Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 500

Atom 500 Compass Atom 500 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What did you do with your atom today?

i've noticed there is a thread like this in the 6hv section so thought id start one here for us atom flyers. ill start it off

well it wasn't technically today but on Sunday we had a club fun fly at the Toledo Weak Signals club and me and my atom 500 took first place over the competition!!

I don't believe in addiction... but i'm addicted to RC!!!
Big_Maxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Sunday we had a club fun fly at the Toledo Weak Signals club and me and my atom 500 took first place over the competition!!"

Outstanding!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This weekend I just sat staring at my Atom without a tail.....

That was until Jeff's wife hand delivered my replacement parts to my door (amazing service).

Then I rebuilt my tail.

Now I sit staring at my Atom until I can get some new main blades.

My second Atom is apparently in the mail on it's way to me as we speak with another SK540 as we speak.... Now I will have 2 to stare at until the weather improves and we can get some landing pads at our club site....
Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

On Sunday my atom left a crater in the ground. So I went home fixed what I can then thought about building my other atom. Then thought about sellingy new atom so I can get a 6hv.
panamacitymustang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamacitymustang View Post
On Sunday my atom left a crater in the ground. So I went home fixed what I can then thought about building my other atom. Then thought about sellingy new atom so I can get a 6hv.
sorry to hear that panama

i have to replace my tail blades tonight as i had a rough bobble during the slolam course at the fun fly and shortened my tail blades by a couple mm

Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Several flights this weekend with my 500 and 5.5.

I had to rotate the 5.5's boom to make two new holes where the tail case is attached. One of the existing holes got reamed (hard landing? vibes?) and the tail case developed some play, that caused a nasty noise due to resonance. Problem solved.

Cheers!

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had my first crash with the atom. Wow! It went down hard. Pilot error not mechanical failure, I was pushing my limits (with a mate watching). Had to happen eventually, I'm surprised it took this long. I took a picture of the aftermath with my phone, I'll try attach it to this post.

Quick superficial assessment of damage, looks like at least- boom, blades, main gear, main shaft, belt, tail pushrods, tail linkages, canopy, battery straps.

For a HUGE crash it actually came out quite well. Bonus is I have most parts required already. (Came with a great crash kit when I bought it second hand) I'm considering trying it out as a 500 instead of 5.5 this time. I have never flown it as a 500 size and I have a tail unit ready to go for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	422132  
Nick newby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick newby View Post
Had my first crash with the atom. Wow! It went down hard. Pilot error not mechanical failure, I was pushing my limits (with a mate watching). Had to happen eventually, I'm surprised it took this long. I took a picture of the aftermath with my phone, I'll try attach it to this post.

Quick superficial assessment of damage, looks like at least- boom, blades, main gear, main shaft, belt, tail pushrods, tail linkages, canopy, battery straps.

For a HUGE crash it actually came out quite well. Bonus is I have most parts required already. (Came with a great crash kit when I bought it second hand) I'm considering trying it out as a 500 instead of 5.5 this time. I have never flown it as a 500 size and I have a tail unit ready to go for that.
ouch sorry to hear about the crash but rebuilding is not that bad as i just found out a few weeks ago because that was my first big heli crash with my atom but its up and flying again. i to crashed due to pilot error while showing off for some friends seems like everytime there around i crash lol

Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew inverted circles and eights without my heart beating super fast. It was great to finally make some progress again. I flew for about three whole minutes upside down. A while back it really finally clicked on the sim. I had kept practicing circles and 8s while constantly changing from inverted backwards to upright forwards then inverted forwards and just kept mixing up transitioning from all the orientations. After a weak of 15 min sessions 5 times a day I started making less and less mistakes. I could fly all directions before but I couldn't transition every time without making dumb thumbs here and there but now I finally am getting confident to do it in real life.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tried to diagnose a head wobble on hard collective stops and elevator tic tocs. Have added another preload washer to the head (running kbdd limes) which seems to have got rid of the play it had. Now I just need to test it.

7HV ULT TracX | 550U TracX | DX9
NZ Heli thread - https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=480630
Magnazan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnazan View Post
Tried to diagnose a head wobble on hard collective stops and elevator tic tocs. Have added another preload washer to the head (running kbdd limes) which seems to have got rid of the play it had. Now I just need to test it.
same here put the kbdd dampers and now i need a nice day to get out and tweak the cyclic gain pot on the beastx so it stops wagging the tail up and down. was gonna do it yesterday before our club meeting but it felt like winter and a tornado was coming at the same time it was cold raining and REALLY! windy lol

Old 05-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I installed Yge90LV esc, was hesitant at first, and now after 2 flights, i am loving it even more.
Atom500(FBL)., Gaui x4II (FBL) ;Trex450 sport (FBL). All with Ikon fbl gyro. AMA#1019423.

Tony .
tony521 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Figured out the source of the wobble.

Turns out that the Atom 500 top main bearings don't last 4 years and many hundreds of 3d flight without maintenance. The give away was the fact I could actually SEE the ball bearings - they had worn that much.

Maintenance free my ass. (Oops forgot this was an US based forum. This comment was a JOKE )

7HV ULT TracX | 550U TracX | DX9
NZ Heli thread - https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=480630
Magnazan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did fly mine today, but did yesterday at the San Diego Fun Fly (along with the Warp, 6HV, 7HV, and Odin II).

It still flies well!

And Magnazan,

Lube those bearings once it a while...

Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew mine about 4 flights today. broke 3 sets of landing just on landings soft landings must not like 90 degree weather in the sand box.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Crashed Sat. morning..blades, landing struts, blade grip and drive tube x21... Today she flew better than ever. I love this bird...
dscobell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

... opened the box and stared at it in awe. I'm so in above my head on this project. One step at a time will get me there, hopefully. If all else fails, I'll adopt some religion and start to pray.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzo View Post
... opened the box and stared at it in awe. I'm so in above my head on this project. One step at a time will get me there, hopefully. If all else fails, I'll adopt some religion and start to pray.
Atom500(FBL)., Gaui x4II (FBL) ;Trex450 sport (FBL). All with Ikon fbl gyro. AMA#1019423.

Tony .
tony521 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Itzo,

There are a great many of us here to help, sir!

Enjoy the build and ask as many questions as you like!

This is still, IMHO, the best 500 on the market!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks man! Can't wait to get it in the air, but won't rush it. I still get these "woah" moments when I turn around and look at it. I'm like a kid who just got a cooler toy than he could ever hope for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in