickly on the 800 forcing us all to get the better black ones. Align was having issues with these on the DFC 700, what made them think the same white gears would hold up better under MORE torque? Now lets talk about the DFC dampners that are compressing way too fast and much due to the increased torque on a head that was designed for a 700. Also the feathering sleeve is now a quickly wearable item. A lot of us are also having issues with a slow tail wag where binding is not the cause. Lastly the idiotic under sized skids are a joke. Many of us moved into the Quick UK large gear to get proper stability. Keep in mind that I have less than 50 flights on mine and am NOT a 3d pilot.

Like I sated before, if this was a true camera heli then market it as such and loose the 3d and DFC marketing nonsense. I'm now into this thing hundreds more to add the needed upgrades and personally emailed Patrick at KDE to request a better more robust head as he had a great remedy for the garbage stock OWB block. Wait, I have an idea, how about if you hire Patrick to look over your final designs and have him add his 2 cents? That guy knows what it takes and he wouldn't be in such demand if Align concentrated on quality vs releasing a heli every few months.

Lastly, offer the front and rear TT black gears to us trekker buyers for FREE like you did the DFC 700 buyers. Not one logical reason why you shouldn't.......
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

we can sling mud all day you and i, what i like to know is how is that 2 auto unit doing for you that tim and jeff hooked you up with after you stripped the thread out of trying to put the main gears onto, .

please show me where the trekker was show cased as a all out 3d 800 heli

why should the front and rear gears be free theres no problem on the trekker and in the case of the 700 its an upgrade and you have already gone free parts
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dino, BOTH replacement OWB holders were garbage. The aluminum is way too soft. I replaced it with a quality stainless steel KDE version that not only had better hardened threads but also a design that eliminated that POS stock design that still has the spacer that slips! We are NOT talking "bling" upgrades here Dino. These are parts that never should have made their way into a bird of this size and cost. Forget my rant, read the threads! There are others that have had the same experiences. There's a professional builder on here who's on his fourth set of dampners!

The white main disintegrates at the pinion and needs to be updated to the better quality black gears as should the TT front and back. Why in Gods name these gears not standard at this point is pathetic. Better more reliable gears should NOT be an upgrade Dino!

Lastly, let me reverse it, where in the world did it state on my box that this was a specific camera ONLY Platform??? My 1700.00 kit said DFC/ 3D period. Meaning to anyone with an IQ over 80 that the heli was equipped to fly 3D in addition to hauling a camera around. Not "change your blades to fly mild 3d" Dino.

But the kicker is that I'm having these problems and I'm not even flying 3d! Just sport flying. I knew this was a stretched 700 before I bought it. I just thought that Align would have beefed up crucial areas to make this a reliable and safe bird. For 1700.00 PLUS a soon to be 300.00 in needed mods I expect better.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hidaven you can keep ranting all you like if you are in the need of true help let me know ranting about want needs to be free and what you personally want by ranting will not get you the help you're looking for.

I hope that one day we can meet with each other at an event and let me look your heli over and see all these problems, as for you stripping out the threads when trying to replace the main gear on the one way i would recommend heat to brake free the loc tite Align uses so the threads dont strip out as i am not seeing this problems on the guys with 700 that changed out there main gears, again if you are not that happen with the 800 then by all means sell it and move onto another heli the choice is yours.

Dino
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dino, I appreciate the concern on your part. Let me state that I also am a VERY happy owner of a trex 550. Let me also state that after the 800 gets the needed mods I will once again be a very happy camper as the bird can and does perform on 12s whereas the other members of the 800 club are all on 14s.

I don't even mind Dino that there's a learning curve for Align to improve their product line coming out with improved versions of existing helicopters.....What I DO mind Dino is having to pay for parts that are offered as "upgrades" when clearly they should be offered for free as solutions to inferior parts. Are you not offering the black TT gears front and back to the DFC 700 owners? My white gears are all developing slop, Tim was kind enough to replace the main gear as it was waffled and is a much harder stronger material. A bunch of us are now having issues with the front and rear TT/ umbrella gears as the torque is finding the weakest link. How about offering these "improved" gears free of charge to the 800 owners as well? This kit was 1800.00 and its only right that a part that has been designated as inferior should be replaced. Kinda like a car recall right Dino?

