Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #441 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdots View Post
Thanks for that Luke. Look forward to your impressions on and after the build.

And OLP, yes ya do

Once I move out, I am looking for a long term project, this looks a good'n.
OD, I think Luke's suggestion may be a great option. Good support from a seller/parts supplier is so important.
Use our experiences to your best advantage.

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #442 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HK500GT

Question:

The HK 70/80A ESCBEC has all black (3) wires to the motor and the Turnigy H1600KV motor has all black (3) wires to the ESC. I am used to these being color coded; can anyone tell me how to identify which wire connects to which?

I probably wont be able to work on the build until next weekend but any help would be appreciated.

Build Update:

Did a some more of the build late last night; centered the servos, installed Motor/ESC/Head. The Orange RX and Remote seem to work well with DX6i, had to bind two times then all was good; we will see how things play out. Observation: the sliders for the rudder control rod seem too short, bends the rod; anyone else agree?

Couldnt resist I put the canopy and blades on just for a quick look; I like it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HK500GT Build 006.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	280940   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK500GT Build 007.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	280941   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK500GT Build 008.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	280942   Click image for larger version

Name:	HK500GT Build 010.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	280943  
Ironrotor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #443 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's 3 phase, so it doesn't matter. If the motor turns the wrong way, just swap any two wires.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #444 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
It's 3 phase, so it doesn't matter. If the motor turns the wrong way, just swap any two wires.
Luke,
Awesome, I was not sure about it. Thanks for help!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #445 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It stumped me on my first 450 build!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #446 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrotor View Post
Question:

The HK 70/80A ESCBEC has all black (3) wires to the motor and the Turnigy H1600KV motor has all black (3) wires to the ESC. I am used to these being color coded; can anyone tell me how to identify which wire connects to which?

I probably wont be able to work on the build until next weekend but any help would be appreciated.

Build Update:

Did a some more of the build late last night; centered the servos, installed Motor/ESC/Head. The Orange RX and Remote seem to work well with DX6i, had to bind two times then all was good; we will see how things play out. Observation: the sliders for the rudder control rod seem too short, bends the rod; anyone else agree?

Couldnt resist I put the canopy and blades on just for a quick look; I like it!!
It looks nice IR I really like the canopy.

Once you have your motor turning the correct way, you can mark the wires with colored heat shrink so you'll always have them hooked up correctly after unplugging them.

Regarding the tail control rod bending: It's hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like you have the rod connecting to your servo arm on the bottom side. Move it on top, beneath the boom and the rod should be level.
I use a round servo "arm" on mine, but any arm that gives you free movement below the tail boom will work just as well.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #447 (permalink)
Registered Users

i spaced out the sliders till they seemed to hold the rod the right way and let it move freely..then i drilled small holes in them and use pointy screw to fix them to the boom...holds them in place well and gives the rod free movement....they way i did it was look down from the tail to the servo..and make the path as straight as i could with how the servo was rotated orientation wise to the boom...works good for me...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #448 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is hard to see in the pic but the ball is on top of the wheel arm. A larger wheel might help, minor issue at this time. I will work on it soon.

Thanks for input great ideas from everybody.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #449 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironrotor View Post
It is hard to see in the pic but the ball is on top of the wheel arm. A larger wheel might help, minor issue at this time. I will work on it soon.

Thanks for input great ideas from everybody.
IR, I had looked at it again and figured it was.
I think JMD's suggestion is a good one and you may have to swing your tail servo mount a little to get the rod level and as straight as possible down the length of the boom.
As you said though, it's a minor issue.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #450 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldladypilot View Post
IR, I had looked at it again and figured it was.
I think JMD's suggestion is a good one and you may have to swing your tail servo mount a little to get the rod level and as straight as possible down the length of the boom.
As you said though, it's a minor issue.

exactly..swing the mount and play with the servo arm to see what gives you the straightest path possible..then you won't have any binding issues....
Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #451 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Help!

All right guys, I'm about ready to pull my hair out by the roots!
What's up with this thing!
At about 75% throttle, (shouldn't it be lifting off before then?), it starts wagging the tail.

JMD, I'm using your tx settings, I know that has nothing to do with the tail wagging but at what % throttle should I see it begin to lift off? It wouldn't have flown right anyway.....just wondering.

Can anybody give me an idea where to look? I realize it could be the gyro but what? It was in HH mode, delay at 0, limit around halfway.

HK 500 tail wag.mov (1 min 1 sec)

Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #452 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My first thought is too high a gain value on the gyro. Try backing it off by 10, spool it up again, and continue till the wag goes away or you hit 0 gain. If you hit zero, it's not the gain. If it stops wagging, increase the gain till it wags, then back off a couple percent.

