Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helijive

I bought a heli jive and watched the videos on kontronic and vbar gov so I installed it yesterday when it showed up .I programmed mode 8 and set it up with the vbar gov I was really excited as this is my first kontronic. The 700e that i installed it on was working perfectly with the castle.so i ran it on the bench and it was working great all the sudden the motor just stopped an xera 4035 480kv and my servos were unresponsive bls 253s no smoke or anything I disconnected everything and the esc is dead and my servos are junk too the vbar seems fine i tested with my other vbarred 700e so i sent it back to ready heli today and i have another being delivered monday for the other bird but now im a little gunshy there was no installation errors and all the setup info i got from mr mel on RR I hope Kontronic will step up and pay for the damage to my servos but i doubt they will Its been a terrable experience.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the LED blinking? If so, how many times? It should give you an error code. I'm curious since I'm about to purchase one.

Luis
Luisito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

There is no led on the heli jive.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

damn that is f**ed up

anyway, the helijive has a clear case, is'nt there any led on the inside ?
www.rs-modelstore.be follow us on facebook !
flybar-les is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jive has a led underneath the plastic in one of the corner.
Only time ive seen a kontronik bec fail has been when there has been a failed servo or cable and it created a dead short, but on my helijive i actually managed to short the becand it just shutdown, nothing more, worked after startup again.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The heli jive dosent have a led that i could find . im going to send out my servos to futaba to be fixed hopefully and install the helijive in my other 700 after i hear of a success story from someone else as bad as it is I still want this esc if it performs as advertised Everyone who owns kontronics loves it. I just got a bad one! I cant find anything wrong with the install the vbar seems fine but i sent it readyheli with the ESC just to be cked out.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it does have an LED. Just not obvious unless you see it flashing or read the manual. If you power it up it may be flashing an error code. See the manual or check this link: http://www.kontronik.com/index.php?o...mid=32&lang=en

You'll see a screen shot of the ESC up close with the letters LED. The manual explains what the LED blinks mean under section 8.1.

Luis
Luisito is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I didnt see the comment on the LED mr mel made that makes sense thats why it didnt see it. No success storys yet I have afriend in Maryland who is installing 2 today for friends hopefully it will go off without a hitch. I wont install my other one until I hear good news.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had a V6 jive 120HV do the same, vbar survived, but servos dead (brand new) futaba replaced them (thank you) and the jive was replaced by KT
helicraze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it happened again to jheli It did the exact same thingb on spoolup it just stopped and his servos are fried. BEWARE
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are you guys contacting Kontronik?

Based on this I may send my two units back and I guess just get PowerJive's.
bkervaski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have kontacted kontronic I havent had a reply yet I will post there reply, in the mean time I have to buy new servos and send the damaged ones to futaba who I called and they said warrenty dosent cover this issue. I bought 2 helijives and they are being returned I dont dare hookup the other one.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone had a failure using the "tried and true" Mode 4 and not using the VBar as the governor? Of course one could ask what's the sense of buying a Heli Jive if you're just going to use Mode 4 (or Mode 11, which looks to be HeliJive Mode5)? I'm starting to regret purchasing mine so soon after its release. Bunch of money just sitting on the table.
Mike B.

Last edited by jmb2232; 07-29-2011 at 06:50 PM..
jmb2232 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I belive RH is in contact with Kontronic and we will find out the scoop soon. I was thinking of trying the reg gov too but im just going to wait to see what happens no matter what there both great companies im sure it will be straightened out.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
I belive RH is in contact with Kontronic and we will find out the scoop soon. I was thinking of trying the reg gov too but im just going to wait to see what happens no matter what there both great companies im sure it will be straightened out.

My broken one is on it's way to Kontronic now (Not sure what I will be doing about the servos)

RH doesn't have any in stock so it's got to go all the way back to Germany (Only really bad thing about Kontronic)
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, guys, but from the electronic point of view I cannot see a context between dying of the final stages of an ESC (if died ever and however) and that of a built-in BEC. Especially because there are TWO FETs behind the BEC. If the switching FET of one of the BEC circuits in the JIVE should die (never heard of that) in a manner passing now the raw voltage to the output - there is another FET behind (controlled by the monitoring processor) which will avoid a raw voltage passing.

So I cannot see why the servos should have died by a screwed up BEC.

What I could imagine is a burned FET in one of the final ESC stages because of a bad commutation failure. The tricky thing between the JIVE and the governor function of V-Bar is the time and the way throttle control passes over. The ESC HAS to do the initial spoolup (no chance by an external throttle ramp) and the governor takes over after that - and hopefully at a point of its ramp at which the trottle value doesn't cause a big jump - and that with a hot motor, low inductance etc...

But anyway I do not see a context with the BEC output voltage.
Guess that happened due to a kind of wrong cabling or something like that.

Tom

Last edited by dl7uae; 07-27-2011 at 04:13 AM..
dl7uae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post
Sorry, guys, but from the electronic point of view I cannot see a context between dying of the final stages of an ESC (if died ever and however) and that of a built-in BEC. Especially because there are TWO FETs behind the BEC. If the switching FET of one of the BEC circuits in the JIVE should die (never heard of that) in a manner passing now the raw voltage to the output - there is another FET behind (controlled by the monitoring processor) which will avoid a raw voltage passing.

So I cannot see why the servos should have died by a spooled up BEC.

What I could imagine is a burned FET in one of the final ESC stages because of a bad commutation failure. The tricky thing between the JIVE and the governor function of V-Bar is the time and the way throttle control passes over. The ESC HAS to do the initial spoolup (no chance by an external throttle ramp) and the governor takes over after that - and hopefully at a point of its ramp at which the trottle value doesn't cause a big jump - and that with a hot motor, low inductance etc...

But anyway I do not see a context with the BEC output voltage.

Tom
Understood. Can someone report that thier HeliJive is working in Mode 9?

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post

Tom
Can you explain what you mean by this?
jhheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

It would be interesting to see what the V-Bar log file says…
I have witnessed a similar scenario with a Jive 80 HV, Mini V-Bar, and 8717’s. In that case as well the ESC went dead, motor stopped during spool up, the servos were dead, but the V-Bar unit seemed to have survived.

Below is the V-Bar log file for this event.

This did not happen to my heli, so I cannot offer any more input. To the best of my knowledge ReadyHeli is taking good care of the person in question and is a great company to deal with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FailedVbarLog.pdf (384.1 KB, 157 views)
eeeyal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by this?
Can you explain your electric setup at first, please?
Which cable ran to where?
Who supplied the R/C voltage? Guess, the JIVE's BEC was it. But was there another voltage supply in parallel, another regulator, buffer pack, Green Caps etc?
What was the BEC output voltage set up? Did you use the Master AND the Slave connector? To where Master/Slave had been connected to?

Etc pp... You know what I mean.

How about the current BEC output voltage? Zero? No LED flashing on power-up?

@eeeyal: I do not find this log very helpful here.. What is the relevant section?

Tom

Last edited by dl7uae; 07-27-2011 at 05:21 AM..
dl7uae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in