Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

TriFlow is available at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware, owned by Sears) in their bicycle/automotive department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have sears here.(if its still there) I've never even heard of OSH before. The local cycle shop I went to today for tri-flow was gone.

Last edited by ethereal sky; 11-14-2011 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: mixed up responses and left out some important info.
ethereal sky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal sky View Post
You were right about the tail hub, but, it isn't happening over time, it came like that new and the wobble is caused by the fact that the hole through the hub has too much clearance with the shaft inside of it. Rather than modifying the screw I want to fill the space between the shaft and hub, which is what's actually causing the wobble(I have really good eyes and can see the extra space). Not that your method doesn't work. I think compass should know about it so they maybe could start producing hubs that fit more snug on the shaft or maybe produce shafts that take a cap screw that sets into the side of the hub just a bit. Regardless this is not what caused my recent problems as I have been flying the 7hv like this since it was first built. However, this issue with the tail hub does in fact cause the tail flutter in FFF, FRF and FSidewaysF that everyone has been having trouble getting completely tuned out(I think). From my experience it does not effect the ability of the heli very much if any or the tail gain once its dial in, but, I am concerned that it might cause things to wear out prematurely on the tail. And it may make it more difficult for some people to get their tail gain dialed. And being that it's a part that shouldn't be moving in the first place it will always get worse with use(which is maybe why some people don't notice it fresh built but until they have a bunch of flights on it already). I actually noticed this when I built it straight out of the box but it flew right so I forgot until you reminded me. Thanks for reminding me I meant to do some thing about that sooner. The only non-soft material I can think of to fill that space is to go the opposite route you did and actually flood the space with blue locktight(so i can still get it off when I need too)and let it set till the next day. And if blue doesn't stop that wobble then red probably won't make it impossible to take off(which probably doesn't matter anyway cause if i need to take that apart its broken already and I'm sure I'm not the only person on here thats had to cut a tail shaft in the past after a crash). I'm not saying you're wrong at all though I just want a more definite and permanent fix. I want us all to have a perfect heli and the 7hv seems close fresh out of the box.
Not actually being caused by the screw.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know it's pretty much impossible to make a hole through the (steel?) hub smaller to fit better but, since that is the actual flaw that is causing the wobble, that is what I want to fix. I do agree that flattening the end of the set screw should be a pretty good fix. Problem for me is that the screw isn't the root cause of the problem. It is the side effect of the hub being too loose around the shaft. So even if the screw is flattened and the hub is not wobbling the tail blade grips are off center/unbalanced by a little maybe 1/2 a mm(hopefully less). and all the extra space in the hub is shifted to the side the set screw is in. Just bothers me that it still won't be the way it should be. I'd be all sh*ts and giggles if compass started makin'em with the right sized hole in it. I'm hestant to fix what isn't the cause because in the past I've had those kinds fixes (bandaids) cause other/more problems in the long run(or a circle of re-applying the bandaid over and over). I also don't want the tail flutter pushing on my BLS251 tail servo. Even though it seems not to effect performance it probably is on some level and putting more wear on everything on the tail including my servo.

Is there anyone on here that works directly with compass who I could speak to about this?

No offense to compass people, but, if I were designing this heli I don't think I would have allowed for those hubs to be in the kits if I could help it. It's such a tiny/gigantic flaw.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cook View Post
try some ATF(Auto transmission fluid) Synthetic if available for decent pricing. That works great for one ways
I would but that stuff smells so bad i don't mess with it unless my auto transmission in my truck needs refill/service
Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please don't anyone hate me for what I've said about the tail hub. This is all just what I've seen on mine since I got it. I really like this heli a lot and would like to see a more permanent fix for it in the near future. If compass made a better fitting hub I would order it immediately(even though they should probably send us all one). Just to add: my tail blade grips are snug on the hub and have almost no wiggle in them, but the loose hub cancels that out.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Please don't anyone hate me for what I've said about the tail hub. This is all just what I've seen on mine since I got it. I really like this heli a lot and would like to see a more permanent fix for it in the near future. If compass made a better fitting hub I would order it immediately(even though they should probably send us all one). Just to add: my tail blade grips are snug on the hub and have almost no wiggle in them, but the loose hub cancels that out.
I'm a bit confused as to why you have pulled this into the Compass Team Tips discussion, quoting your own posts instead of following through in the original thread you started. This has only made for confusion here and seems off topic in this thread.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeah I really don't know why you seem so obsessed about this. I have many compass models and run some pretty high headspeeds and don't notice any tail vibration or other problems. I think the design is fine. There is NO way the hub is off anywhere near 1/2mm. If YOUR hub and shaft have that much play, then I'd try another b/c mine are not that way. Seems to me that you got something in your head and just won't let it go. Just go fly the damm thing and quit worrying so much.

The stock screw allows play b/c of the way the load is applied IMO. It's not a tolerance issue of the shaf to hub. Any other heli I've owned is similar in tolerances in this regard. The difference is that compass puts a recessed hole in the shaft vs a flat spot. Anyway, again just get it set and not moving and fly it, instead of worrying about re-engineering the heli.

