Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxout View Post
Thanks 0636 for getting me going on my tricopter project. It took a while with every thing going this summer, but I finally got it built and hovered it today. I had to hover inside because the weather was lousy today. I went all aluminum and my setting are pretty close to what you had suggested. I had to settle for a mystery ESC 30A, so far so good. HK had all of the other ESC's on back order, when I order. Thanks again to you and all the guys here on HF and those over on RC Group. Here's a few photos of my tricopter.
Maxout,

Your tricopter looks nice. Are you going to do FPV? It's really fun to fly it that way.

Got myself a GoPro Hero HD camera. Now straggle with "jello effect" caused by vibes. I have to re-do camera platform, will see how it works out...
0636 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello 0636,
Yes, I'm going to get into the FPV with my tricopter. I've got it trimmed out pretty good. I still have some changes to make to it like legs, camera mounts etc. I have some foam cushion on each arm now, but I want to raise it up off the ground some more by making up some legs for it. I'm also planning on getting the Go Pro Hero HD camera. The wife took some video yesterday of me playing around in the back yard with it. I had some formating issues with the video, if I get it iron out I will post it. I've taken it out four times since I finished it up and still have some trimming to do, but I can't believe how well it handles. Thanks again 0636.
Hirobo Shuttle, srb. Trex 450se V2, GY401, S9257, hs-65mg servos, 430XL Motor, 11v 2100mah, 325 cb Futaba 7cap Tx, RealFlight G-4.5, T-rex 500, 6sKP2600,GY401,9257, HC 3D, mCX,(2) HK 450's, telebee gyro, hxt900 cyclic.
maxout is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Testing my GoPro HD mount. I think it's fine for now.

During one of the test flight, flock of birds was interested in flying in formation with tricopter...
[ame]http://www.vimeo.com/15862526[/ame]
Old 10-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ 0636 - great setup there.. it hums like a B52 Bomber - lol... Hope mine turns out that well.. i'll be very happy if it does..

I noticed in your setup that you are swinging 9x4.7 props instead of 11x4.7 like most.. I gather that's the motor difference as most have been using the dt750's (I have some on order)..

have you tried 11x4.7 or dt750's at all - any comments on them vs your setup?

Also I need to order some esc's still - are you happy with the Hobyking SS-30A ones in your config.. should I get those? They are certaining cheap enough, don't want them dieing in flight on me thou... do they respond quickly to throttle changes from the gyro? or would you suggest another esc now that you have more experience with the tricopter?
DX7 Mode-1 | 450 pro 6s | 450 pro | Schweizer 300C Gasser Scale | T-Rex550e | Aeolus 50 | HeliX T-Rex700 fbl Gasser | HWC600 Gasser | Henseleit MPXLe | Henseleit 3DNT | Suzi-Janis 700 | Gaui NX4 | Gaui X5 | Blade 350QX
jockstrap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jockstrap,

The reason I'm using 9x4.7 is just they have quicker response than 11x4.7. And thrust is enough to keep my tricopter flying with AUW around 1kg. And I don't like SF type of props.
They tend to fail and break at hub.

Regarding motor - as long as it in low KV and have 100-200W power they are all good... of cause, if well made, they will have less vibs and will last longer.

ESC SS-30A - so far so good. They are quick in response, can handle digital mode update rates coming from gyros. I have probably 400-600 flights and not one get south so far. Though, I've crashed two times my tricopter (because of bloody SF prop)

I've tried gyros in normal mode - and tricopter was much less stable. I tested it with bunch of settings... so this combination HK401 gyro in digital mode, SS-30A ESC and 9x4.7 fast prop gave me almost perfect stability... the only problem is when with sudden throttle move, those gyros do not centers back well... as the result I have to go back holding cyclic at almost max position, and it will stay this way until power cycle.

PS: you can lessen this effect by limiting gyro through down like 80%, it still enough to keep tricopter stable.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great stuff 0636..

