Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by soko View Post
im still not getting how you english guys differentiate between relative angle/level and absolute/spirit angle/level
What makes you think we differentiate?!?
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelletier View Post
What makes you think we differentiate?!?
I don't know what english word to use when I like to talk about an angle between two surfaces...
realtive angle, relative level, ???

And what word you use when talking about a surface that should be aligned in an angle relative to the earth level. In German we say the object is "in water" - but that doesn't apply to english. I'm currently using "absolute level" when talking about the level that is given by the instrument you call "spirit level" or "bubble level". the one carpenters use when they ar building a house.

Maybe someone can clarify to me the right terms to use

Soko
soko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know what english word to use when I like to talk about an angle between two surfaces...

if you are describing the angle difference between two surfaces, where one is ie, 5 deg different to the other, this is called the "included angle" this is the angle difference between the two, and not relative to anything outside of itself.

And what word you use when talking about a surface that should be aligned in an angle relative to the earth level. In German we say the object is "in water" - but that doesn't apply to english. I'm currently using "absolute level" when talking about the level that is given by the instrument you call "spirit level" or "bubble level". the one carpenters use when they ar building a house.

for this one we talk in terms of the horizon, and use "horizontal" as the adjective, vertical is 90 deg to this. "perpendicular" can be used to convey a heli mast that is 90 deg to the horizontal looking from the side, and also from the front.

Soko
=]

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

georgi

In our instructions we are talking about absoute/spirit level. Will the guys get the drift or should I change it to horizontal/vertical?

Soko
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
georgi

In our instructions we are talking about absoute/spirit level. Will the guys get the drift or should I change it to horizontal/vertical?

Soko
=] horizontal / vertical can only mean one thing as an absolute reference. these can then be expanded to "looking from" the side, the front, the back etc.

absolute spirit level conveys an instrument that, in itself can be inaccurate. so yes, the correct terms are vertical, horizontal.

we all understand this meaning!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
realtive angle, relative level, ???

Soko
LOL, I have to go through this all the time! I am Greek, born and raised in Germany! So I speak three languages... I am always looking for the right words! Never heard "in wasser" thought?!

G

p.s. I got totally confused with all that level talk. My new "level" bottom plate for my frame is gonna be here on Friday. As soon I installed it and mounted the SK, I will post a picture and you guys tell me if I am right on or not!
neavissa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Soko, I was just re reading this entire thread again. I admit,the concept prompted me to buy a one time deal on a DX8 last summer. It basically sat until today. Now I am finally setting it up per your instructions. Good stuff!

But just to be clear. What did you mean about reversing throttle and pitch curves?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Randy,

With reversing I mean reversing the order they are on the flight-mode-switch.
I use idle-up2 to start and take off. idle-up1 for normal flight and "normal" for SL (bail-out).

Otherwise you have to get your hand under the flight-mode-switch and switch to idle-up2 to activate SL in an emerceny. Way to slow and to dangerous to miss.

Do you know what I mean?

Soko
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi Randy,

With reversing I mean reversing the order they are on the flight-mode-switch.
I use idle-up2 to start and take off. idle-up1 for normal flight and "normal" for SL (bail-out).

Otherwise you have to get your hand under the flight-mode-switch and switch to idle-up2 to activate SL in an emerceny. Way to slow and to dangerous to miss.

Do you know what I mean?

Soko
Yes! Thanks.
I saw the explanation about that earlier but didn't separate the two. Awesome! I should have this little beast up and flying tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Yes! Thanks.
I saw the explanation about that earlier but didn't separate the two. Awesome! I should have this little beast up and flying tomorrow.
Hi Randy. I used Sokos flight mode method for bank switching listed here with my DX8, and it works quite nicely. The one thing I did notice, at least on my heli, is that trimming the SL mode doesn't always work well from one flight day to the other.

I could get it trimmed perfectly one day, but would need to start over again when flying at a later date. I'm assuming this could be from differences in temp, etc. Its really no big deal.....I would just spend about 30 sec trimming the heli for perfect SL on my first flight, and then I was usually good for the rest of my flights.

It would be interesting to hear your experiences with this from one day to the next.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi icnu.

The drift differences between days is exactly why I came up with this trim-idea!

on each fly day i reset the SL trims at the beginning to find "the values of the day".

other systems (msh brain, ikon) has such a trim in the software which is kinda useless due to the fact described above.