Quote:
I know it's pretty much impossible to make a hole through the (steel?) hub smaller to fit better but, since that is the actual flaw that is causing the wobble, that is what I want to fix. I do agree that flattening the end of the set screw should be a pretty good fix. Problem for me is that the screw isn't the root cause of the problem. It is the side effect of the hub being too loose around the shaft. So even if the screw is flattened and the hub is not wobbling the tail blade grips are off center/unbalanced by a little maybe 1/2 a mm(hopefully less). and all the extra space in the hub is shifted to the side the set screw is in. Just bothers me that it still won't be the way it should be. I'd be all sh*ts and giggles if compass started makin'em with the right sized hole in it. I'm hestant to fix what isn't the cause because in the past I've had those kinds fixes (bandaids) cause other/more problems in the long run(or a circle of re-applying the bandaid over and over). I also don't want the tail flutter pushing on my BLS251 tail servo. Even though it seems not to effect performance it probably is on some level and putting more wear on everything on the tail including my servo.

Is there anyone on here that works directly with compass who I could speak to about this?

No offense to compass people, but, if I were designing this heli I don't think I would have allowed for those hubs to be in the kits if I could help it. It's such a tiny/gigantic flaw.
Scorpion Power Systems/Batteries
Spartan RC
John Cook is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to crash your thread but my preexisting tail wobble was relevant and yes it does pivot on the screw but on mine it is because the i.d. of the hub is being slightly loose on the shaft. guessing that all of yours fit like a glove then.

" Just go fly the damm thing and quit worrying so much."
I've been doing that since june.

I am not referring to my other post on this thread. I'm talking about the problem addressed in john cooks video and weather its the screw or what I stated above or both I would like to be able to get stock parts for it that fit.
I didn't mean to spill the triflow discussion onto here.
So you all are compass team pilots sorry again to bother you.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

if it wobbles long enough it will wear the parts and b/c more of an issue. Try new parts and my recommendation and see what u think.
Spartan RC
Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

"So you all are compass team pilots sorry again to bother you."

You are not bothering us! We are hear to help and are happy to answer questions.

John is extremely knowledgeable in these matters and is worth listening to. I have probably been flying since before he was born and I try to find and read everything he posts.

I agree with him that maybe new parts are in order on your ship. I will be following his recommendation on the set screw issue.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could we clarify if this sticky is for Q&A to Compass Team Pilots, or if this is specifically set up to hold upcoming Team Compass Tips Videos. If it is the latter, I think the other posts should be moved to the thread they started from. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just the vids with tips, comments, questions on some other board.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

well eventually what my goal is.....
to make a sub forum like we have now with the 6hv, 7hv, atom 500 etc...
that one labeled team tips
currently, that doesn't make much sense until we have more content.

For now, I'd say lets keep it more streamlined with comments specific to the video, or requests for new vids etc...

I'd say let's break out the other commentary to other threads
Spartan RC
Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

What I'd like to see is a video of removing the bearings from the FBL yoke. Any time I try, I end up damaging the bearing, even if I heat up the yoke.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm patient, John "Throttle Hold" Cook! I just want to see a video on the tail drift you mentioned. I think it would be very instructive and not only for Compass owners. Thank you, sir!

Scott

Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do enjoy me some Throttle hold that's for sure

Hoping to get some video shot this weekend and hopefully in the next week or two get another video or two posted
Spartan RC
Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Compass Team Tips Episodes 2 & 3

Got time to do a couple more videos.
Episode 2 is on servo install and wire routing on the 6hv. The Atom 500 is close enough in how servos are laid out that you can reference this video for that airframe as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMQoDucmUY&list=UUmmd_Qmg2mo9PvjP-WA7RXw&feature=plcp[/ame]

Episode 3 is dealing with hidden crash damage, and fixing the "fish wallow" effect. Described in the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Zo85dhonU&list=UUmmd_Qmg2mo9PvjP-WA7RXw&feature=plcp[/ame]
Spartan RC
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would put in the tip about CA'ing the tail box to prevent it from adding to the fish wallow phenominon. On my Atom, the screws are so small and typically don't punch through the boom very well (or strip out) so the tail case ended up being wobbly (usually up and down movement around the pivot point of the screws). Just take a couple drops of medium CA around the crevice at the front of the case and it will hold it nice and tight so the load isn't entirely placed on the screws. When you go to fix or repair/replace anything on the tail, the CA will break off with a light tap or twist of the boom. Scratch off the residue and re-apply as needed. Works like a charm!!!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
I would put in the tip about CA'ing the tail box to prevent it from adding to the fish wallow phenominon. On my Atom, the screws are so small and typically don't punch through the boom very well (or strip out) so the tail case ended up being wobbly (usually up and down movement around the pivot point of the screws). Just take a couple drops of medium CA around the crevice at the front of the case and it will hold it nice and tight so the load isn't entirely placed on the screws. When you go to fix or repair/replace anything on the tail, the CA will break off with a light tap or twist of the boom. Scratch off the residue and re-apply as needed. Works like a charm!!!
Good point. I use a thin smear of goop or thick CA as at least on my nitros they vibrate more and the goop tends to absorb the vibration better and eventually at least thin CA tends to give out on my 3d plus.

thx
Spartan RC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in