Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #41 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Yep...a couple of downward clicks on the throttle trim should help that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think the throttle trim clicks would end up effecting the pitch too wouldn't it?

I got it figured out regardless. Somehow the end points on the ESC got adjusted to about 15-20% at zero throttle with all my on and off with the battery while zeroing the swash mechanically.

MAN is that scary plugging in the battery with throttle stick all the way up! I had some major ring pucker. But that's how it gets programmed I guess.
fiveflat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
HF MR Support

....Non issue when you remove the blades, but look out for that FLYBAR!
Should not affect pitch....Flew one Batt(3s-2200) in my dead cat quad when I got home
HADTO FLY! ...been a rough week with a sick dog and he is better now...Whew!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just dropped the hammer on a DJI F450 with NAZA and GPS today. That's gonna be my Gopro rig

I'm wondering if I should buy 3s or 4s for that because I'm cheap and I can double up the 3s for the Gaui too...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I run a pair of YKS 3s 3300 batts and they work fine, but run 6s most of the time in the Gaui 500...I need to change the ESC's on the DC frame so I can use my 4s on that one too...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your heli will fly much better if you change your throttle curve. Brushless helis fly much better with a constant headspeed. Try something like 0, 85, 85, 85, 100 - this will make your heli more stable and the tail will hold better.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveflat View Post
I just dropped the hammer on a DJI F450 with NAZA and GPS today. That's gonna be my Gopro rig

I'm wondering if I should buy 3s or 4s for that because I'm cheap and I can double up the 3s for the Gaui too...
I have a (once planned as a Low-Cost-) Copter and I use my 3S 3700 - 3S4000 Lipos that I use as 6S (2x 3S) in my Hurri to power it.
FC is a KK2 board, newest Ver

If you want to check your config take a look here: http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm

"Once planned as a Low-Cost-Copter" cause in the meantime I added cam gimbal, #16 KeyCam for HD recording, CMOS-cam for download, 5,8 GHz downlink, small Video receiver/recorder, EyetopCentra video goggles for in-flight-control of video picture ...

[ame]http://vimeo.com/58285325[/ame]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Low-Cost-Quad.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	394748  
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Your heli will fly much better if you change your throttle curve. Brushless helis fly much better with a constant headspeed. Try something like 0, 85, 85, 85, 100 - this will make your heli more stable and the tail will hold better.
Believe it or not I woke up in the middle of the night thinking of this very thing and figuring I'm likely running at around 1500RPM at middle stick, probably too low with 430 blades.

Thanks for this tip! I'll try a more constant speed though like you show.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebodener View Post
"Once planned as a Low-Cost-Copter" cause in the meantime I added cam gimbal, #16 KeyCam for HD recording, CMOS-cam for download, 5,8 GHz downlink, small Video receiver/recorder, EyetopCentra video goggles for in-flight-control of video picture ...
haha, yea low cost is my initial thoughts but I know myself...

I have this in my backyard and I want to get some cool video of it eventually. I doubt I'll have the skills or confidence this summer though...

(No, that's not me It's my nephew)
That's not my house either LOL! My house is behind the camera.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Three batteries through the Gaui so far this morning

Running like a champ, although I do have about 25 clicks on the elevator subtrim and it still wants to drop the tail. I'm really anal about trim and I like it centered spot on, but I just can't get it there properly, or I need to take the hard links off and replace with adjustable.

Probably won't matter much once I go FBL I suppose.

(Or I just need to get on with my gopro mount idea I have in mind)
Old 02-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hope nobody minds, but I changed the title of my thread. Figured I'll use this for my progression with my Gaui.

When everyone is spending a day flying, how often do you look over the heli and give it a sort of pre-flight? Should I check everything over before every single flight? After my last tailboom incident I'm a little gun shy and find myself worried about everything.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #52 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...How was the static CG for the heli?
In the past I have even added stick on wheel weights to get better CG...What battery are you using ? 25 clicks on the sub trim is acceptable...40 would be pushing it...
I'm charging some batts right now...!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
HF MR Support

for me...after I fly I look over the heli or quad closely and pull and tug on things to see if anything is loose....then do the same when I go to fly again. Control check before spooling up and a 4' high hover, then go fly...Quads not so much as they they just have 4 spinney things and un seen electronic gizmos...!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

CoG is good. It's all in subtrim so I can't really see it on the sticks... out of sight out of mind is my motto for this. I'm looking at the Tarot ZYX for it so I'll have to do mechanicals all over again at that time.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

This time the tail DID NOT slip! It's still tight, and undamaged. I was about 6 feet above ground and the tail just snapped about 90 degrees clockwise, then all of a sudden it started spinning out of control. I tried to save it... I tried over riding the out of control spinning tail but just couldn't.

Busted blades, broken seesaw, couple teeth gone on the rear main gear, and busted elevator linkage (the piece inside the frame). Everything can get fixed except that elevator linkage.

I'm getting extremely frustrated and think I want to blame 'clone' electronics...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Aw shoot! ...Did the tail linkage bind or did the gyro glitch? broke a tail blade?
Very sorry to hear it is down...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

didn't break any tail blades. I don't know if it was binding. I was just doing some simple forward flight and the tail kicked out on me. I corrected it once and tried bringing it home, it kicked out again, and wham, started spinning out of control... I think it's the gyro myself. I didn't give it any input...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #58 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...If you want to try another Gyro I have a GY48v that works...slight drift, but manageable...It was on yours untill I got the GY520 clone...
Old 02-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveflat View Post
This time the tail DID NOT slip! It's still tight, and undamaged. I was about 6 feet above ground and the tail just snapped about 90 degrees clockwise, then all of a sudden it started spinning out of control. I tried to save it... I tried over riding the out of control spinning tail but just couldn't.

Busted blades, broken seesaw, couple teeth gone on the rear main gear, and busted elevator linkage (the piece inside the frame). Everything can get fixed except that elevator linkage.

I'm getting extremely frustrated and think I want to blame 'clone' electronics...
Sorry to hear that - if it suddenly snapped that sounds much more like something mechanical (though it could be a tail servo failure) - can you remind us of your set-up
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mike,
It's a Hyperion DS20GMD digital tail servo. Clone GY520, according to PTcaflyer - there's no markings on it. OrangeRX 6 ch rcvr and my Spektrum DX6i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in