Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question 500 clone needing Throttle and pitch curve settings for dx6i

I have just built my first 5oo clone, pretty decent kit, i'm running a 1700KV motor and a 60 amp esc. I need some fairly tame numbers to put in my tx so i can program my esc, i am a newbie to this size heli and any suggestions and feed back would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I'm also using FM for stabilization, i have GP790 for my tail. Please advise.
bangwings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'll probably get various replies on settings. Today was my first flight with my Trex500 and these are the settings I have at the moment.

Throttle:

Normal - > 0 - 59 - 85 - 95 - 100

Stunt - > 100 - 90 - 83 - 92 - 100

Pitch:

Normal - > 43 - 53 - 70.5 - 85 - 100

Stunt - > 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To program the ESC just keep the curves linear (0 25 50 75 100). To actually set them up for flight have you watched the Finless throttle and pitch curve video as well as the CCPM set up?? You'll want to understand the reasoning behind the numbers rather than just plugging in what we tell you. Especially for the pitch curve, what someone else runs as their curve will not be the same pitch on your bird.

Here are the vids:

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...=curves101.wmv

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...CPM_Part_1.wmv

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...CPM_Part_2.wmv

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

NSFlyer,

If you plan on flying in stunt mode at some point you might consider changing your normal pitch curve. Right now you hover point is at mid stick, however when flying in stunt your hover point will be higher than this because your pitch curves aren't the same. Also, if you were to switch from normal to stunt while in the air you'll have a sudden loss of altitude or a sudden gain if you go from stunt to normal. It's better to learn with the curves matching from mid stick on so that you won't have to relearn at some point down the road. Take my word for it, I know.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
NSFlyer,

If you plan on flying in stunt mode at some point you might consider changing your normal pitch curve. Right now you hover point is at mid stick, however when flying in stunt your hover point will be higher than this because your pitch curves aren't the same. Also, if you were to switch from normal to stunt while in the air you'll have a sudden loss of altitude or a sudden gain if you go from stunt to normal. It's better to learn with the curves matching from mid stick on so that you won't have to relearn at some point down the road. Take my word for it, I know.
Thanks I will look into that. Should I lower the low point on normal or raise low point on stunt?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your esc has a soft start:

Throttle

Normal: 0-70-70-70-70
Idle up: 100-100-100-100-100

Pitch

Normal: 40-45-50-75-100
Idle up: 0-25-50-75-100
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFlyer12 View Post
Thanks I will look into that. Should I lower the low point on normal or raise low point on stunt?
Well, it depends, and really it's personal preference. If you're thinking about getting into 3D or even sport flying than you should probably lower the midpoint on the normal curve to 50, so that you have 0 pitch at mid stick. This way you have an even curve both negative and positive. Scale fliers will often set it up as you have it with the hover point at mid stick because they don't need a full 11 or 12 degrees of negative pitch. This also helps to smooth out the collective. Again it's personal preference, but if you are going the inverted or 3D route then you'll eventually end up having to relearn. I speak from experience.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
Well, it depends, and really it's personal preference. If you're thinking about getting into 3D or even sport flying than you should probably lower the midpoint on the normal curve to 50, so that you have 0 pitch at mid stick. This way you have an even curve both negative and positive. Scale fliers will often set it up as you have it with the hover point at mid stick because they don't need a full 11 or 12 degrees of negative pitch. This also helps to smooth out the collective. Again it's personal preference, but if you are going the inverted or 3D route then you'll eventually end up having to relearn. I speak from experience.
Thanks I do plan on someday attempting some 3D so I will look at changing the midpoint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in