Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FBL Purchase

I'm going to be buying an FBL sooner than later for my almost built Protos and was hoping to have some input/discussion about my options.

Option A: AR7200BX

I have a 450X so am already somewhat familiar with the AR7200BX. Having reset it immediately after purchase, I figured out how to set up the heli and BX from the get-go.

Advantage: Familiar with it, have no issues with the performance, has built-in Rx.
Disadvantage: No Governor, no bail-out

Option B: MSH Brain/iKon

Seems to be the logical choice.

Advantage: Has bailout, has governor
Disadvantage: No experience with it, have an iMac, unsure of how it flies, needs separate Rx

Now, I'm not sure if having an FBL with a gov is critical, as my ESC has a governor, but I'd need to buy a prog card. I'm also not sure how I would program the Brain, being that I only have Apple computers.

Which route would you go, and why? Would you consider other options? Which ones specifically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the Brain/Ikon only needs a satellite, yes its a Rx but its not like using a full blown Rx

i have the 7200 on mine and i am happy with it, but that is the only FBL unit i have had experience with

and i have a buddy with Ikon and he uses a mac to program it
M&P_Hooligan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P_Hooligan View Post
the Brain/Ikon only needs a satellite, yes its a Rx but its not like using a full blown Rx

i have the 7200 on mine and i am happy with it, but that is the only FBL unit i have had experience with

and i have a buddy with Ikon and he uses a mac to program it
I think I'd still need to run Parallels or Bootcamp on Mac for it to work. Means spending more money on Windows OS at the very least.

Do you run a governor on the ESC?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
I think I'd still need to run Parallels or Bootcamp on Mac for it to work. Means spending more money on Windows OS at the very least.

If you're using the stock ESC (YGE) then you'll discover it has a really good built-in governor. I'd imagine using your AR7200BX and buying a program card for the ESC (YGE $30 or Hobbyking YEP $7) would be cheaper than computer "upgrades".

I've flown and own BeastX and MSH Brain and I like them both. In my opinion - for most casual, non-pro pilots - it comes down to personal preference more than anything else. I haven't even setup the Brain governor or self level because the YGE does the governoring job just fine and I got most my crashing done a couple years ago so I don't see the need for self-level at the moment.

The MSH Brain can also be set up and tuned the via bluetooth with an Android phone or tablet so that may be an option unless you're Mac all around.

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
If you're using the stock ESC (YGE) then you'll discover it has a really good built-in governor. I'd imagine using your AR7200BX and buying a program card for the ESC (YGE $30 or Hobbyking YEP $7) would be cheaper than computer "upgrades".

I've flown and own BeastX and MSH Brain and I like them both. In my opinion - for most casual, non-pro pilots - it comes down to personal preference more than anything else. I haven't even setup the Brain governor or self level because the YGE does the governoring job just fine and I got most my crashing done a couple years ago so I don't see the need for self-level at the moment.

The MSH Brain can also be set up and tuned the via bluetooth with an Android phone or tablet so that may be an option unless you're Mac all around.
Ya, I have the stock YGE ESC and was planning on the governor feature. Was going to use it alongside a BX, then thought, maybe getting the Brain would have merit over the BX. But ya, seeing as I'm an all around Apple guy with no Android or PC products, I'm starting to think that sticking with the BX is the easiest and cheapest solution. I think getting the prog card and another BX is the best way to go. Thanks for the input and making me see clearly.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm going to be buying an FBL sooner than later for my almost built Protos and was hoping to have some input/discussion about my options.

Option A: AR7200BX

I have a 450X so am already somewhat familiar with the AR7200BX. Having reset it immediately after purchase, I figured out how to set up the heli and BX from the get-go.

Advantage: Familiar with it, have no issues with the performance, has built-in Rx.
Disadvantage: No Governor, no bail-out

Option B: MSH Brain/iKon

Seems to be the logical choice.

Advantage: Has bailout, has governor
Disadvantage: No experience with it, have an iMac, unsure of how it flies, needs separate Rx

Now, I'm not sure if having an FBL with a gov is critical, as my ESC has a governor, but I'd need to buy a prog card. I'm also not sure how I would program the Brain, being that I only have Apple computers.

Which route would you go, and why? Would you consider other options? Which ones specifically?
why limit yourself to these two flybarless units?

have you considered the following

vbar
Skookum sk540
Spartan vortex nano

all five are pretty good
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same here, Macs all around, so I got a BeastX first, last year changed to V Bar (yes they have Mac software, although a chore to get it running). In my quest for the "right feel" I must say that the differences in flight behaviour between the 2 units was not as dramatic as I thought it would be after reading through countless VBar vs. BeastX threads. If pressed, I´d say V Bar has a more rounded feel at the sticks, but for me the choice of blades had a more profound influence on how the heli flies than the choice of the FBL controller.

The disadvantages of the Beast you listed are only important if you care for these features, I don´t. YGE gov store works for me and I don´t feel the need for a bail out.

One feature the V Bar has and the others don´t is vib analysis, which can be handy when you´re chasing vibes, but it´s not the killler feature IMHO. What it did for me was proving that my method of getting rid of vibes is successful. What I hate about it is that I have to carry my laptop to the field for tuning (or buy a smartphone & BT just for this), but I´m not constantly fiddling with it after initial tuning.

Mind you this is all on my MiniP (Protos is FB), but I think most of the points would carry over to another helicopter. What would I buy if I´d want to convert the Protos to FBL? Difficult question, I still have the BeastX unit ...

Dr
Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

I have an Edge lite 75 so yes it has GOV but i dont run it as of now, today i should have my 15tooth pinion and adapter, before i could only get it to govern at about 2285 with the 13 on it so i ran a slight curve, something like 100-95-90-95-100 now i can get it to govern around the speed i want i will look at using it again
Old 04-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another question...

If I end up going with the AR7200BX, do I need a sat on this size heli, or am I fine with it on it's own?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Another question...

If I end up going with the AR7200BX, do I need a sat on this size heli, or am I fine with it on it's own?
I would run one but thats just me, i know guys that only run an RX but i felt more comfortable with 1100 dollars hanging in the air with a SAT on it
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Another question...

Per AR7200BX manual:
"The AR7200BX is perfect for mini (up to 450 class) helicopters. Using an optional DSMX remote receiver adds necessary path diversity for even the largest electric, glow, gas and turbine-powered helicopters.
ImpoRTANT: When using the AR7200BX with larger helicopters (500-size and larger): It is necessary that you connect a DSMX remote receiver. "

As the Protos 500 is bigger than an 450, you should use a satellite.
Protos Max v1 (800) - 7HV v2 - X7 - Trex 600 ESP - X5 FES - Logo 480 XXtreme - Protos 500 CF Stretched x 2 - Trex, CopterX & Blade 450s - CopterX 250 - MCPX - Nanos - XK 110. MD500 (Funkey / Align 600).
TimM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in