As far as hover goes, make sure your pitch curve is linear above half stick from 50 percent to 100 percent throttle. Then, check that your pitch is linear above half stick from 0 degrees to 10 or 12 degrees. This will have you in a hover just over half stick.

Try these and let us know. Another video would be great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Building aerial video platforms for hire!! Consulting and custom builds available.
carguy4471 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #453 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1

I am now flying a linear pitch curve with 0° at centre stick(after much harassment from the instructor at my club), so I am hovering around 3/4 stick. It all depends on how you have it set.

Have you measured how much pitch you are getting from maximum and minimum collective?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #454 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
+1

I am now flying a linear pitch curve with 0° at centre stick(after much harassment from the instructor at my club), so I am hovering around 3/4 stick. It all depends on how you have it set.

Have you measured how much pitch you are getting from maximum and minimum collective?
8% max
3% min
Old 01-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #455 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
All right guys, I'm about ready to pull my hair out by the roots!
What's up with this thing!
At about 75% throttle, (shouldn't it be lifting off before then?), it starts wagging the tail.

JMD, I'm using your tx settings, I know that has nothing to do with the tail wagging but at what % throttle should I see it begin to lift off? It wouldn't have flown right anyway.....just wondering.

Can anybody give me an idea where to look? I realize it could be the gyro but what? It was in HH mode, delay at 0, limit around halfway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf2YW...ature=youtu.be
We could be right back at the low head speed thing again! The speed of your tail is directly related to headspeed; low headspeed = low tail speed. If the tail isn't going fast enough, it won't have enough authority, so the gyro will start working to correct, won't get anywhere as the tailspeed is too low, so it over corrects and wagging kicks in. It is effectively mechanical gain that you are adding, just like if the ball link on the tail servo is too far out.

Really, CP helis need high headspeed. The only real variation in throttle should be to counter the increased drag from putting pitch on the blades, which then keeps headspeed constant
Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #456 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
8% max
3% min
??

You should have some negative pitch on there, even on a normal curve! If I understand those values, you only have a pitch change range of 5 degs (3 dges to 8 degs)! 3 degs as a minimum is pretty near flying pitch!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #457 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
We could be right back at the low head speed thing again! The speed of your tail is directly related to headspeed; low headspeed = low tail speed. If the tail isn't going fast enough, it won't have enough authority, so the gyro will start working to correct, won't get anywhere as the tailspeed is too low, so it over corrects and wagging kicks in. It is effectively mechanical gain that you are adding, just like if the ball link on the tail servo is too far out.

Really, CP helis need high headspeed. The only real variation in throttle should be to counter the increased drag from putting pitch on the blades, which then keeps headspeed constant
So I need to change my throttle curve?

Quote:
??

You should have some negative pitch on there, even on a normal curve! If I understand those values, you only have a pitch change range of 5 degs (3 dges to 8 degs)! 3 degs as a minimum is pretty near flying pitch!
I'm watching Bob's head set up video again right now. I have +60 for pitch in my swash mix...why am I getting so little pitch then?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #458 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you have to do the measurements in a flight mode where the pitch curve is linear 0 - 100%
if you are doing it where you have already altered your pitch curve you will get messed up results.

Ideally you want the head set up to give 12+ and 12-
then you can limit how much of that you use through your pitch curve if you want. so if you only want 9+ and 3- then you would set your curve to 37.5 - 44 - 50 - 69 - 87.5
Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #459 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steemo View Post
you have to do the measurements in a flight mode where the pitch curve is linear 0 - 100%
if you are doing it where you have already altered your pitch curve you will get messed up results.

Ideally you want the head set up to give 12+ and 12-
then you can limit how much of that you use through your pitch curve if you want. so if you only want 9+ and 3- then you would set your curve to 37.5 - 44 - 50 - 69 - 87.5
I have my throttle and pitch curves set linear. 0 to 100. Bob's video shows setting all the links with the collective at 50%, so that's what I'm working on right now.

I'll try adjusting the gain as carguy suggested and see what Luke says about the throttle curve.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #460 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yep, constant head speed is the goal with CP helis. don't matter if you are hovering, doin slow circuits, FFF, Sport aerobatics, mild 3d or rip your face off stick banging 3d.

If your motor has enough torque you can run a flat throttle curve and it won't bother the head speed too much under high pitch load.

Try running your normal pitch curve with a steep incline to the head speed you want from low stick to your 0 pitch point then flatten it out. here's an example with linear pitch curve and a throttle curve going from 0 - 75% then flattening out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc tc 0100 75thr.png
Views:	117
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	282393  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in