Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Don't buy this piece of crap

Its garbage. Nothing works right. Every screw/nut/bolt is some non standard size that is 1/1000 of a millimeter off what you have the tools for. Never have I seen a helicopter that is so impossible to work on and get flying right. To the trash can with this garbage.

Stop letting chimps design your helicopters, blade.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk
tstivers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Don't buy this piece of crap

That's a pretty old heli. And yeah. It's a piece of junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Yea, its trash. I sold mine off two years ago
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got mine as part of a trade. Even without it the trade was fair so I basically got it free. I figured I'd beat it up learning rather than crash the 250 I got, but I can't even get the rotor off the tail to replace the tail motor because the set screws are stuck on stupid and no standard Allen key will fit in them correctly.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you want to trash it I'll take it. Need some spare parts.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote .... Its garbage. Nothing works right

Send it to me. I'll easily get it flying no problem.

If you compare the SR to newer helis, then yes its garbage, but that doesn't mean nothing works and that it cant fly.

Not defending the SR but I have repaired many many SR's and each one has flown beautifully after being repaired and setup properly ...... so I have a challenge to all out there who say they can't get their SR's to fly.

Send them to me, but they must be properly built as per leaving the factory and have all parts properly fitted ! You pay the postage over to me and I'll pay the return. They must arrive properly packed and in good condition.

If the above conditions are not met then I will just bin them without them being returned.

Any parts required will be charged at cost.!

I will log all problems found with the birds on here so if its operator error then be prepared to be named and shamed !

PM me if you still want the challenge to Put up or Shut Up.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Don't buy this piece of crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbells View Post

If you compare the SR to newer helis, then yes its garbage, but that doesn't mean nothing works and that it cant fly.

Not defending the SR but I have repaired many many SR's and each one has flown beautifully after being repaired and setup properly ...... so I have a challenge to all out there who say they can't get their SR's to fly.

Send them to me, but they must be properly built as per leaving the factory and have all parts properly fitted ! You pay the postage over to me and I'll pay the return. They must arrive properly packed and in good condition.

If the above conditions are not met then I will just bin them without them being returned.

I will log all problems found with the birds on here so if its operator error then be prepared to be named and shamed !

First off I'll neither put up nor shut up. Second it has a direct drive tail. Even when it came out that was terrible. Tail wagging is a pretty common issue with these and its caused by the slow reaction time of that direct drive tail, as well as a crappy gyro.

I already sold it to someone who does enjoy it.

My other issue is the fact I couldn't even get the rotor off the tail to replace the tail motor because the set screw holding it on is some dumb size Allen key I don't have. Its a 10th of a millimeter off what I have available.

Tail motor fails.
Hell spins out of control and most likely crashes.
Blade makes lots of money on parts because of a design flaw deliberately put into the helicopter.

My mini cp flies fine. I'm sure my 250 will fly fine when I get the parts for it. Hopefully the sr flies fine for the person who bought mine, but it doesn't fly fine for me. Not even at its best it won't.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The SR is just fine. It's a great beater bird. Needs to be set up proper but other than that she's ok. No world class top end 3D flyer but I couldn't think of a better bird to learn on. What people told me in the beginning when I didn't know CP from pee pee was right. If you can fly the SR you can fly anything! Every bird after seems easier to handle. I'll keep mine forever and fly it and repair it. Viva la SR! All hail the SR! Long live the SR! Haza!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbells View Post

Janeymac...

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have two of the SR Huey UH-1, built on the original SR chassis. They are definitely not state of the art birds, not even by what was available when they were first introduced but you have to consider the price in the equation here. As has already been said, the SR is not, and never was intended to be a top end 3D flier. But for $199 when they first appeared and $99 when they went on sale and I bought my second one (the parts alone were worth that). You get the heli, a useable transmitter made and dialed in for a beginner, battery, charger, everything. You get all this from a brand that offers wide spread parts availability with the best customer service and support on the planet as far as what I have read.

The SR does fly. I think the main issue that caused the problems with the SR was the marketing. Is this really a next step up from a coaxial? No way, and in my opinion no CP bird this size is a good next step up from a coaxial. I bought mine as a first CP heli, double mistake as I bought it in the form of the Huey which meant a nice fragile scale body to crash as well. I got it several inches off the ground and realized immediately that this was way beyond my skill level. I set it down and went out and bought a micro cp and proceeded to crash and learn on that.

I still enjoy flying my SR Hueys.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade SR is a good flyer with some cheap/free mods

First off, install a GWS 3030 press on tail blade instead of the stock one. It's MUCH lighter and provides super fast tail hold compared to the stock one with the aluminum hub.
Second, remove all the flybar weights.
Third, max out the swash mix to the point where the slider on the head/center hub is almost maxed out at full collective + and -. This will give almost 13 degrees IIRC, and makes it a beast.

Do these things and you'll enjoy the SR.

You can also replace the blades with the ones from the CP, but I use stock SR and I still have loads of fun with it.

Edit: I forgot to add, you need to use a DX6i or better to adjust the swash mix for the third mod I suggested. Stock radio is no bueno because it limits the rudder to 50% of full range and there's no swash mix adjustment. If you don't have or want to buy one, then just do the first two mods and you'll still be much happier. My stock SR transmitter collects dust on a shelf in my garage
BrandonB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ended up selling it. I never expected it to be a super 3d bird, especially considering I've only mastered the tail in hover so far. What I expected was something I could learn on.

