Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Wink Painting FAQ and TECH data

Hey ,
I sit back and Read this posts about how people are asking what can i use for this or what can i do for that . i've allways been pro "HOK" paints for the 15 years I been painting. I will toss up a pdf that will explain prep, the materials and the proper way of spraying the paint you will notice that you don't have to have a real gun it's the needle size that matters . I have all makes and models from iwata to binks to finshline .i might not know alot about helicopters as a hobby but i spent a good part of my life building and painting cars. Any way in the futire i will be doing a step by step video on how to paint one with good products and get you all the tricks as well as how much the paint cost that i used i will cover home made templates vs pre made if you have photo shop or corel draw you have everthign you need i've onlty a few time used my plotter to cut my stuff mainly if it was a over and over thing for a progject that was to large and the paint would build up on the mask. Any way here is a tech guide you will notice that it shows some colors and tips remember if you NEVER painted a true candy in your life buy a House of kolor. I love to see it when painter tell people just toss some candy over you graphic "real painters call it under painting " There are 2 types of candies that why i refer to "HOK" . First off you have a UK candy if your a true painter use this but be aware that the Color on this builds up slow and when i use to do the 32 fords it was like 12-14 trips around the car laying candy . The other you can get away with is a KBC i use this on smaller stuff i want the color to build fast and not bank up on the mil's .. Just remember to make sure if you like a " Candy Burple" check to make use what the underlaying base coats are the product # start with BC for base coat . I can sit here and break down every aspect for you but i'm trying to keep this simple as i can . I sorry for the bad writting as far as format i'm not a writer .
I hope you enjoy
Kustom

TECH PDF

Last edited by Kustom; 06-07-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: i suck at spelling "I kan't spel" lol
Kustom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kustom thanks for the PDF .
I have a hok starter set but I have not try it yet. I’m going to try to paint something on my t-rex 500.
I have been painting for a while but mostly t-shirts. I know you said you like hok but just wondering if you have tried any water based paint(I bet your laughing)would water based be easer for somebody new?Can't wait to see your video!
Thanks for the info…
12/07/41 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Can you give me a link to the HoK starter set?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check out Coast airbrush.com
It’s not cheap I think I paid 125 or 150 .
Sorry I don’t know how to put up a link….
Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the comment . to answer you question about if i tried water based paints . I have and i found them not for me the cleaning of the equipment it not the best thing i found you can look at eastwoods catalog and you will see that they sell "hairdryers" to cure the paint but what most people do not think about is auto air still uses a reg type clear coat don't quote me on that but i did not like it .. but cool you got a starter kit what airbrush you using? if it's a iwata with the teflon o ring i got a killer cleaning tip for you i've been using for years when i doing alot of small stuff i keep a can of carb cleaner on my bench i use it to clean the airbrush out ina hurry between colors before someone else jumps in that t=not the only way i clean but you will notice it loosens any thing stuck .. if you using a top feed airbrush and you wanna know now to mix your paint fill the cup with your color not to the up leave a little room at the top then add drops of you reducer for most of my things i use the ru311 works best for me don't mix the paints togeather it wil be nightmare .. when you want to have some fun get some sg100 intercoat clear and pick a INTENSIFIER KANDY KONCENTRATE (KK) to your sg100 nore more then 10% by volume and if you need to get the bottles to mix that in MAKE sure to get FLORA-seal ones from coast airbrush the reducers will eat the cheap bottles you get at most hobby type stores .. i hope this helps in any way i hpoe i did not make it too techy .It's kinda hard when you have the certs in certin products . but if need be send me a messege and i will respond and post some pics of what you working on i will see if i can help in any way
Kustom
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens View Post
here you go man coast airbrush don't be afraid to call dave there his staff is great
coastairbrush

look for kit a or kit b
kustom
Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I started with Coast's Kit B, has lots of nice colors, candies and pearls. I then bought black, white and some neons. The tech manual is gold, read it! The only issue I have is that they recommend less reducer than you need, at least for airbrushing. IIRC, they say 1:1 in most cases for airbrushing, I think it should say 1:2 in most cases. (1 part paint, 2 parts reducer)

-Farrell
Farrell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kustom I have a Iwata Revolution and a Paasche Talon I’m not sure if they have Teflon washers in them but I’m going to look into it.
What gun do you use to clear with and can you use a mini gun for clearing?
Thanks…
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

