Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Open Tailbox v Closed

I know the open tailbox was done to death a few months ago and I decided to stick with the closed box on my Stratus conversion until I was confident that the wrinkles had been ironed out. I have not seen any threads recently to suggest the open box is still having problems so I am now considering changing over.

The reasons I believe the open tailbox may be an improvement are as follows:

1 - Runs Quieter ?
2 - Weight (open weighs less) ?
3 - easier to work on ?
4 - cheaper to repair ?
5 - lower parts count ?

Can anyone confirm if I am correct in the above assumptions.
Weight is of real interest mainly cause a few grams on the tail can translate to a few ounes up front and I am on a mission to lower the weight of my Stratus as it needs a diet!

I do find my Stratus to be quite noisy when compared to other 90's and I reckon the plastic tail gears will run more quietly is this the case?

Any feedback would be gratefully received

z
Zilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
X
Registered Users

Not agree with you on #4.
x
X is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

we use the open box'es on our scalers running 4, 120mm blades and have had absolutely zero failures... i havent ran one on a 3d'r though..... just giving you some feedback in our situation... the open box fits in a more narrow spot than the closed box which is why we use it mainly....
Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

The output shaft, and both gears run about $35 from MA. They usually get destroyed in a crash on the tail whereas metal gears would probably stand up (never crashed a closed box).

All in all id say go with the Open box with the latest output shaft with DIMPLES/SETSCREWS not HOLES/PINS through the gears/shaft. I wouldnt hesitate to run the latest shaft/gears on even a gasser. Ive had NO problems with my open box with the latest gears/shaft. It does run quieter and autos better and turns way smoother. Set the gears so you have barely any mesh, fly it for a few tanks, set em again after they break in so you have hardly to no lash at all again and fly the darn thing and not worry about a thing. I love the open box and I wouldnt change to the closed one for anything as mine has been working flawlessly. :glasses2:

Good Job MA! Two thumbs up! :thumbsup2:
ChrisLaFollette is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

#1. Seems to be a little quieter.

#2. The open box actually weighs more than the closed gear box.

#3. Still has to be taken apart like the closed box.

#4. Metal gears and the plastic gears are about same cost.

#5. Same parts in both. Couple of gears and bearings. Also spacers and collars.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What was the issue with the open tail box on the Spectra?

Bringing people out of Radio Shack and into the hobby.

μολὼν λαβέ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ClayK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Some of the open boxes on the Spectra were breaking the output shafts at the bearing. There is still some of the Spectra's also still running the original output shafts in the open tail box.

The original output shaft had a hole thru it where the pin for the gear went thru it.
Now all the out put shafts are dimpled and the out put gear is held in place by set screws.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

MA has it written on the package for the open tail boxes to run them on nitro and elec only. At least on the ones I have. All 3 of my Spectras have the closed box and haven't had any problems.

This past Sunday I was flying one of my Tempest FAI's and noticed a vibration in the tail that had not been there before. After checking everything I could think of I took the tail shaft out and it had some runout in it that was causing the vibration. This heli hasn't been down or even landed hard so I'm not sure what caused the shaft to do that but I replaced it and it's back to being silky smooth again.
Gary O is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in