Now one last point, the blades are big on this bird and the stiff DFC head is very very hard on the dampeners, spindle shaft sleeve etc. only way this is corrected is a redesigned head that KDE is working on. Maybe align can work on that part too. Most solutions are to raise that head back up a little and use more conventional dampeners. A bigger head and bigger dampeners would likely improve the situation. Until then we are faced with replacing these items after 25 flights or so. I can live with the motor although as you recently posted, one needs to crank the timing and PWM up to get decent power.

So to sum it up Dino, offer the current loyal trex 800 owners the improved gears for free please. These black gears should be coming standard in the kits Dino. There's another improved auto rotation gear due out soon that should also be included. The white 700 gears are NOT up to the task on the 800 and God forbid if this flying lawn mower gets out of control. Most of us have slop and we are not hardcore 3d flyers at all. 1800.00 is a nice chunk of change for a heli, we just want to feel that a company stands behind our expensive purchases and corrects design weaknesses without looking to turn a profit on our misfortune.

Sound fair?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

BTW. it's dampers, not dampeners :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

khoysagk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Ipad corrects DAMPERS to DAMPENERS on its own, try to see the forest through the trees Einstein.........

Last edited by hidaven; 01-06-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
My Ipad corrects DAMPNERS to DAMPENERS on its own, try to see the forest through the trees Einstein.........
First of all, it's dampers not dampners.
Second... "see the forest through the trees"??? No wonder so many people in this country can't spell worth shit. It's pretty sad if a foreigner's English is better than the English of a person being born here.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoysagk View Post
BTW. it's dampers, not dampeners :rolleyes:

Really? That's your constructive input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
My Ipad corrects DAMPERS to DAMPENERS on its own, try to see the forest through the trees Einstein.........
Sarcastic comments don't help either...

Quote:
First of all, it's dampers not dampners.
Second... "see the forest through the trees"??? No wonder so many people in this country can't spell worth shit. It's pretty sad if a foreigner's English is better than the English of a person being born here.

...and a follow up to the aforementioned sarcastic comment, escalated to insulting.

Clearly you're referring to yourself if you think anything is misspelled in "see the forest through the trees".

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
Really? That's your constructive input?

Sarcastic comments don't help either...

...and a follow up to the aforementioned sarcastic comment, escalated to insulting.

Clearly you're referring to yourself if you think anything is misspelled in "see the forest through the trees".
I know there is nothing misspelled in that part. My point was that he meant I shouldn't pay attention to the spelling but to the context.
And how am I insulting someone for telling the truth? That's the problem we're having these days. Nobody wants to take responsibility anymore and if you say something you're being insulting. It's this whole entitlement BS.
Trust me, I'm far from perfect but I don't see how people graduate High School when they don't even know the difference between there, their and they're. Or to, too and two. Worst example: "I should OF done this and that" instead of "I should HAVE done this and that" . But I'm sure somebody will blame the school system for that. :rolleyes:

Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I know there is nothing misspelled in that part. My point was that he meant I shouldn't pay attention to the spelling but to the context.
And how am I insulting someone for telling the truth? That's the problem we're having these days. Nobody wants to take responsibility anymore and if you say something you're being insulting. It's this whole entitlement BS.
Trust me, I'm far from perfect but I don't see how people graduate High School when they don't even know the difference between there, their and they're. Or to, too and two. Worst example: "I should OF done this and that" instead of "I should HAVE done this and that" . But I'm sure somebody will blame the school system for that. :rolleyes:

This is primarily an RC heli board, not a school on grammar, spelling or higher education.
Nor is it a place to pass judgement on someone's education level or level of achievement.

If you have a problem with those topics, take it up on another board dedicated to the education system of the USA.

The focus here is on the RC topic at hand and not every misspelled word or gramme error.

Furthermore, it is unreasonable to expect everyone to have achieved the same level of education as there are likely aspects of their lives we are not aware of.

The world is not a level playing field, never was, never will be.

Get off this soap box as it has no place here.

Mike

And yes, I shortened helicopter to heli.
TowPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks to everyone who was just as insulted as me that us poor Americans don't measure up to this foreigners english expectations........ Funny that someone leaves his or her own country to come to the promised land than bites the hand that feeds him or her.

To think that some poor American lost his job to this down........I meant clown : (

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in