Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

are you going to put on a scale body on this,is that why the tail looks like that?
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachur779 View Post
are you going to put on a scale body on this,is that why the tail looks like that?
Actually no, but the idea came from the raised tails the genuine helis run. Pilots reported that the right hand skid lean was virtually gone when they flew them. Definitely not for everyone to be sure. But the owners of the scale helis who run raised tails also talked openly about the lack of rotor angularity that they had over normal low tail helis. They just talk as if it is well known and just assumed to work with every other scale guy they talk to. Pretty much a non issue.
That caught my attention almost 4 years ago reading some of their posts. But it never really registered until Helihaven began developing his raised tails. And I saw one on one of his 500 stretched 6s 450s. He pmd me with those same findings. I was still slightly skeptical, pretty much like most guys. I figured it was just all that weight under the rotor on scalers that helped with the lack of lean along with the raised tail.

But he sent me his original version while he began work on a new dual slider version. And I noticed the heli flew almost perfectly flat! And, I quit having tail blades nail the grass every time I landed or took off. And I quickly got used to the look. Plus, my 450 suddenly hovered like a stretched 700! It was massively more stable in a hover. And even my SK720 equipped versions stopped having hover drift! They sat motionless during Self Level mode. Whereas my standard tail equipped versions always tended to move off to one direction or another no matter what I did to them in my hours of tuning. I quickly attributed this to the flat hover I was seeing. What had happened was the Sk720fbl system had quit fighting the lean, even though it was pre programmed into the 720 to compensate for the lean. Like most upper end fbl systems. I now had insanely perfectly flat piro spin hovers. Never had this before, ever. Even in the larger helis I had flown.

Helihaven did contact me on the use of the stock Warp 17mm boom and has some valid concerns over whether it is strong enough to handle the extra boom stress this raise induces. Since it acts as a vertical lever that forcibly twists the boom back with a left twist, much like grabbing it with your hand and twisting it left until the lean is gone. So I might have the tail insert lathed down to accept a 16mm Carbonfibre Trex 500 boom instead for extra structural support over the very thin Warp boom.

This is pretty much what that will look like without the tail assy or head installed.

Oh yeah, my biggest build obstacle also.. The constant kitty attacks on anything with a wire or wires, loose parts, bolts or and anything that can be moved! If I don't clean my parts off the coffee/work table, the next morning half of them will be chased all over the room. I have spent lots of time hunting little nuts, bolts, and parts all over in my little bachelor pad when it got late and I left stuff out. The vacuum finds the ones I miss.

It actually took me a while to figure it out. Kept missing parts.

The one good thing and maybe the only good thing about being single with the heli affliction....... my coffee table and counter tops are basically all heli assembly work spaces. And quite a few of my kitchen drawers are stuffed with heli tools in them. I have a 6 drawer parts stand in the corner of my living room. (and need another one). I did move out one of my huge 2 tier Mac tool chests though, that was slightly overkill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warp 360 stretch 019.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	377755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Warp 360 stretch 020.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	377767  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #43 (permalink)

My ol' lady has learned to live with my heli affliction...lol..she sure couldn't fight it! You got your tail mount on it's way bro?
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #44 (permalink)

Default Warp head on a Beam

Well someone was going to try this eventualy so while waitng for parts I decided to try the head on my Beam 450.On the beam it was as simple as using a owb sleeve and drilling a hole that matches the warp hub.I mounted to the top hole on the Beam but is the same for many Trex with fb mainshaft.One turn out on the head links brough it to zero pitch.The Warp head weighs 23g more then the Tarot(56g vs 73g) so some 450 with less ideal main bearing placement might not work!Flys great, feels bigger, much quicker than the previous dfc head and vibs are real low, I think alot of the Warps flying atributes come from just the head!
Steve

Last edited by Stevemech; 12-27-2012 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Add info
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not yet HH. Stayed up late working on stuff so I didn't make the post office. Plus, I want to wait to get in all the ($100 for 6 flanged ceramic abec 5) bearings needed for the raise first. And they are inbound. Plus I thought about sending a tension roller, but realized the tail width will be different so that wont be headed your way. Especially since you cut your own anyways to the exact width needed.

What Helihaven is doing is cutting his own 4mm shafts, not only for the two tension rollers needed to guide the belt. But also for the tail shaft. This way the belt tension rollers will have not only ceramic bearings on the shaft. But ceramic bearings on the rollers themselves. Smooth action and virtually fool proof. Since the actual Warp tension rollers use a 3mm bolt they won't work here. So HH, what bearing sizes do you want me to order in for those rollers you want to fab up?

I am also ordering in another stock tail block from Jeff when they come in. I still want to see if the stock boom can hold up. So I can compare both the 16mm CF and the Warp boom.

