Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Should I move to a Castle Phoenix Edge Lite? (50A)

I have had a time with the stock ESC(s) on the Align 450L 11.1V setup. The first one caused the motor to choke in flight and had the heli going down quickly. I assume the heli went down so quick because the motor came to a stop thereby having the one-way bearing doing all the traveling (higher resistance).

Ultimately I fired that ESC and the motor after this happened for the third time and I didn't hit my throttle hold switch after impact.

I bought another motor and the same ESC because I wasn't sure which to get. It went well for a while and then the same dang thing happened again. Luckily I hit throttle hold this time.

I then tried a HobbyWing Platinum V3 50A and it hated the dominator 3200KV motor, so I got mad and risky minded enough to put the old ESC back on.

It's been about 20 flights since. No problems in the least. I've began to wonder if it had something to do with doing 3GX changes and 3GX throttle calibrations without reprogramming the ESC. Looking back, it seems there was this pattern, and now with about 20 flights having reprogrammed the ESC, I'm slightly more confident. Doesn't really make sense however.

So I'm still leaning towards replacing it. Would a Castle ESC like this be a good idea for replacement, and how much of an "upgrade" would it be?

I also wonder about temperatures with this ESC not really having a heat sink. Would it be able to handle the higher temps of the 3S setup over the 6S? I figure the Dominator 3S setup is a bit more demanding than your average 450 3S... Perhaps I should continue to play it out with the stock ESC?

Thanks for reading and any feedback.
Sefrez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my honest opinnion, I think that 50A is ok for a standard 450 3S configuration... but if we are talking about a 450L running 3S... I thing that 50A may be insufficient. Specially, if we take into account that we are talking about "lite" version of the ESC. Castle states that "lite" version of their ESC's is suitable when maximum power requirements are much less than maximum peak current given by device (see note (*) in http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...edge-lite.html).

Regards,

Jose A.
Goblin 500
joanpeca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in