Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wjvail
  • 1 Post By ticedoff8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2022, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Running 2 stroke without muffler

Wanted to run a 30cc 2-stroke to max rpm without stock muffler attached. Is it safe?
blackknight2345 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight2345 View Post
Wanted to run a 30cc 2-stroke to max rpm without stock muffler attached. Is it safe?
This is a weird question.
What are you specifically worried about?

I'm guessing this is a gasser (gasoline) 2-stroker and I would suggest that with or without a muffler (stock or otherwise), running a motor at max RPM isn't a good idea.

But the word "safe" leads to a bunch of other questions

Last edited by ticedoff8; 01-01-2023 at 08:33 PM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2023, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am specifically worried about dirt ingestion taking place at the exhaust port and consequently damaging the components. The RPM I aim to run the motor at isn't the max RPM, my bad, I wanted to run it at around 10500 RPM to 11000 RPM.
Old 01-03-2023, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am specifically worried about dirt ingestion taking place at the exhaust port and consequently damaging the components. The RPM I aim to run the motor at isn't the max RPM, my bad, I wanted to run it at around 10500 RPM to 11000 RPM.
Dirt ingestion would be through the carb, not the exhaust.
Assuming the engine is running, there is no chance dirt could enter through the exhaust header.

And, once it is more than a meter above the ground, dirt is no longer a concern
Old 01-03-2023, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am using a Zenoah g320 and with its stock muffler, it doesn't have a header, the exhaust port is exposed from the cylinder body directly to the atmosphere. Can the dust enter through such short lengths of the exhaust outlet?
Old 01-03-2023, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it is 2 stroke, no valves it may not even run without an exhaust fitted. They generally rely on the exhaust to stop the incoming fuel from just leaving the exhaust port.

Even 4 strokes rely on the exhaust. An old motorcycle I had I couldn't get started without one fitted.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Short answer: You can safely run your engine without a muffler.

Longer answer: You can safely run your engine without a muffler but, you will not be popular with the neighbors.
blackknight2345 likes this.

Last edited by wjvail; 01-03-2023 at 11:26 AM..
wjvail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2023, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am using a Zenoah g320 and with its stock muffler, it doesn't have a header, the exhaust port is exposed from the cylinder body directly to the atmosphere. Can the dust enter through such short lengths of the exhaust outlet?
Assuming the engine runs without a muffler (I agree with the comments questioning this), once the engine is fired up there is nothing that will enter the engine through the exhaust port.
The velocity and volume of the exhaust gasses would be too great to allow contaminates (like dirt or small bugs) into the cylinder.

However, other "bad things" may happen unrelated to dirt.
If the manufacturer of the motor recommends a muffler, your best bet (overall) is to use it. If there are problems with the motor starting, idling, attaining full power, it may be related to the lack of a muffler
blackknight2345 likes this.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Chainsaw guys routinely run their saws with virtually no muffler. They think they need it for faster cutting.

Also, any time you make substantive changes to a motor, it is possible (likely) you will have to retune it for best performance.

Really though, running it without a muffler is a bad idea. The ridiculous ear-shattering sound makes any possible benefit meaningless.

WCS Bark Box vs Egan Straight Shot - WHO WILL WIN?! (12 min 26 sec)
Old 02-09-2023, 04:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It will run fine but for what reason is beyond me. Each to there own and good luck with your neighbours or people around.

Also be careful with what state you are in due to 2 stroke engine laws. These day you need to be running a muffler with a 'spark arrestor screen'. Basically a tiny mesh screen on your muffler that stops combustion sparks shooting straight out of the muffler and into the ground starting a fire. Usually a huge no no for chainsaw operators, leaf blowers and weed eaters due to fire risk
hirobonathan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in