I also built the new Team Flux 16mm shaft swash leveler late last night. And it is precisely machined and an easy assembly. I just wished I had some actual plexi bonding agent left. Mine had all gelled up in the cans. It melts the plastic together with far more strength than CA glue and creates cleaner junction. Anyways, I used a thick CA glue and it came out quite well. I just made sure it cured with a warm air flow over it so the CA didn't discolor the glue areas.

I had to edit here. I didn't follow the instructions. I have a few years of acrylic fab work behind me. So instead I used a thick CA glue. And coated the vertical support tabs on the notches on the bottom of them and along the sides where they contact the lower plate. I set these in place and did the same thing on the top of them. Then set the upper plate in place. Now the plastic looks clean.

For those buying one of these, just make sure you leave the actual plastic covering on both the top and bottom while gluing these together. They will come out much cleaner without having to worry about CA glue getting on the top and bottom face's.

This is a perfect swash leveling tool! The hole is perfectly tight on the Warp 360 main shaft, and at an absolute dead on 90 to the shaft. Beautiful work!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Warp swash leveling tool 001.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	377894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Warp swash leveling tool 002.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	377895  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #46 (permalink)

For the front rollers?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #47 (permalink)

Default The ultimate Warp 360 upgrade....

LOL thx for sending this Steve....thought I would share...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ultimate Warp 360 Mod.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	377909  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helihaven View Post
For the front rollers?
Yes, and also the tail shaft. So six in all is what I am sending you. Those rollers, top and bottom belt guide rollers. Are what I need to know which bearings to order. Flanged?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #49 (permalink)

Go with what you can get the easiest/cheapest in ceramic..usually the smaller they are..the more expensive and harder to find...just make sure all of em have 4mm I.D. even for the front guide rollers on the motor mount...I'll use my 4mm shafts there as well...

4x8's ought to work...dunno if they come with a larger O.D.?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
LOL thx for sending this Steve....thought I would share...
Excellent work! I wondered who would be the first to pull this off on another 450. I have to admit. I love this head!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Go with what you can get the easiest/cheapest in ceramic..usually the smaller they are..the more expensive and harder to find...just make sure all of em have 4mm I.D. even for the front guide rollers on the motor mount...I'll use my 4mm shafts there as well...

4x8's ought to work...dunno if they come with a larger O.D.?
Done! http://www.ebay.com/itm/350361442325...84.m1497.l2649
Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #52 (permalink)

Those will work just fine bro!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also since I will now have a heavier tail. I checked to see what size battery load I can fit under this fairly large Warp 360 canopy. Actually the fit and finish are as good as any of my fusano's and canomod's. Look at the end to end shots compared with my CF custom 450 canopy that I had dual 1300s stuffed into in my 12s build. The Warp is much larger. So I tacked one of my 2650 6s batts in place. And it is a close fit! I feel a 2250 6s batt would fit perfectly. But I sent out those with AP's 420mm stretched 6s 450 earlier.

Once again I am looking at some decent flight times and good flight manners I feel. But without any gears stripping causing me to loose months of work. In fact, if this heli flies as well as I expect it to, I am liquidating all my other 450s. Cleaning out all the parts. And starting a Warp parts collection instead.

Last night I came soooooo close to buying Cullens 7HV in the FS section for $550. And selling off one of my stretched 600s for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Warp 360 004.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	377935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Warp 360 003.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	377936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Warp 360 002.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	377937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Warp 360 001.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	377940  
Old 12-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #54 (permalink)

If you get rid of all of your 450 stuff...I expect a nice pretty package in the mail....*grins*
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you get rid of all of your 450 stuff...I expect a nice pretty package in the mail....*grins*
The thing would weigh 30lbs or more.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #56 (permalink)

I'll send ya some postage then....*grins*
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's the OD of an Atom boom?
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
What's the OD of an Atom boom?
Not quite sure? But someone here ordered in a couple to see if they will fit. My concern is the tail insert hub on the end since the ID of the boom might be different. Even if the OD is the same.

Also there is another thread here in the Warp section wondering how a side by side comparison would be between the 450 pro and Warp. So I decided to post up the side by side size comparison with a 450 frame vs the Warp 360. This one is standard sized, but the only one I haven't extensively modded. (beyond dual motors and the 500 sized servos) So it presents the best size comparison out of all the ones I still own. The pro which I don't have to picture isn't much different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Warp 360 002.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	378596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Warp 360 004.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	378601  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #59 (permalink)

Default Protos tail parts?

I see that the protos has a selection of tail pulleys to choose from , I wonder what can be adapted.What's the tail shaft size and will a complete tail bolt on?
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail shaft on the Warp is 4mm
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in