What I got was something plagued with problems not the least of which was a complete lack of tail authority even while hovering.

I'm sure those upgrades/modifications work great, but I don't want to waste time or money on something that's built to fail. I have a trex 250 fbl airframe and gyro on the way so I'll fly that instead. Cost me less than it would have to get the at flying acceptably, and a 250 will fly much better I would think.

Maybe it works for you guys, maybe mine just sucked, maybe I just suck at setting it up. All I know is I hated every second I was working on it or trying to fly it.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best thing you can do for yourself, my friend, at this point in time is get a nano. And a sim of course if you don't have one already.

I completely see your point of view and agree. I wouldn't touch this heli with a 10 foot barge pole, honestly... Well, unless it was given to me, sure...

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

It came as part of a trade that included the 250 so I basically got it free. :p

I have a mini cp, just waiting for parts to fix it.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonB View Post
First off, install a GWS 3030 press on tail blade instead of the stock one. It's MUCH lighter and provides super fast tail hold compared to the stock one with the aluminum hub.
Second, remove all the flybar weights.
Third, max out the swash mix to the point where the slider on the head/center hub is almost maxed out at full collective + and -. This will give almost 13 degrees IIRC, and makes it a beast.

Do these things and you'll enjoy the SR.

You can also replace the blades with the ones from the CP, but I use stock SR and I still have loads of fun with it.

Edit: I forgot to add, you need to use a DX6i or better to adjust the swash mix for the third mod I suggested. Stock radio is no bueno because it limits the rudder to 50% of full range and there's no swash mix adjustment. If you don't have or want to buy one, then just do the first two mods and you'll still be much happier. My stock SR transmitter collects dust on a shelf in my garage
Hey Brandon, Does the GWS 3030 make a big difference? I just ordered some off ebay and I like the orange color. Do you just push them on and thats it?? By the way, I grew up in Paradise!
Cyclone Steve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Steve View Post
Hey Brandon, Does the GWS 3030 make a big difference? I just ordered some off ebay and I like the orange color. Do you just push them on and thats it?? By the way, I grew up in Paradise!
Why hello neighbor!
The GWS 3030 is MUCH better than the stock tail prop. I just checked my SR though and realized I have the GWS 0320 installed and not the 3030. From what I remember, I did extensive full collective pumps to test the tail hold using both models of prop and I found the 0320 to be better, but lots of people on the forums recommend the 3030. You'll be happy with it, but they're cheap enough so get a few 0320's if you can and test it for yourself.
And yes, you just press them on. They are a VERY tight squeeze. The 3030 has a larger hole than the 0320 so it's a bit easier, but I had to brace the prop against a book while forcing the motor can onto it all while trying to keep from bending it. It's not going anywhere

Edit: I also readjusted my 2-in-1 mix for each prop. The way I have mine set up right now, I never have to worry about tail blow out ever.

Last edited by BrandonB; 03-24-2014 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Why hello neighbor!
The GWS 3030 is MUCH better than the stock tail prop. I just checked my SR though and realized I have the GWS 0320 installed and not the 3030. From what I remember, I did extensive full collective pumps to test the tail hold using both models of prop and I found the 0320 to be better, but lots of people on the forums recommend the 3030. You'll be happy with it, but they're cheap enough so get a few 0320's if you can and test it for yourself.
And yes, you just press them on. They are a VERY tight squeeze. The 3030 has a larger hole than the 0320 so it's a bit easier, but I had to brace the prop against a book while forcing the motor can onto it all while trying to keep from bending it. It's not going anywhere

Edit: I also readjusted my 2-in-1 mix for each prop. The way I have mine set up right now, I never have to worry about tail blow out ever.

Nice! Do you leave your motor in the stock position? (to the right) I see a lot of people reverse it? I've probably put 20 or more flights on mine stock and haven't had a problem yet. Do you know of any signs I should look out for that would indicate the tail motor is about to go out?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstivers View Post
It came as part of a trade that included the 250 so I basically got it free. :p

I have a mini cp, just waiting for parts to fix it.

I have 2 mini CP's and 3 nanos.

IMO nanos > mini CP's

size, flight times, FBL gyro (AS3X on nano is better imo) and servos/durability.

nano is the better compromise.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Steve View Post
Nice! Do you leave your motor in the stock position? (to the right) I see a lot of people reverse it? I've probably put 20 or more flights on mine stock and haven't had a problem yet. Do you know of any signs I should look out for that would indicate the tail motor is about to go out?
I leave the motor in the stock (push) position. I would hate to have the prop fly off in the reverse configuration. Also I've never had to replace the tail motor since the switch to the lighter tail props. With the stock prop I replaced the motor once it started getting really hot after a flight (100+ flights). Never had a problem since though.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I leave the motor in the stock (push) position. I would hate to have the prop fly off in the reverse configuration. Also I've never had to replace the tail motor since the switch to the lighter tail props. With the stock prop I replaced the motor once it started getting really hot after a flight (100+ flights). Never had a problem since though.

Cool! I leave it the way it is! Thanks for your help.

[IMG]<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=B93644FBC09D43E4&resid=B93644FBC09D43E4% 21138&authkey=APMUIxdlEezfZHE" width="319" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>[/IMG]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in