# 1 good choice on the airbrush the revolution is the entry level so i'm not sure, but when i painted smaller things i could get away with useing a iwata hpc. I will prop use
the rg3 mini gun from iwata like a airbrush works great on small graphics ,but agin if you doing a small 450 size cano to a helmet you can use a hpc . but as far as my clear guns it depends on the size of the project you gonna be doing . i've used the LPH 100 just make sure you change the needles for the job you don't wanna use a 2.2 needle for spraying clear you will hose it one and we be sanding for hours . my gun of choice is the lhp 400 LVX but like i said i've done this for years so i can afford the to buy the high end. we i travel to do some jobs and i can't pack up my gun and use theres i've used sata brand and even a finex which i surprized buy . i endup getting one for testing .. i will not say it's the gun that makes the painter it's the painter that makes the gun .. my first guy was a 20 buck harbor frieght gun that i still have today i use it as a primer gun .. i will include some pic's of my guns so you can research them and find what works best for you what every you get make sure you can find a rebuild kit and local parts just stay away from the wall mart specials and the homedepot deal i know they look good but in the long run they will fail you . i know i been there before. any way when you decide what you get post up what you find and i will tell you what i think or we can find you one that fits you budget ..
sprayguns
sprayguns 2

let me know Kustom
Old 06-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

HOK was top dog in its day and is still a good product. Although I don't think its as good as it was when Kosmoskie owned it.

There are simpler and easier to use finishes that will do the job as well and won't break the bank. Try here for some alternatives. they carry everything from tape to airbrushes to paint. I buy a lot of my pinstriping gear from them.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Restorationshop/

Before it starts, paint preferences will be much like who makes the best lipo. Ask 20 guys, you'll get 21 answers.

Just wanted to offer dsome alternatives.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
In the Netherlands, http://www.airbrush-services-almere.nl/ has a lot of stuff.
mjbrands is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Here ya go.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/hokstrkits.aspx
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That looks like the HoK striping set... if it is that isn't paint you airbrush with.

I have heard rumors that TCP reduces the paint they sell in small quantities. I do not want to spread rumors, can anyone confirm?

-Farrell
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell View Post
That looks like the HoK striping set... if it is that isn't paint you airbrush with.

I have heard rumors that TCP reduces the paint they sell in small quantities. I do not want to spread rumors, can anyone confirm?

-Farrell
It's actually used for both applications because its a pigment rich finish(covers well with little paint). If you read the blurb about that HOK line it says "HOK's Striping & Lettering enamels are specially designed for striping, lettering, and airbrush artwork."

Just thin it down for airbrush work. I do both and it's is a great finish but there are others too. I've used One Shot in an airbrush in a pinch with good results.

The urethanes are nice for airbrush because they flash dry almost instantly and won't smear like water based or alkyd or oil based enamel paints. But, the trade off is $$$.

I've bought a wide variety of paint and equipment from TCP over the years and never had any problem. I doubt an organization their size would be foolish enough to repackage or tamper with products. They're one of the largest HOK distributors in the country. My guess is the rumor mill is working overtime.

IMO
Old 06-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell View Post

-Farrell
i'm not going to comment on it ,but i know the owner of coast airbrush his name is dave and i been buying from him since the start i know he is one of the few that gets the hok from the factory in small quantities.. if you don't believe me give them a call you will be glad you did . i know of 2 places that got in trouble for makign there own bottles.. if your unsure of the source find a better place don't take a chance
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had not heard of using that for airbrushing, but fair enough.

Coast has the full range of HoK products, and they have a nice kit for $150.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddet...od=KITB&cat=96

You get a quart of reducer, two rolls of fine line tape, and tons of paint and flakes. That is the kit I got when I first started with and it's great. Not bad for $150. Just get some white, black and silver too, and if you like candies buy a few more colors if desired.

-Farrell

EDIT: Kustom: yup I buy all my stuff from Coast, and I'm local too. Great place.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

dave and crew is great i hung with them at sema many times people know me i'm the guy with the hok tat on the back of my neck just get some extra 311 some times there is never enough in the kit. i noticed they add more kits for the hobbiest complete color kits you make out like a bandit for the neon kits but if you know it only stays super brite for like 3 to 6 months
Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

HOw soon before we can see a vid Kustom?
Hirobo SDX-CGY750
GootyS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GootyS View Post
HOw soon before we can see a vid Kustom?
as soon as thing with work lighten up. besides i'm working on some new ideas to show people not the same old stuff i see everybody do like the thin painted lines . might have to bust out some old skool flake i want to people think outside the box ..
Old 06-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustom View Post
as soon as thing with work lighten up. besides i'm working on some new ideas to show people not the same old stuff i see everybody do like the thin painted lines . might have to bust out some old skool flake i want to people think outside the box ..
+1 on outside the box.

Painting technique can be acquired with practice.

Its the creativity that makes an artist. Looking at Kustom's profile, I'd say we can all pick up a thing or two from him...pretty darn impressive.

Last edited by Pompano Mike; 06-25-2009 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: fat finger spelling
Pompano Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in