Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > RealFlight Flight Sim

RealFlight Flight Sim All versions of RealFlight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Correct way to land?

So I was just wondering... Is there a correct way to land a heli? I practice on a sim everyday, RF7 to be exact, but I dont know the best way to land. I get in a hover, and I give it a little down collective and it descends and looks like a rough landing... I was just wondering, what is the best way to land with a nice soft and smooth landing? I also use the thumb method, not the pinch, so maybe my thumbs give to much down input on the collective? I don't know, but thanks for any help!
CommandingSloth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I hit throttle hold about 6 feet off the ground and do a mini auto. But you can do it from any height really. Smaller helis are harder. Might want to be lower.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I had thought about that, but didnt know if that the correct way to go about landing, or if there even was a correct way. Thanks for your input though, I'm gonna try that!
CommandingSloth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 'baby auto' is a good way to go. It decreases the rotor speed quite a lot upon landing and you are less likely to have a tipover or ground resonance. Even if you do tip over, there is so little rotor momentum that damage is less likely.

I can go either way about this in some special cases: A TT gear'd 450 on tall grass might do better with a powered landing so the tail rotor can cut a little space for itself, rather than wrapping the grass at low rpm.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mini auto.
You aren't under power yet still have some lift to play with. Makes for a smoother landing and you're less likely to drill the heli into the ground.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently went through the same set of questions. I fly a TRex 450L dominator and one of the challenges with that heli is very little clearance with the tail rotor on the ground. The field that I fly on is dirt and I was having problems with the tail rotor hitting the dirt/pebbles and stripping out gears on landing, so I spent some time thinking about it. I tried the mini-auto style but the problem is that with the 450 there is so little rotor head momentum that you don't have a lot of time to make adjustments if you are not perfect.

What I do now is I have Mode 1 set to normal mode (e.g. throttle goes to zero at bottom stick) and I set the D/R & Expo settings very soft. Like 20% expo and 80% dual rate. I switch to mode 1 when I am ready to land, then I do a very easy hover and slowly reduce throttle. I have found that this gives me the smoothest landing.

One other sim tip is that I made a stand-up configuration. Meaning I move my monitor up to eye level and I SIM standing up. I also use my regular radio (DX9) because I found that it flys much differently than the interlink controller.
ryanha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in