Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ultimate 3D Head paddle deflection

Am I right in thinking that you can change paddle deflection by moving the two metal supports that join the flybar control arms to the outer holes
I am currently using MA paddles and I noticed on reading Eric Larsons set up tips for this head that with MA paddles he runs the outer setting on the flybar control arms and with the Funtec 3D paddles he runs the inner holes on the control arms.

What effect will running my control arms on the outer holes have?

thanks
z
Zilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yes moving the pivot point on the fly bar control arms changes the input ratio of the paddles. Moving inward towards the flybar gives you more flybar paddle input with cyclic inputs . Moving outward gives you less.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What effect does this have on the heli David?

z
Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

It changes the input of flybar paddle to main blade ratio.
Most of the 3D pilots like to have more blade input than flybar input from what I have seen. The MA white pilots are really aggressive, so moving outward on the flybar arm input will tone them down. As for the Funtech paddles they have more of airfoil shape and are less aggressive. So moving inward on the flybar control arm increases the input of the paddles to give more authority.

David
Old 07-10-2006, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

David stated it exactly as it is on my sight. If you use larger paddles use the outside, if you use smaller paddles use the inside. Not a rule just a recommendation.

www.EricLarsonRC.com
EricLarson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLarson
If you use larger paddles use the outside, if you use smaller paddles use the inside.
Eric dont you have this back to front?

z
Old 07-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

David,

I am confused now why would you use the outside holes with larger paddles and then inside holes with smaler ones did Eric mean this to be the other way round?

z
Old 07-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Larger paddles have more area, so they would have more input. Smaller paddles would be need more input so that is why the inner hole would be used. Talking about the area of the paddle, not about the shape of the paddle.
The adjustment is made to get the reaction you want from the fly bar.

David
Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

so are the MA paddles larger than the funtech ones then? hence they provide more flybar input.

Its just that earlier you said they were quite aggressive so most people prefer to have them on the outside holes. Then Eric said use the inside holes so I am getting a bit muddled .

I think what would help me to understand is what effect having more input from the flybar has on the heli and what effect less input has, David can you explain this to me?

z
Old 07-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The Funtech paddles have a larger area than the MA paddles.
But the main difference is that the Funtech paddles have a rounded leading edge. The rounded leading edge gives them a more smoother bite.
The leading edge on the smaller area MA paddles is very sharp. So they have a more aggressive bite .

Most 3D flyers like to have more main blade input ratio. Adjusting the ratio of input from the flybar to the mainblade is how the feel they are looking for is achieve. Moving in and out on the flybar control arm is one way of setting the ratio.
As with most adjustments on helis. It all comes down to personal preference and what the pilot wants the heli to do.

David
Old 07-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

OK, But what effect will this have on the heli, Am I right in saying that if you move to the outer holes on a pair of MA paddles you will have less flybar input so the heli will be less stable and if you move to the inner holes you will have more input so that heli will be more stable or is it the other way round?

z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in