Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor/ESC Issue

Little perplexed here. I'm having an issue with my 500esp. During my flights periodically for a brief instance, I'll here the motor loose rpm and then kick back to where it was. It will do this more and more and I cant figure out why or whats causing it. It's the only one of my brids that does this and didnt start until recently. Doesn't matter what battery I use, 5s or 6s, it'll keep doing it. It's kinda difficult to fly and doing any tricks or hard flying being worries about the motor dropping. It's setup in GOV mode idle 1 is 90% and 2 is 100%. Any idea of what it can be? I don't know if it could be the solder joints as its never done this until recently. The batteries I use I have been using with the bird and my other birds and the issue doesn't transfer from one bird to the next. Any info is helpful info at this point
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it slows and then returns to normal without any middle ground, I'd start simple and look at EVERY electrical connection. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm guessing you havent done anything with the Gov gain.. ??? Almost sounds like when my Gov gain was too low on my 700....
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayd View Post
I'm guessing you havent done anything with the Gov gain.. ??? Almost sounds like when my Gov gain was too low on my 700....
With the Align Esc, I dont think it has a GOV Gain, or at least there isnt one in the instruction manual.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What kind of connectors are you using between the batts and the ESC? Asking because I've had some start getting really hot after a flight...I reflowed the solder and they were fine agin after. Dont suppose you noticed any unusal heating up anywhere? I'm a compulsive freak.. I use a temp gun after each flight to keep an eye on my esc, batts, and motors.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use EC5 on all my birds. The wires on the esc are still good and tight. The esc/motor/batt all come down rather cool. Nothing is over heating or anything.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Might be time to look at the ESC there dante. Got a spare to swap out?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not as of this moment, but that's what I'm leaning towards having to buy., Don't want to, but I'd rather spend it to save the bird, rather than having to spend it to repair it.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any governor running at 100 or even 90% has no headroom to keep rpm stable. Better to run the Align ESC without the governor and straight or V-curves in your TX.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Any governor running at 100 or even 90% has no headroom to keep rpm stable. Better to run the Align ESC without the governor and straight or V-curves in your TX.
+1.. I've heard this numerous times about the Align ESC....
Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been running Align GM for years and haven't had one catch fire yet
85% max is all you can run and you must flip to your IU flat TC before it's finished spooling up. Using good batteries it the trick.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, now another problem has creeped up. When I'm going through my preflight or even when its on the ground before spool up, she'll have a glitch and even with TH engaged, will twitch and the motor will spin for a split second and the stop. So it'll drop the speed for a quick second while in the air and with 0 throttle input will glitch and give it unexpected throttle. So, I'm assuming the esc is going bad or something is wrong with the connection to and or from it. At this point, it seems best just to buy a new esc.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Since you said your not getting this from any other heli on the same Tx, I'd suspect your right, and that the ESC may have an issue. Sorry man.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
Okay, now another problem has creeped up. When I'm going through my preflight or even when its on the ground before spool up, she'll have a glitch and even with TH engaged, will twitch and the motor will spin for a split second and the stop. So it'll drop the speed for a quick second while in the air and with 0 throttle input will glitch and give it unexpected throttle. So, I'm assuming the esc is going bad or something is wrong with the connection to and or from it. At this point, it seems best just to buy a new esc.
For one reason or another, you are losing radio contact, and your failsafe throttle value isn't "0" apparently.

That could be the BEC can't handle the current, or could be a faulty receiver setup.

I wouldn't be too hasty in blaming the ESC, although it could be the culprit.
ahahn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantemcc View Post
Pull the motor away from the main, swap a servo with the esc channel and see if the glitch appears on that servo or follows the motor for starters.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a glitch like that. Turns out it was my TH switch on my tx going bad. Depending in what your thro/pitch curves are in TH it will vary on what it does. Pretty scary crap..

sent from my phone using circus midgets
Old 12-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

This might be a little late, but since no solutions has been posted: I have had exact the same problem, but I am NOT running gov mode though.

I have checked all connections the best I could, checking for excessive heat, grounded the boom etc., no solution yet.

But the latest thing I am trying is a new Spektrum receiver w sat, was running orange before, as this might be the problem (had very bad range checks).

I will post later, pls. do the same if you find a solution, thanks.
Like2fly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in