Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm still at stock on the timing and it's insane. I think once I get used to it then I will change the timing to 22.5 but at the moment I can't imagine this being any more powerful.

It can catch you out quick enough now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Only downside to doing timing for full power is it gets your motor really hot (or at least in my case it does). I temp'd it out after a flight and it was at like 145f, but that was after a short delay. I plan on bringing the gun with me next time so I can have a better reading as soon as I land. Also, as I wait for my packs to get broken in, I hope to get more power out of them. As of now, I have one Hyperion 35C 2600 and it doesn't feel any better than my two 3S, 2200 Turnigy 30C's, so I'm a little disappointed to say the least. I do wish I'd gotten the 2950's but only found out about that size after I'd already gotten the 2600.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
Only downside to doing timing for full power is it gets your motor really hot (or at least in my case it does). I temp'd it out after a flight and it was at like 145f, but that was after a short delay. I plan on bringing the gun with me next time so I can have a better reading as soon as I land. Also, as I wait for my packs to get broken in, I hope to get more power out of them. As of now, I have one Hyperion 35C 2600 and it doesn't feel any better than my two 3S, 2200 Turnigy 30C's, so I'm a little disappointed to say the least. I do wish I'd gotten the 2950's but only found out about that size after I'd already gotten the 2600.
On my Atom 500 I'm running the Outrage NRG 3000 packs and with 22.5 timing and 10 tooth pinion the pack are just warm and the motor is barley above ambient temp. and that's after a 5min. flight. Are you using the gov. mode? I thinks that makes a difference too.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRFST View Post
On my Atom 500 I'm running the Outrage NRG 3000 packs and with 22.5 timing and 10 tooth pinion the pack are just warm and the motor is barley above ambient temp. and that's after a 5min. flight. Are you using the gov. mode? I thinks that makes a difference too.
Is that with stock ESC or Castle?
Jimmy! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiracerj View Post
Is that with stock ESC or Castle?
Stock 60amp Platinum Hobbywing.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm surprised you get such a long flight on 10T.
Jimmy! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiracerj View Post
I'm surprised you get such a long flight on 10T.
Well I'm not a 3D flyer more of a hard sport flyer with some weak attempts at 3D. I normally put 2400 to 2700 back into the packs and if I go over 5min. it's higher but I try to stay around 80% discharge. I did have some Hyperian's 25C 26?? Amh packs but when I went to 10 tooth they puffed.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe it's just the nasty heat where I live then? I haven't had much of a chance to really get out and fly the Atom because I've had nothing but problems with my electronics since last year. I finally tracked most of it down to a faulty motor of all things! (who'da thunk it, right???). Anyways, I'm going to try and have a sit-down with Bob at the Miramar event and see if I can't get the last bits of it hammered out. If I get it ripping again, the Pro goes on the chopping block to make room for the upcoming 6HV! (just have to sneak it past the wifey )
Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Its 110F out.. I fly for 3:30-4:00 min with the stock motor, stock esc on 22.2 timing, 11T pinion, 100% throttle curve and 45C packs.. Motor is about 200+F after a flight
Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bet it is hotter inside the motor than 200 F during the last seconds of flight. Mine was measured 190 F thru a vent at the top, but it had a minute to cool down, so I'd say it was over 200 F at some point. I only use the 10T pinion and ambient was 85* F.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 6HV gets hot, but my Atom 500 doesn't see that kind of heat. Maybe when I stretch it?

Last edited by Cullen Colapietro; 07-03-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Atom stays cool (approximately ambient temperature).

The motor in my 6HV runs a bit warmer, but definitely not hot (I have not measured the temperature).

My timing is still at 12.5 degrees, at the moment (not sure what I would do with even more power).
Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

200f sounds waaaay too high to me. Not as in I don't believe you, but no es bueno on the motor man! My Atom was temping at 135 a couple minutes after the flight (was too slow on grabbing the gun again doggone it!). I lowered my timing down to the stock setting of 15 degrees, but that only seemed to bring it down a little bit. I also got a lot more flight time, so that seemed pretty promising. I still have to tweak things out on it, but 160 is the highest you should probably let your motor get.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

280 is critical.. I wouldn't let it get over 290F
Old 07-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahh hell I thought mine was running warm but it's 155F (inside the motor) right after a 6 minute flight on a 75F day.

It still looks to me like the motor could use a cooling fan arrangement on the bell.
hornet dave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet dave View Post
Ahh hell I thought mine was running warm but it's 155F (inside the motor) right after a 6 minute flight on a 75F day.
Dave,

What timing are you running? Pinion? Throttle settings?

Thanks,

Cullen
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's at 2000 headspeed, 10 tooth pinion, gov mode on the ICE HV. Timing is medium, I believe.

I tried 8khz and outrunner mode for the pwm settings, both seemed the same in flight and temps were the same. 16khz didnt work out well...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking of trying 15 degree timing as some are having success there and gaining flight time. If I can squeeze 6 minute flights out of my 6HV with decent power, I'll be one happy man. Right now the beep @ 4.30 is just bumming me out, although I could do 5.5 minutes, no problem as I'm only putting back 1500mAh.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using the hyperion 2950's, so my batteries are about 45 seconds bigger than most. 6 minutes and I have to put 2100 - 2200 back into the packs; I did 6:30 once and I put 2500 back in, a little too much. All this at 2000 rpm.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

90 F at the field today. Motor windings were ~185 F after flight.

Compass - how about a fan for these motors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in