Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wicked Tail (?) Vibration Sk-720 Trex 600 DFC

Good Evening,

I am getting a wicked tail vibration in my trex 600 DFC. It is hard to tell if it is up or down or side to side but I can hear it at speed. The vibration analyzer shows it off the charts. There seems to be something right around 200 Hz and 400 Hz. Is this the tail and the torque tube? Log 24 is with tail blades on, Log 27 is without. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Tail blades balanced, grips seem fine.

Thanks. I know folks don't have a lot of time to be looking at vibration logs-- I guess I have been lucky not to have many bad vibes for the 4-5 years I have been in the hobby.
Attached Files
File Type: skv LOG24.SKV (343.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: skv LOG27.SKV (389.5 KB, 44 views)
jamisonchang is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

are you using the gov.?
mrultralite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No. Mostly flat throttle curve. Thanks
Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonchang View Post
Good Evening,

I am getting a wicked tail vibration in my trex 600 DFC. It is hard to tell if it is up or down or side to side but I can hear it at speed. The vibration analyzer shows it off the charts. There seems to be something right around 200 Hz and 400 Hz. Is this the tail and the torque tube? Log 24 is with tail blades on, Log 27 is without. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Tail blades balanced, grips seem fine.

Thanks. I know folks don't have a lot of time to be looking at vibration logs-- I guess I have been lucky not to have many bad vibes for the 4-5 years I have been in the hobby.
That is a wicked tail vibe! Classic fore/aft and up/down pattern, so its classic unbalance situation. Further proof is that it goes completely away when you remove the tail blades.

Either ditch those blades and try for some others, or you can spend some time doing a full static and dynamic balance on them, and even do a balance of the entire hub with blades attached while off the heli. Also, where is your FBL unit mounted? The spot right on top of the tail gear box at the frame will pick up a lot of vibes. I always had much better luck on my Align helis mounted down inside the frame on the lower skid mount.

The other vibe is your motor. Pretty much all side to side indicating a slightly out of balance can, but focus on the getting the tail sorted first, and then we can recheck and go from there on the other parts if needed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOG24.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	576857  
Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate your time.

I tried two different sets of plastic blades and the same thing. The gyro is mounted on the front mounting area by the motor. Should I use CF tail blades? I'll take the hub off first and try to balance it. Many,many thanks
Old 03-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wow, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate your time.

I tried two different sets of plastic blades and the same thing. The gyro is mounted on the front mounting area by the motor. Should I use CF tail blades? I'll take the hub off first and try to balance it. Many,many thanks
Hard to say on the blade material......plastic can sometimes flex and vibe more than CF, yet the plastic blades were better on my 500 than CF.

It comes down to weight, and the lighter blades will vibe less. Large heli plastic blades can be very heavy compared to CF, and can vibe more. I had a set of plastic 700 size KBDD blades that were heavy and had high vibes
Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hmmm

I believe the tail rotor hub was mostly balanced when I put it on the Dubro. Still vibrating like mad.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_2250.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	576949  
Old 03-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I believe the tail rotor hub was mostly balanced when I put it on the Dubro. Still vibrating like mad.

Any thoughts?
Do you have any other blades to try? No slop in the grips or anything?

Make sure the CG of the blades is also good, and not just a static balance. Static will balance fine using the teeter test, but different CGs can vibrate like crazy dynamically once spun up. Weigh each blade on a gram scale and make sure they are not way off from each other

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/wiki/...lance_the_Tail
Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Are your blades on backwards or have you modified your tail rotor to be trailing edge controlled?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Thanks X-rayted.

No, I just had the grips on my apparatus and threw the blades back on incorrectly -- they are still leading edge control on the machine.

Appreciate all the help
Old 03-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Different Tail grips

Found some old plastic tail grips from my 600 N and swapped out for the metal ones that I used in the previous tests.

Tail vibration a lot better, right?

Still very pronounced vibration at 400Hz-- motor or torque tube?

Feedback appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: skv LOG8.SKV (127.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: skv LOG9.SKV (165.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Found some old plastic tail grips from my 600 N and swapped out for the metal ones that I used in the previous tests.

Tail vibration a lot better, right?

Still very pronounced vibration at 400Hz-- motor or torque tube?

Feedback appreciated.
Much better, so its the blades just as we suspected!

That is your motor with an out of balance can. There are several vids around showing how to balance the can on your own using tape or similar, and member A VIKING balanced his using dots of epoxy on the outer can. Let me guess.......this is an Align motor We see out of balance issue a lot with them for some reason.

Just do a search on balancing brushless motors if you want to tackle it on your own, or you can choose to fly the heli as is and see what your overall vibe score will be. Its not going to be all that bad really, even with that motor spike.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Xrayted, thanks again!!

I actually changed the grips out and kept the same blades-- so, instead of the metal align grips that I had this morning ( with the high vibes), I had an old set of plastic tail grips from by 600N. So, this leads to me believe that the align metal grips are the problem? I really don't see much play in the metal grips so I am not sure what is going on...

I was going to buy a new set of tail grips (metal).

Thanks for the tips on the motor... yep, Align 600 MX. Probably will put a KDE motor in now.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Xrayted, thanks again!!

I actually changed the grips out and kept the same blades-- so, instead of the metal align grips that I had this morning ( with the high vibes), I had an old set of plastic tail grips from by 600N. So, this leads to me believe that the align metal grips are the problem? I really don't see much play in the metal grips so I am not sure what is going on...

I was going to buy a new set of tail grips (metal).

Thanks for the tips on the motor... yep, Align 600 MX. Probably will put a KDE motor in now.
Very interesting.....at least its solved one way or the other. I would have expected to see a vibe spike on the no blades run you already posted originally if the grips were the culprit, but I've learned that anything is possible.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again Xrayted. Yea, that makes sense about the vibe spike.
If you have any other thoughts about what might be going on, feel free to share but I won't keep harassing you : )
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries at all
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

...and yes I did balance my motor can with small dots of epoxy. That was a year ago and I am proud to report the epoxy is still holding on after hundreds of flights...although a little dizzy turning at nearly 20,000 RPM.
It was interesting in that during my recent first bearing change on the Quantum, the epoxy drops that I placed on the exterior of the can were in the exact same location as the putty installed on the inside of the can by the factory for balance, they just came up short by just that little bit.
See the photo: I didn't know if the epoxy would stick for very long on the painted surface of the Quantum so I sanded the paint off for one epoxy dot as an experiment. Didn't matter, the epoxy stuck equally as good on the paint as it did on the bare metal.

Vibes are still low.
I won't go through how it was done but if anyone would like to know how I did it, post a note and I will elaborate.
I don't know if this process would work good on the ribbed cans as I don't own any of those.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5893.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	577255  
Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks A Viking. You are much better man than me--- I have a KDE motor waiting to be put in my 600
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks A Viking. You are much better man than me--- I have a KDE motor waiting to be put in my 600
...not a function of being better than, just a function of sharing ideas and discoveries. I bet you know plenty that I haven't even thought about with these ships.
I believe you'll enjoy the KDE. I have heard no bad comments only good from those who have them.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fair enough. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am interested in how you did this-- if you have it written down, please pm me. Happy flying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in