I'm going to start with the SF 11x4.7 props and see how my lift is with camera and fully weighted and if there is sufficient lift I think i'll try your 9x4.7 props as I would imagine the faster the response in motor the more stable the craft could be.

re the gyro problem - I gather this could be of course solved with better gyros but at the expense of extra $$$ too..
DX7 Mode-1 | 450 pro 6s | 450 pro | Schweizer 300C Gasser Scale | T-Rex550e | Aeolus 50 | HeliX T-Rex700 fbl Gasser | HWC600 Gasser | Henseleit MPXLe | Henseleit 3DNT | Suzi-Janis 700 | Gaui NX4 | Gaui X5 | Blade 350QX
Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post Wiring/Electronics etc....

Can anyone explain the wiring/electornics connections with a diagram complete with the receiver, ESCs, Gyros, Motors , Ubec etc....

I am interested to build one and have fun with.

Thanks
Jason
Kyosho Nexus30/OS37SZH
Trex450S + Trex450S GF + Trex450SA (for Project)
jasdall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

jasdall,
This address was given on the first page of this thread by 0636, click on it and it will take you to the RC Groups threads that have all the answers you are asking about.
Hirobo Shuttle, srb. Trex 450se V2, GY401, S9257, hs-65mg servos, 430XL Motor, 11v 2100mah, 325 cb Futaba 7cap Tx, RealFlight G-4.5, T-rex 500, 6sKP2600,GY401,9257, HC 3D, mCX,(2) HK 450's, telebee gyro, hxt900 cyclic.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way guys, I'm in process of tuning my new build... this time t-copter with Arduino/ Wii Motion+ controller (instead of 4 gyros).

Speaking of props selection... I'm in search for new, bigger ones. Because AUW of t-shaped copter with FPV and GoProHD is about 1150 - 1200 gram and 9x4.7 props are working really hard which leaves me with no margin. I hover at 75% of throttle when lipo is fresh.

Well, I've tried EPPs, HKs 10x3.8, 10x4.7, 10x5 etc... All of them are much heavier then my previous 9x4.7 - ( 14/17 gram vs. 6 gram). Plus some quality issues and as a result lots of vibration and t-copter is not smooth and definitely not ready for GoProHD.

I was thinking that T-shape would give me better FOV for GoProHD but I am almost ready to get back to Y shaped copter, just make it a bit smaller/lighter in order to use my 9x4.7...

Oh well, this weekend I will try APC 10x4.7 and then will decide.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm really interested in your Arduino/ Wii Controller. How do I go about getting componants and build instructions for the Arduino/ Wii Controller? By the way, my aluminum tricopter flew pretty good, but it was much too heavy. I'm in the process of trimming it down now. I built a wood one a couple of weeks ago, just to have something to practice on. Good luck with your new build.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, it's been almost 2 weeks since I started new build with Arduino + Wii Motion Plus as gyros. What a ride it was!

You can find base design of flight controller on that site :
http://radio-commande.com/internatio...copter-design/

In two weeks I contributed some firmware changes to the author and he is using some of it in his firmware 1.4. Well, mine firmware is bit different. I was aimed to FPV not aerobatic use of triWii.

I guess I've finally nailed balance I need to do FPV with GoProHD... tomorrow will do final test and post pictures, clip and more information.

So far bottom line is:

there is no software magic bullet which will allow bad mechanics fly good.

So, the same tricopter will hover just about the same with gyros or Arduino controller.

Differences are :
Arduino does not have a problem with "re-centering" after harsh stick input;
Arduino does not wobble tricopter when rapid descending;
Arduino more flexible (who can doubt it . if you are willing to mingle with software/firmware;
HK gyro works better keeping tail put (in HH mode);
I think HK gyros react faster on sudden wind gust but it's too early to say conclusively.

Well, tommorow we will see...
Old 11-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got back. Nothing spectacular.

