Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How to add collective pitch to your SL channel

First off this might not be for everyone. But I have had success with it on my 450 helicopter. This could easily be implemented in the firmware, but has not yet for whatever reason.

So what I did was set my sl bank to "always on" This will ensure that the hali bails out in a right side up position. A precursor to this is to ensure you are happy with the way your sl channel is acting. Meaning it pretty much levels the heli (slight drift is normal)

1) program your transmitters momentary switch to be the switch that enables the toggling between the 2 banks
2) Go to your mix screen and mix in some pitch % when this is activated. The way I have it set is I set the sl% to a maximum of 200 that way it reacts fast.

please note that when you are in an inverted position and you activate the bail out, the heli will roll over to a right side up position and add positive pitch at the same time so it will be a simultaneous action.

If/when they can add this to the firmware thy should have it to that no pitch is added until the heli knows its in the right side up position.

Also please note that I have only tried this with a 450 heli. By naturee a 450 due to its smaller disk will have a faster roll response. When trying with largefr helis go up high and if the roll response is not fast enough, consider bumping up the elevator/aileron control rates.

RIP Roman Pirozek Jr. 1/11/94 - 9/5/2013

Last edited by johnjonfenomenon; 12-21-2012 at 09:25 AM..
johnjonfenomenon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is pretty cool! What will the HeliCommand guys bitch about now? LOL!
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The advantage they have is theres is implemented in the firmware meaning it does not add collective until it knows its in its level position. since you are doing this via TX and not the firmware, it will add the pitch simultaneously. Lets say for instance you are inverted. You might notice that the heli comes down first a little before turning over and climbing.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

=] any chance of a vid, please!

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjonfenomenon View Post
The advantage they have is theres is implemented in the firmware meaning it does not add collective until it knows its in its level position. since you are doing this via TX and not the firmware, it will add the pitch simultaneously. Lets say for instance you are inverted. You might notice that the heli comes down first a little before turning over and climbing.
Or, let's say for instance that you've made some hard moves, the resultant vibrations of which, are high enough so as to cause the SK-720 to disable self-levelling. You might notice, if you're inverted, that on flipping the 'self-levelling and pitch' switch, that the heli will come down a little bit, not turn over, and then come down a lot till it hits the ground...
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRPY View Post
This is pretty cool! What will the HeliCommand guys bitch about now? LOL!
I have 3 HC3SX units and believe me, I have nothing to bitch about, they are perfect haha
SMOKEMASTER60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEMASTER60 View Post
I have 3 HC3SX units and believe me, I have nothing to bitch about, they are perfect haha
Haha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho_ View Post
Or, let's say for instance that you've made some hard moves, the resultant vibrations of which, are high enough so as to cause the SK-720 to disable self-levelling. You might notice, if you're inverted, that on flipping the 'self-levelling and pitch' switch, that the heli will come down a little bit, not turn over, and then come down a lot till it hits the ground...
If you have a high end radio its not difficult to add throttle with a delay of lets say a second. You can easily do this on a futaba 10 upwards

Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelGuard View Post
If you have a high end radio its not difficult to add throttle with a delay of lets say a second.
That still won't prevent your heli hitting the ground in the scenario I detailed.

It will take one second more to do so though...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That still won't prevent your heli hitting the ground in the scenario I detailed.

Lets just ignore the poorly intended vibe issue jibe here. Catastrophic failure is being talked about at this level, and may bring any heli down with vibes at this level. This thread should have never had to even hear about something this below the belt.

Personally I feel this is a good contribution myself. Not a da$%ed endorsement for the HCX lovers here who somehow get off on bashing the Skookum...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Lets just ignore the poorly intended vibe issue jibe here. Catastrophic failure is being talked about at this level, and may bring any heli down with vibes at this level. This thread should have never had to even hear about something this below the belt.

Personally I feel this is a good contribution myself. Not a da$%ed endorsement for the HCX lovers here who somehow get off on bashing the Skookum...
No jibe intended from my end, and definitely nothing below the belt...

Dead serious.

In the scenario I described - and in others where self-levelling is disabled in flight by the SK-720 (such as in the recent auto-resets) the heli WILL go straight to ground if it's inverted and the switch flipped with positive pitch being programmed into the mix.

Based on this clear fact I cannot agree with you that this a good contribution.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

=] the real prob here Randy is, if the SK is in inverted SL mode it would self destruct, there is usually plenty of time in a bail out to apply the correct positive pitch, manually.

the gps has all these fancy "get me out of here" functions, we may see some spin-offs to the main unit?

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Groucho has a very important point and this is the drawback and risk you take with a vibe sensitive unit. Remember guys this is a manual hack and not a firmware related solution. If it was firmware related, then atleast we could have it so that if SL is disabled due to high vibes, also disable the auto-climb. I too have 3 HC3-SX's, 3 SK 720's and 1 Ikon. I have done this with the ikon. So of course my next logical move was to experiment with the 720. I will have vids as soon as the weather clears. Mind you I am doing this on my 450 and I have tossed that thing around and my light remains always green throughout any 3d manuver.

Last edited by johnjonfenomenon; 12-21-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The TDR is the only heli with vibes high enough to do what you describe, LOL!

I have one, so I know this first hand. The best solution for the TDR's inherently high vibes is an SK-540.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I have one, so I know this first hand. The best solution for the TDR's inherently high vibes is an SK-540.

For my TDR since I know vibes are going to be high with increased RPM. I use the HC3-sx. My 720 is limited to 550 and below size helis. My Nitro uses a HC3-sx too.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 720s are absolutely flawless on my Trex 600 Pro, Trex 700, and 7HV. And that's with some of the worst collective management to ever grace this hobby, LOL!

IMO, flying a TDR at anything below 2000 RPM is an exercise in sheer boredom. That thing was made to haul ass, and you need high headspeed to get it done. It's a bummer though, because this is a heli that I really would like to have SL bail out. It is so ridiculously easy to lose it at those speeds. Does the HC3-SX's SL work at vibe levels associated with those headspeeds?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes they do..!!!!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjonfenomenon View Post
If it was firmware related, then atleast we could have it so that if SL is disabled due to high vibes, also disable the auto-climb.
Yes, in firmware this would work well as described.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Don't talk to me about TDR vibes Grrrr I still cannot accept that mine goes from insignificantly low vibes to stratospherically high vibes in a space of some 500 main rotor RPMs...

Essentially, yes, you are correct - it will do what I described - I'm very aware of that, and fly with this in mind.

I still use an SK-720 on it though. I have to limit my head-speed to a maximum of 1550 RPMs, and go easy on hard tail-related moves such as pure piros. Especially the blur-piros.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Yeh your right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in