Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Static electricity PSA

I've been flying Logos for what must be 5-6 years now and I've never done the full static mod but I've never had any issues with static either.

This winter, I switched from Spektrum (JR x9503/DSM2) to Jeti. I also decided to build a larger version of my Logo500 UltraLight. Over the past few weeks, I've been troubleshooting my 'new' 600 that was flying erratically and had logs full of 'Sensor Data Checksum Error', 'Satellite Data Out of Sync', 'Governor Input Contains Glitches'.. etc. And there were tons of them, every few seconds. Now, the vbar I was using had been in a heli fire so I was suspect of the vbar. I contacted MikadoUSA and continued to troubleshoot. So, I swapped the sensor unit... no change. Swapped the main unit... no change. So, now I'm suspecting the ESC. Ron (MikadoUSA) strongly suggested installing the static wires. I didn't want to since I'd never had any static issues in the past but I finally decided to do it and test some more.

Previously, I had tried to duplicate the errors without actually flying by running the motor backwards but this caused no errors. Then, it occured to me that if the errors were caused by static that the belt would have to be running. So, I removed the main and tail blades and spun it up with the motor running forwards. There were tons of errors in the logs so I finally had a way to test it without flying. I installed the static wires and retested a few times. No errors.

Just last night I finally figured out what was different to cause the static issues. Turns out running the Jeti antenna wires right over the tailboom was allowing static to enter the electronics and drive the Vbar completely batty. On Spektrum, I never had any wires anywhere near the tailboom, so I think the isolation prevented any issues.

TLDR: Just install the static wires.

If you like clean wiring and don't like the Mikado wires...
Replace one of your motor plate bolts with a longer one and a M2.5 10mm long unthreaded spacer to attach the ring terminal on.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#94669a618/=xdl7cz

Ring terminals
M2.5 http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...key651-3240069
M3.0 http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...key651-3240070

I also made some 'grounding plates' for my Logos out of some thin stainless steel to connect the idler pulley and several of the other bolts on the tail unit.

In the pictures are the Mikado static wires simply because the ring terminals are backordered at Mouser. But in a few weeks, they'll be here and I'll make up my own custom length wires to be neat and tidy.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Amazing what a little static will do, isn't it?

I had a different but equally frustrating problem with an old Blade 500X (I know, don't say it...).

The heli would start spooling up, then pause, then start spooling up again... Replaced the ESC, tried another FBL, and did everything short of replacing the motor itself before narrowing it down to static. I had a satellite mounted on the boom and apparently the ungrounded tail generated enough static to trip everything out and manifest in a really strange way.

I've also become a fan of continuity and used the grounding kit on my 480 when I built it.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lube your tailbelt and staticks will be gone.
A moist belt cant crate any statichs.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Andersen View Post
Lube your tailbelt and staticks will be gone.
A moist belt cant crate any statichs.

What do you lube the tail with? and how often?

Please provide product links
cbrkhan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I've used silicone spray oil to extend the life of my belts. But, at the end of the day, having your tail well grounded is cheap insurance against your fbl unit going berserk and your heli trying to kill you.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

They want to destroy themselves and us regardless, why give them another opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
I've used silicone spray oil to extend the life of my belts. But, at the end of the day, having your tail well grounded is cheap insurance against your fbl unit going berserk and your heli trying to kill you.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 500 , bought it used , has a wire from the motor to the boom , but nothing on the back , 500 has plastic tail housing , any idea how and or where to ground this tail ?
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can you post a photo? I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen the plastic tail in person. Either way, I would try to connect the boom to the idler somehow.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I purchased my 600 used and had the ground wire. I cut it off (esc to tail boom) but left the tail wire on. I had static hits, put it back on and gone. My 480 has no static kit and never had an issue. Seems strange why one model is ok without it. Any guesses why?

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Doesn't the 480 have metal tail boom clamps in the frames? Also the frames are carbon...
Old 05-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrkhan View Post
What do you lube the tail with? and how often?

Please provide product links
I have used different silicone sprays but the best so far is these.
www.terjan.no and look for "silikon super glider"
Its used for plumbing and is a bit thicker then regular silicone spray and have a bit more staying power then regular one.
Sorry but im a Norvegian and use what i find locally.
I dont lube often, just one time a year.
But i think how i lube it is as well important as i spray into the tailboom from the tailboks when everything is assembled making boght belt and boom wet inside.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
Doesn't the 480 have metal tail boom clamps in the frames? Also the frames are carbon...
Still not sufficient. I have not seen a Heli where it was yet...install the kit BTW, nice mod!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in