TriWii seems to do fine when flying it by sight. It's different through FPV.

I think HK gyros provide more stable hover plus react faster on wind gusts. Arduino does wobble on rappid descend, may be just a bit less... I guess, I will make another tricopter using HK gyros and will compare side by side.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good info. 0636, I've decided to forget about the arduino Wii platform for now. I'm getting one of the kkmulticontroller boards and using the hk gyros. I'll be trying it on a tricopter first and then a quad.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a short video of my wood tricopter.
I've made a couple of mods since then, arms are now 18", they were 20". I had to redesign the tail assembly. I used some light weight soft aluminum bent in a channel shape with 5/16" pivot holes originally. The holes became washed out in a short time causing a lot of movement and vibration. When I redesigned the tail I went to a wood base with a 5/16" hole drilled, the length of it, for the aluminum pivot shaft, much better than the metal to metal contact I had at first.
.[YOUTUBE][
Tricopter testing (1 min 54 sec)

Last edited by maxout; 11-23-2010 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: I'll PM you how to post YouTube videos in an HF post :)
Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey I got my tri built. 4 gyro style.and crash's 6061 tri frame. My question is do you have to adjust your trim settings every time you fly. It takes me bout 3 or 4 mins to get it to trim out.also my I gave my hk gyros settings on the gyro itself set max gain and 0 delay. I set my gain by my dx61 throttle curve. My pitch curve is set 0 to 100% linear /. On my subtrims I had set Aile=32 to the left and pitch 5 to the down and ele 37 down.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ 0636 - been a while but got my tri off the ground..

Still being worked on but is fun to fly... I tried 11x4.7 as stated in my earlier posts but found the motors got quite warm, but it had plenty of power. Changed to 10x4.7 and a lot better, motors are barely warm but a little less power.

Started off using 3 x align 750 gyros on the motors and worked well but then scored a cheap skookum sk-720 so decided to play with the self-level feature there..

I'm using 30% self level and the tri just glides around like a sailing boat - lol, nice and relaxing - quite stable.

The sk720 means all I have is 2 satellite receivers, the sk720, esc's and a tail servo - really simple setup.

Here is one of my final test flights - changed the cyclic gain a little since then so is a little more stable but you'll get the idea of how it is..

Oh - I made really long 70cm arms which can be folded and lock in place with a pin I machined on my lathe - it's huge so flies gentle rather than sporty.. I think i'll chop 20cm off them and give that a try to get a good balance between stability and agility.

My friends have flown it and love it.. had quite a few crashes with it already trying stupid things and the worst damage has been bent arms and a few broken props - straightened the arms (aluminium U channel) and props were only a few dollars

soon i'll start putting some fpv stuff on it hopefully when time permits..

It's fun flying it around the park, you get some looks and it's nice and quiet - stealth like - lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvMCC4uoDdA[/ame]
Old 12-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6061 tricopter setup questions.

Hello all,
I have purchased the ARF kit from fpvpilot.com. It’s the 6061 with gyros,esc,motors, props. Now I need advice. I want to get the rest of the gear for my tricopter.
Here is my Idea of what I think I want to do.
I want to fly out to 2 miles,
I want a good camera with tilt,
I would like OSD, autopilot with RTH
goggles,
ground station setup that can record

Can I do all that?
I have a JR 9303 and I am looking at Chainlink and Dragonlink

I want to order my stuff soon. I was going to call one of the hobbie suppliers to get a package deal, but they wish to sell on the web and do not have phone numbers to take real calls for questions.

I have read about the difference between 900hz, 5.8, 1.3. It sounds like 1.3 is the best but 900 is good. 900 may have interference problems. Goggles only support 5.8 or 900 as far as my research can tell.

I think I like the 1.3 but the goggles will not work
Help?
Thanks,
Dave

PS. How far out can I fly on 2.4 for testing????
bugmyspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in