Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Update

Reference here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862320

Quote:
But anyway ... Light Cycle Oil as used for fine machinery as Sewing Machines etc. is in my opinion (as a Petrochemical Lab owner) the best for the job. It's light, it's clean, easy to apply just that tiny drop, doesn't collect crud or dust.

Nigel
After years of searching for "the best" lubricant, I have to agree with Nigel. I'm an Engineer whose expertise is not lubrication, and from experience know that when the advice of an expert makes good sense, they're most likely correct.

I skate 100% purpose-build custom quads, and they use bearings that are extremely similar to heli bearings. The suggested lube was Marvel Mystery Oil, which is very light and fast. Runs are fast and hard, generally lasting 4 hours continuous, sometimes 6. The shielded bearings are pulled, cleaned, and lubed after every run. At the advice of another Engineer I changed to a light spray grease with Teflon(tm), and found the grease has an initial "break-in" and then the skates roll faster. The same cleaning schedule was necessary, because the bearings still picked up the usual particulates. After using that for a few months I was not completely satisfied and decided to try the oil again--what a difference! No break-in, super-slippery, and the incredible performance had returned. It has the consistency of sewing machine oil, and the bearings still haven't worn out.

I added a computerized display to my truck which ties to the main computer, and have a full read on what's going on. After extensive research on engine oil I decided to switch to a synthetic 5W-30 from 10W30 and saw an increase in fuel mileage, paralleling the skate bearing experience.

I used to work for a factory that had a sewing department. Industrial sewing machines are run hard and fast, similar to helis. They packed large machine bearings with grease, and lubed sewing machines with sewing machine oil. Having been in the Quality Control department myself, I'm certain the company would have packed the sewing machine bearings with grease or switched to engine oil if it offered an overall advantage. The properly maintained equipment almost never went down.

Relating decades of tangible experiences to Nigel's expert advice, it follows he's correct: keep the bearings clean and lubed with sewing machine oil. We don't use grease to lubricate car engines, or engine oil to lubricate the axles, so why lubricate what is basically a sewing machine with anything but sewing machine oil? Experience has shown me that years back companies employed common-sense, practical-thinking, well-educated persons who got results by using proven methods. Top bearing manufacturers use a light coating of machine oil, and sell the same lube with the instructions to use one drop for ceramics, two for steel, all of which matches with what Nigel is saying, which is an informed, common-sense, practical-thinking, proven method.

Regarding cleaning frequency, "50 flights" seems to be a commonly suggested number by experienced pilots. From my skate bearings (which are still like new):
(4 hours) * (60 minutes per hour) = cleaned every 240 minutes of use
(240 minutes use) / (5 minutes per flight) = 48 flights

So cleaning / lubing every 50 flights should keep the bearings in top shape.

Thank you Nigel for getting to the bottom of this.
WI_Hedgehog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really does come down to the function the bearing is playing, doesn't it?

Bearings in the blade grips are highly loaded and never go through one full revolution. Light machine oil isn't what you want in those, as they would be more along the lines of axle bearings on a car.

Motor bearings- I completely agree with the tiny bit of lightweight oil. They are spinning faster than anything else on the heli and need to be as free as possible.

So when it comes down to it, I suppose you could have a different spec for every bearing on the heli, as they are loaded differently and spin at various rpm ranges.
RyanW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Bearings in the blade grips are highly loaded and never go through one full revolution. Light machine oil isn't what you want in those, as they would be more along the lines of axle bearings on a car.
Excellent point, and I found the answer somewhat surprising: The bearings are actually high speed due to the rapidly changing blade angles, but undergo frequent start/stop cycles.

http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/528/grease

http://www.nmbtc.com/bearings/white-...brication.html

Summary: Use oil in high-speed, low torque applications, grease in low-speed, high-torque applications.

Although we consider heli parts under high torque, it's relative to the lightweight materials used. Sewing machines are considered high-speed low-torque but produce more torque than helis.

Thanks again for bringing this up, I too wondered about that and you prompted more research resulting in an answer.
WI_Hedgehog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know this is an oldish thread but does anyone know if the greaser if available in the UK?

I can't find anyone stocking it.

Thanks
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I don't know but my Ron ships to the UK?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just had a look on Ron's site and he has them in stock, looks like I'll have to get one from the US.

Many thanks for the reply Bob

BTW, love your vids mate, must have watched them all on here, very helpful

Cheers,
John.
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought THE GREASER some years ago and there was a suggestion that accessories would become available in due course.
Were accessories ever produced?

EDIT Top Dollar paid for THE GREASER. Is there one available anywhere?
Any information gratefully received

Last edited by tony#1; 05-22-2016 at 05:47 AM..
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Alternative to THE GREASER

As an alternative to THE GREASER (which no longer seems to be available) there is an ABC HOBBY BEARING REFRESHER #69070.
The following link shows cleaning of a bearing for the first minute with the rest of the clip showing the use as a bearing greaser. Try:-
youtube.com/watch?v=RPmkx2AyklY
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Mate
Been looking for The Greaser and low and behold found this
Again
Thanks Mate
Falung_69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a spare. It might still be new... let me check.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Thanks Ryan

But I have received this Bearing Refresher and used it and it does repack the bearings very well , not much of a mess and really no fuss at all

But I do thank you for offering up your's man

Appreciate it man
Falung_69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in