Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Rotor Blades

Rotor Blades R/C Helicopter Rotor Blade Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What weight difference is too much?

Hey all, I have been rebuilding a secondhand Trex Sport (nice little heli).I have it now just ready for test flight trials so I went out and bought a nice set of Align CF Pro 325 mm rotor blades. http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...dfbf34c976fe16. When I put them on my Quadbeam balance scales one blade weighed in at 32.85 gms and the other is 32.25gms thats only .60 grams difference but is it too much? I have some elec tape on it as it was to much for the balance tape. Looks ugly with that much tape but the LHS I picked them up at won't take them back . I have balanced them but how much is too much tape? Any input would be appreciated.
TRex 600 EFL Pro Custom CF 450 Heli with Hughs 500E Scale Fuselage, Align Trex 450 Sport ,KDS 450SV, 200mm ZMR Quadcopter, MCPx V2 all aluminum head, MSR Alum swash & grips, Hubsan X4,Blade 120 & CX2 (for my Grandson) all on Spektrum DX8 TX
KDS Wes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like to balance my blades on a teeter totter style balancer to set them more accurately. Doesn't take much to upset a small heli spinning the rotor fast. Try them and see. Spool up. If the tail fin is oscillating, I'd try to correct them.

If you don't have such a balancer, you can put a bolt through the root holes and tighten them as straight as possble, Rest the bolt on the edges of a pair of pop cans.

Biggest deal is if the center of gravity is different. Eacb blade should balance on a hobby knife handle on its own at the same distance from the tip.

You may already know all of this. For reference, my Mavrikk G5 Pro Wide Chord flybarless blades weigh within 0.1g of each other. No tape. I don't like more than two pieces of tape wrapped around the blade. I think my Compass 615's took one complete wrap of tape, and one more partial length...covering maybe 1/2 wrap.

Best wishes,
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

check this out http://www.rchelisite.com/rc_helicop..._balancing.php

i love the mavrikk g-5 pro wide chord blades. i use them where i can. i like the extra lift. flying fbl, without fbl blades the reguler g-5's get it done. they offer fbl blades, for me my heli's fly so good. why change
nothinbetr2do is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Rob, I do have and use a teeter balancer as well as the scales. I just wanted some info to gauge the variance. Sort of a go, no go scale. I will be checking the COG on these prior to the first flight. Both of you are using the Mavrikk G5 Pro Wide Chord blades. I see them available at http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=877437 anybody use these guys and are they reliable for Canadian shipping?
TRex 600 EFL Pro Custom CF 450 Heli with Hughs 500E Scale Fuselage, Align Trex 450 Sport ,KDS 450SV, 200mm ZMR Quadcopter, MCPx V2 all aluminum head, MSR Alum swash & grips, Hubsan X4,Blade 120 & CX2 (for my Grandson) all on Spektrum DX8 TX
KDS Wes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in