Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heli Started Smoking

So I was flying my first CP heli today, the Blade 450 today and this is my 6th or 7th time using it. I was doing simple flips for about 4-5 minutes and smoke started to come from the heli and it rapidly lost power so I set it down and the battery had slid up and was in contact with the motor. I made sure before flight that the battery was as far away from the motor as possible and it was strapped in as tight as I could get it.

Could the smoke been from the motor (could the motor be ruined?) or would it just be the battery? The top of the battery is worn down, won't be reusable.

I'm thinking of attaching velcro to the bottom of the battery and getting a bigger canopy so the battery isn't such a tight fit

On the plus side I managed to go inverted for about 4 seconds for the first time

Cheers.
Damo93 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need a strip of velcro on the heli and battery to keep the battery from sliding, then you strap the battery to the heli. As you found out, a strap alone isn't enough, no matter how tight you get it.

The motor should be ok, make sure nothing fused to it otherwise you may have an out of balance can. Smoke was probably just the battery, get a new one to find out what else it may have damaged.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yea I'm going to buy some velcro from the local hardware store and hopefully that should work. Will the velcro usually be strong enough to hold onto the batteries or can I use some superglue?

Hopefully, doesnt seem like anything is fused onto it either. Ordered 3 more
Damo93 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can put some CA on the backing so it won't come loose. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Heli Started Smoking

Yup just clean garbage off the motor can, been there too, sorry bout the battery loss
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure if my battery slid up or if I just strapped it in too close, but I did the same thing when I got my 450 3D. The stupid thing is, I wasn't even flying it. I was just throttling it up to get a feel for the controller. The battery didn't smoke and the heli didn't sound weird (not that I knew what it was supposed to sound like), but you could see on the motor can where it had been rubbing and the battery had a nice little chunk out of it. I thought everything was fine and it actually seemed like it, but after crashing the heli I let the battery sit on my desk for a couple of days and, sure enough, it was leaking.
chemicalflava is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem with helis is that once they start smoking at a young age, it's really hard to make them stop. Also if their friends smoke, they are likely to start as well.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojack View Post
The problem with helis is that once they start smoking at a young age, it's really hard to make them stop. Also if their friends smoke, they are likely to start as well.
Yeah I just cut the pesky nitro off by leaning out my motor. It got so mad it blew a hole in my piston and flamed out in flight. Whatever you do don't try cold turkey on the nitro..
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't glue nothing the Velcro wont go anywhere. Just clean the surfaces really good with non oily cleaner. I have a hard time removing Velcro from my installs. Once compressed especially with a strap its impossible for the Velcro to loose grip. Make sure your straps are in perfect condition with no rub marks or frays.
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in