Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking what ...primer

Can anyone tell me which primer is good to use when painting basecoat/clearcoat paint for these canopies-etching primer in quarts or how about aerosol cans or 2K primer high build...or something else. Really confusing?
BobSalvo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just use the cheapest 2k high build white primer whether I'm painting over new, or secondhand canopies. Works for me.
buckers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

How does that come in quart, spray and is that an epoxy?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I buy it in one litre cans, and mix it 4:1, paint to activator, then 10% (ish) 2k thinners. I find bigger cans too cumbersome to use. A one litre can will last me 3 months (painting canopies).
buckers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I keep it simple and just use white Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2X Primer. Dries quick and sands good. It usually takes me at least a couple of days of priming, sanding and priming and if I had to mix catalyzed paint and clean out my gun every time I needed to re-prime an imperfection I sanded out, I'd go nuts and spend a lot more money.

Once I have worked my primer coat over and over to perfection, I'm usually burned out and let it set a few days. Then I shoot the whole thing with Auto-Air Sealer White and go to town.

--Elisabeth

My last one - a special request

Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is really awesome job... you use the 2K primer which is used for the 2K basecoat clearcoat...right. What colors did you use especially that awesome blue I love it.
One last thing how did you do the DSX R is that a mask or decal?
Let me no I gotta NO
Old 02-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use rattle can primer from Wal-Mart. Rust-Oleum 2x coverage. I don't even know what 2K is?

The "awesome blue" is a color I mixed. With a few exceptions, I use Auto-Air and Wicked water-based paints. I have a few specialty solvent based colors but don't use them often.

For clear, I'm using Advantage brand high solids acrylic urethane and activator which is about $50 bucks a quart and not something you can shoot without using a good respirator. I buy in gallon sizes but figure on also needing at least a quart of urethane reducer ($18) for cleanup and thinning. It comes in fast, medium and slow. Nothing else cuts urethane.

The GSX-R and Suzuki "S" were done with a paint mask using Oracal 810 vinyl cut with a plotter. I've got a few threads in the painting forum with some of my other creations and progression as a for-the-fun-of-it painter.

--Elisabeth
Old 02-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I gotta tell you I saw some of your other canopies and they are really unbelievable
The logo canopy especially colors and masking design how do you do that . Think about colors and the design, and what do you mean by the Oracal 810 vinyl cut. Can I buy that or what?
Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, it's a good idea to know what you want to do before randomly starting to paint.

I usually start by sketching things out on my computer and playing with different ideas and combinations

Get some 1/16th inch fine line masking tape and lay out your design. Mask a section then paint, then mask over that section, unmask another and paint it. You may end masking and unmasking the whole thing several times over.

Oracal 810 vinyl paint mask film won't do you much good unless you have a vinyl plotter to cut it. You can also buy stencils from somewhere like airsickstencils.com but now that I can cut my own, I don't.

Search YouTube. There's a ton of airbrush tutorials.

--Elisabeth
Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey EKron waz up! I went to Wal-Mart and looked for paint they do have primer and and paint cans but are all marked 2X cans. That just means it is double the coverage but it's not compatible to 2K paint. It was my impression 2K means that it needs to be reduced where 1K is already reduced. Can you do me a favor and send a pic of equipment masks and all paint cans please. Sounds like a lot of money. I don't think I'm going to spend to much time on a lot of canopies.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalvo View Post
Can you do me a favor and send a pic of equipment masks and all paint cans please
Ummm, no.

I made it clear that I do not even know what 2K paint is. I also specifically stated I use Rust-Oleum™ 2X Primer in white. Spray can.

I do my painting with water based color. (Auto-Air & Wicked) Airbrush & airbrush compressor.

I use automotive urethane clear with the appropriate activator. Urethane specific reducer will help it flow better and reducer is the only thing that works for cleanup. I spray clear with a gravity fed, hvlp touch-up spray gun fed from my 8 HP, 30 gallon compressor. Breathing this is fairly deadly.

Get a couple cans of florescent spray paint from Wal-Mart and a junk canopy to practice on. You're probably not going to create a masterpiece first time. Spray can clear would probably work for you too? Near me, there's an automotive paint superstore that can mix epoxy type paints and put them in a spray can but it is expensive and has to be used right away. You may have something like this in your area and if you try searching this forum, can probably find online vendors.

--Elisabeth
Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK Thanks I'll give it a shot
Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sorry to keep bothering you and asking questions. I just can't believe you get those results from Wal-Mart paint. Last question is how do you get a sample of your heli you have to paint, and make samples on your computer?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not to be overly rude but do you have a reading comprehension problem?

Forget using the computer. Get some colored pencils or markers and sketch it on paper.

--Elisabeth
Old 05-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Incase anyone still cares, a 2K product just means 2 Komponent "from German" in other words it needs a hardener. Epoxy glue, automotive clear, primer, sealer, if it says 2K it means it requires an activator/hardener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blue92ehsi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in