Soko
Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
hi icnu.

The drift differences between days is exactly why I came up with this trim-idea!

on each fly day i reset the SL trims at the beginning to find "the values of the day".

other systems (msh brain, ikon) has such a trim in the software which is kinda useless due to the fact described above.

Soko
Thanks Soko! I have since changed mine over to a momentary switch for SL, and a bit of pitch mixed in to make the heli climb. This climb kills any drift I would typically notice, so I don't even see it anymore
Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good to hear!

Maybe you can sum up how you add the pitch. I read about it a couple of weeks ago but forgot how it works. Something with the mixing in the Tx isn't it?

I reckon all the guys reading this will appreciate the input. For me I'm OK with controlling the pitch myself

Soko
Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Good to hear!

Maybe you can sum up how you add the pitch. I read about it a couple of weeks ago but forgot how it works. Something with the mixing in the Tx isn't it?

I reckon all the guys reading this will appreciate the input. For me I'm OK with controlling the pitch myself

Soko
Yes, it's a simple Aux2 to pitch mix. I did a thread about it here: Its a long read, but its hard to describe in one paragraph.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...489086xcsddfvf
Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How-To: Easy setup for perfect (bail-out) self-level

Since this thread is about the Soko tool, I wanted to drop in and thank Soko for making it. Great piece if gear! I'll recommend it to anybody I ever hear asking about the best tool for setting up a rotor system.

I just made a bunch of changes to my Goblin 630 so I figured it was also a good time to redo my rotor system with my new Soko tool kit.

Flew it today for the first time since finishing my maintenance. Wow man... Fantastic track on this bird! I thought it was dialed in good before, but its perfect now.

Thanks again!!!

- Josh
Old 06-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick78 View Post
Since this thread is about the Soko tool, I wanted to drop in and thank Soko for making it. Great piece if gear! I'll recommend it to anybody I ever hear asking about the best tool for setting up a rotor system.

I just made a bunch of changes to my Goblin 630 so I figured it was also a good time to redo my rotor system with my new Soko tool kit.

Flew it today for the first time since finishing my maintenance. Wow man... Fantastic track on this bird! I thought it was dialed in good before, but its perfect now.

Thanks again!!!

- Josh
Hey Josh,

This thread isn't acutally about the Soko Kit or Soko Heli Tools...
This thread is older than that

But your words are highly appreciated!

And yes, please do tell all the guys about the Soko Kit! Its just a small company and we can't afford big advertisements. So word of mouth is really great

Soko
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I found most useful of this thread is the answer to a question that arose when setting up my SK720. I'm expecting the GPS module, and was figuring out where to place the three position switch for the GPS module if SK720 was using the two of them available in my DX8 (I didn't think the Flight mode as a possible option and I wanted to use both cyclic and tail configuration banks).

Now, with this thread, that question was answered. Thank you all!

Oscar
chavanel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 03:58 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Swashplate stays correctly in Cyclic1, but when I switch to Cyclic2 it moves a little bit. Thwrefore, the Goblin moves backwards at self leveling (Cyclic2).

What can I do to keep the swashplate correctly in all modes?
B0tt0mline is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0tt0mline View Post
My Swashplate stays correctly in Cyclic1, but when I switch to Cyclic2 it moves a little bit. Thwrefore, the Goblin moves backwards at self leveling (Cyclic2).

What can I do to keep the swashplate correctly in all modes?
Its normal for the swash to move a little when SL is activated. This is to account for a helis natural translating tendency.

Have you done the 200% Hiller Decay mechanical trim adjustment procedure without SL activated yet? Also verify that your COG is spot on as well. Both of these must be done in order to mitigate any drift

Self Level does not mean the heli is going to sit perfectly in place without drifting. There are some things that can be done to minimize it the best we can, but you must also have the correct expectations. It still levels the heli in an emergency, and any small drift at this point is inconsequential as we are not just sitting around hovering in position with SL turned on when we are bailing the heli out, and must still be in control of the heli at all times

The heli will always be in some form of motion whenever you activate SL, so its always going to drift some random direction due to its inertia at the time you activated it. This is completely random and cannot be predicted or trimmed out. You will need the GPS module if you require the heli to be rescued and sit perfectly in place.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone have some videos on the self level? I'm curious how well it bails out. I'm looking but can't find a really good one.
srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in