Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro

Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Outrage Velocity 90 Nitro Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Vel 90 tail ROCKS

There it is in a nutshell the new Vel 90 tail is flat out awesome. It is a beautiful piece of work, it is rigid as hell and comes almost completely assembled with thread lock. The only thing that needs to be assembled is the torque tube and the tail rod needs to be adjusted. I comes with the front and rear gear cases, new larger profile white gears (same material as the new Fusion gears), carbon fiber boom pre-drilled and sanded, new stronger tail rod guides, beefier front boom support mounts (no more cones to push into your boom supports, tail clamp for boom support, carbon tail fin, and triple bearing tail rotor. Here is the skinny as I see it:
Pros:
1. Very strong and rigid.
2. Front rear gear boxes have capture screws for maintain position on boom.
3. New gears are lower profile with increased tooth surface area.
4. Gears come with shims to allow for your personal mesh adjustment
5. Tail is smooth design as the fusion
6. Complete retrofit, no modifications necessary.
7. Three point snub nose torque tube ends with capture to ensure seating and prevent vibrations
8. Tail guides have multiple height adjustments and new stronger tightening system
9. Bright aluminum finish looks sharp against the carbon fiber.
10. Torque tube and bearing are interchangeable with previous tail
11. Front boom supports design is not only better and stronger, but it reinforces the frame at the point of contact.
Cons:
1. New tail rotor is 9mm shorter than original. Approximately the same size as the fusion's. Therefore your overall tail rotor disk will be that much smaller. Not sure if they adjusted the gear ratio as i have not calculated it yet. However, as I use 115mm tail blades anyway, not sure if this is a factor. my tail was SOLID!
2. My tail yoke was a little tight. I traced it down to some flashing on the linkage coming from the yoke to the tail grip. A little sanding paper and it was as right as rain.

Conclusion:
The new tail is definitely a winner. it is a well though out design and comes as a complete unit. It flew rock solid, and was as smooth as silk,not to mention looked great in the air. Everyone at my field was impressed with how locked in the bird was and the difference in the tail hold. I have long suspected that some of the tail issues that I had with my Vel 90 was do to the existing tail boom being too thin and having too much flex thereby transferring vibrations down the heli to the fbl at a degrading rate. Not so with the new tail. it did not so much as quiver.
As a matter of fact, after installing it I noticed some wobble in my head. After completely swapping out heads, blades, greasing dampeners, and replacing shafts we were at a lost to the issues. One of the guys at the field who was smarter than I suggested reducing my D gain in the 750 from the 200 default to 35,and bingo, the bird flew like butter. The consensus was that since the old tail had flex it acted as a sort of dampener to the 750 system. It did not wobble at a D of 200, but never really felt locked in either. However with the new tail being much more rigid, the 750 no longer had the previous issues to contend with and was now overcompensating for a more locked in bird. Whatever the case, the 90 with the new tail has now made it to the top of my favorite to fly list and I would recommend this upgrade anyone who wants o experience what this heli can really do.
I will try to post pics this Thursday when I get a chance to anyone who is interested.
Tone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	358910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0924.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	358911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	358912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	358913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	358914  

Team Lynx

Last edited by tS8103; 10-19-2012 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: add pics
tS8103 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh so sweet looking!!!! I want it now weather my Velocity 90 needs it or not? LOL It just looks like it's way better than the stack tail!!!

Last edited by weaselbean; 10-22-2012 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: He added pictures of the tail!!!
weaselbean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The details are on their way and should be available within couple of weeks. The guys at outrage took extra time to double check and make sure everything was great before shipping slowed it down a bit. I was just lucky enough to get 1 of the very few that came and last week
Tone
Team Lynx
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That's good to hear. I got the other v2 tail. I have it all mounted up, but also did a fbl upgrade at the same time that I haven't finished yet, so no flights yet. The cnc machining is a work of art. I can't wait to get the Velocity 90 back in the air.
p00rboi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

pics added
Team Lynx
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

sounds good cant wait to see if this the fix .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in