Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I don't care who's videos he is talking about. That is just a lame comment.
Agreed And no need to apologize mate we all have bad days, but some times all people want is a bite, if you ignore them you spoil there fun.

Lee.
CougarRules is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Yep sorry.... was a rough day yesterday and when I saw that comment I went off a little.... I don't care who's videos he is talking about. That is just a lame comment.
You need aggression therapy, dude!

I also agree that it was a lame comment. Nobody doing these videos is under any obligation to do them, so we should all appreciate the effort that goes into them.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please Bob, take it cool, you are the man... I'm getting pretty good with helis stuff and I still learn a lot from your vids. Keep up with the good work.

I have a controversial question: TO GREASE OR NOT TO GREASE bearings (all of them)... I know it is not directly related to nitro setup but since I'm about to service my Vibe 50 NITRO heli and that oil gets everywere, I thought it would not bother anybody...

Some say the grease attract dirt, some say oil is too thin... I need to clean the bearings since they ingested dirt from the place I flew. Cleaning and re-lubing bearings is a first for me as I always, in the past, replaced them if they were that grimy... the Vibe bearings are "very new" and it would be shameful to replace them!

I need advice.
Thanks'

BTW, Pinecone, the vids are pretty nice. Please keep them comming...
Tibo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #44 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Are you talking thrust bearings? or your closed race bearings like main shaft bearings etc?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome vids Pinecone! I added them to the Engines Techno Central here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=111007
Old 02-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, I'm talking about the closed raced radial bearings: blade grip, main shaft bloc, clutch bell block, tail torque tube bloc bearings... The trust open raced bearing nead greasing but those radials are bugging me!!!
Once you clean them they feel bare (no resistance, metal on metal sound/feel). On my Venture 30 I only finger pressure greased them then flooded them with Triflo oil, I guess I will see the result after a few run if they heat up... but the Vibe... man, I will not risk it, it is my pride and joy...

The way I cleaned the bearings is by using a special plastic bearing cleaning bracket (don't remember the name) and spray it with electrical no flash contact cleaner. Once done, they are clean, believe me...

Thanks' for your reply...
Old 02-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #47 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

There is a device called the GREASER... If forces grease past the race shields and repacks the bearings.

Bob
Old 02-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I agree with Bob. Bearing get grease. Oil will provide less drag, but you will be replacing bearings more often.

I race cars, and some guys run oil in the bearings to reduce the drag. They also change bearings every weekend or two. Guys who use grease, change bearings every season or so.

Sounds like another vid, using The Greaser.

And yeah, sometimes Finless forgets his Prozac.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the videos s.Pinecone.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks’ to you all for your reply’s. I will strongly consider grease!!!!
I’ve read people saying that using the Greaser or similar tool could over pack the bearing. Is there a way of using those tools and not over packing them? I was tempted to remove the seal and re-lube it ball by ball à la old school style( years ago, when running cars and buggies, I used to remove the shield, clean and then put a drop of grease on each ball. They were rubber sealed and once opened, they never lasted long after that). The bearings used in our helis are metal ring and spring clip sealed, would it be practical to open them up and re-lube them or will they follow the doomed fate of their car and buggies counterpart and fail shortly after? Like I said, I never bothered with cleaning the bearings since I always (almost, see below...) fly in clean area and when the time came to “fix” them, I replaced them since the where old and notchy anyway, but the Vibe’s bearing are not damaged, just very dirty from flying from a not so clean flying site. There is fine dust every ware... I’m even considering opening up the engine and flush it...
Anyway, sorry for the long reply and thanks’ for your help.

BTW, I feel I'm getting a little off topic, is there a better forum to post this or is everybody ok with this here?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

... ok, a quick reply... removing the metal seal and spring clip of a small tail blade grip bearing is not a option... too many flying parts!!!! I'm never the one to request thing from other people, but a greasing 101 would be nice!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

How can you "overpack" a bearing. A properly packed bearing has all the space in the bearing filled with grease. So the only way to overpack is to compress the balls.

Any excess grease also gets flung out in the first minute of operation.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 02-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I remember correctly, the guy in the post said that the balls should be covered with grease and excess should be avoided. The bearing is over filled when the ball retainer is packed with the grease and noware to go, making the ball race difficult to run (I wish I could find that post and be a little clearer...).

What you are saying about grease beeing flushed out sound's correct, so the ball retainer packing problem should not affect our bearing (given the RMP and force they are up to...)

Thanks' Pinecone for your opinion, and I'm sure you have many years of practice to back it up. I will look into it.

Edit: When you grease the bearing, do you take off the seals?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #54 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibo View Post
Edit: When you grease the bearing, do you take off the seals?
No..."The Greaser" tool forces grease past the seals.

Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you ...
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have packed many a bearing over the years, starting with hand packing front wheel roller bearings. A bearing should be FULL of grease when you start. It will find its own level.

Yes, a fully packed bearing will have sme drag.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been reading the Greaser info on there website. It is all there, in black. Should have done it before bothering you guys.

Greaser FAQ sheet: http://peteshobbies.com/prcp/Greaser/grindex.htm

Thanks'
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Pinecone,

Thanks for the videos! Just got my first nitro heli and was looking for the primer. The videos are great.

Just one thing I concerned as all heck about a hot start. When you do the starting vids can you do the ABC's of preventing a hot start and what you should do in case you have one?

Thanks
C R Mudgeon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by C R Mudgeon View Post
When you do the starting vids can you do the ABC's of preventing a hot start and what you should do in case you have one?
I believe the normal procedure in the case of a hot start is to break a couple of fingers and then scream like a little girl ;-)
jays2001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

nice

aerosmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in