Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Co-Pilot II & B450

Just shoe-horned my new Co-Pilot II into my B450. Times like this I wish I had tiny fingers to route those wires! When will they make this stuff wireless? Ha.
Followed https://www.helifreak.com/2063533-post.html along with the info from the reference manual from FMA and it went well. Now for its first flight! Actually I am pretty nervous about taking 'er out for a spin.
Do I need to concern myself with the 'Preference' settings? Not sure I understand all the settings, so I don't want to mess around and botch it up.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Start off with the CPII off and auto trim set to 0

Get up into a hover at an open field, Then switch on the CPII and watch for drift....
If it does it can be corrected using flight angles.

As to the default settings, they are a good starting point..
If your bird shows signs of shaking you will lower the gain on the channel that is oscillating a few clicks at a time till it stops.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Roger...
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nightflyr,

Re-did the firmware back to 2.04 from 2.43.
I have a B450 3D, Dx6i. Do I use FM/PPM or 2.4 GHz or PCM?
I adjusted the 'gyro output CH 4' to +34% on the CPII controller, correct?
I don't adjust the gyro on the Tx, correct?
Not sure what the 'Set angle flight modes' mean??
I left the settings - Tail=30, Pitch=70, Roll=50, and adjusted the stick to 85%.
Auto trim was left at 0.
How am I doing so far???
Thanks.....
Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

]Nightflyr,

Re-did the firmware back to 2.04 from 2.43.
I have a B450 3D, Dx6i. Do I use FM/PPM or 2.4 GHz or PCM?
I adjusted the 'gyro output CH 4' to +34% on the CPII controller, correct? Gain setting is set to what works on your machine. You will need to test your setting during flight
I don't adjust the gyro on the Tx, correct? Correct
Not sure what the 'Set angle flight modes' mean??If your heli drifts, it means the main sensor is not level ..... Flight angles correct the sensor to level electronically
I left the settings - Tail=30, Pitch=70, Roll=50, and adjusted the stick to 85%.
Auto trim was left at 0.
How am I doing so far??? Sounds good
Thanks.....

Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks. There is a nice snowstorm happening today (welcome Spring!!) so any flights will be delayed.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any update? How did it go?

Nightflyr spent a lot of time helping me on this forum, but I'm about to scrap my copilot project due to user errors.

I guess I'm just hoping your success will inspire me. Good luck!!
CompleteDestruction is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Howdy. Nightflyr has assisted me also. Just lately I re-installed CPII and have been using it to great success. I had the on/off switch backwards so I thought I was doing quite well hovering in some wind, when in fact I had CPII on, and for take-offs, etc. Even though I was warned not to take off with it on, it seems to be working okay. I am heading out tomorrow early to double check the settings. Been going through the batt packs (7 per flying day) and no crashes. Now that is just hovering around a nice grassy park. Getting brave with the low altitude figure eights (or a reasonable facsimile) Looks more like sliding left and right and turning the nose into the turn!
The CPII is working as I have hovered it up about 20ft and cranked it hard left and right Aileron and it rights itself pretty quick. I just need more practise and a bit more courage to keep pushing myself. I'll see if I can get a pic of it at the field tomorrow. I really am getting tired of crashing the heli. But it gets up behind me, orientation goes out the window, and down she comes!!
Best of luck to you!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteDestruction View Post
Any update? How did it go?

Nightflyr spent a lot of time helping me on this forum, but I'm about to scrap my copilot project due to user errors.

I guess I'm just hoping your success will inspire me. Good luck!!
What seems to be the trouble?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
What seems to be the trouble?
It want to fly back and left. When I turn off copilot to check my trims on the heli, it does not turn off. I am not using auto trims, and the switch is setup right??

I will start over on the programing (again) and see if I can get it to work better.
CompleteDestruction is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteDestruction View Post
It want to fly back and left. When I turn off copilot to check my trims on the heli, it does not turn off. I am not using auto trims, and the switch is setup right??

I will start over on the programing (again) and see if I can get it to work better.
First off....
Set auto trim to 0

Check and ensure your On/Off switch setup is functioning according to the quick setup.

Next to correct your drifting go to flight angles and adjust them to correct for your specific drift.
If it is drifting backwards you will need to add NEG ( - ) pitch in the flight angles.
As to the left roll.. I don't remember the setting but you can adjust it, if it gets worse adjust it in the opposite direction.

Just do one direction at a time ( backwards or left ) and only a couple of clicks at a time until the drifting stops.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here she is! With CPII in the USA! No passport, sorry..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	503826  
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Here she is! With CPII in the USA! No passport, sorry..
Nice clean install!!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very clean install, much better than my packed 450!

How's the flying sofar? Just flew 15 packs today no stop with my 450, co-pi makes flying much more fun for me
apper001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know the CPII has moved me along a lot further than if I never had one. I have been in trouble a few times, (funny position in the air, non-flyable to be exact!) and I just let go of the right stick and it levels out. When I do try something (apparently not correct) I let go of the right stick, raise the collective, hover, (wiggle my aileron) get my orientation, then bring it back where I can control it, and start my circuit again. I know you have to maintain pressure on the right stick, whether aileron or elevator, but it is working for me. When forward motion seems to have stopped, I realize that I have released the stick. No worries, I just ease the stick forward until I get forward motion again. Same with left and right action. Now I am not afraid to get the heli up in the air about 15 or 20 feet, still a bit spooky, but getting more comfy and not panicking quite so much. I still get shortness of breath and sweaty palms when doing something a little different etc., but I am really getting to enjoy buzzing around without crashing. I have the trims all set, and turn the CPII on for take off, flying, and landing now. I still do the first battery without CPII, but all the others with it on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in