Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Post production ie, After effects, deshaker etc.

I recently upgraded my computer system to perform at higher level. I spent about 1200 on CPU, GPU, RAM. Windows vista 64bit. It works about 10-20 times faster now on the hard stuff.
What I'm finding out is post stabilization is worthless in most cases.

I'm wondering if its usefull at all.
Goldenhour is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have felt the same way at times, I am hoping once I get my brushless gimbal completed next week that makes the difference. My current mount is pretty "old school" but I haven't updated till now because I didn't see much advantage until the brushless technology came out. I can get decent footage and frames are clear, then once I stabilize it turns to mud. I believe it is caused by slight rotational movements in the camera from one frame to the next. Stabilizer gets confused trying to sort out that mess. In my case I know that it is because of a poor design in my current mount. I have the electronics now and next week will have parts cut for my mount. Hopefully by the end of the week I have some good results.
Gaui X7 Cameraship
SFACV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Final Cut Pro stabilizer works awesome.
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll say this. Aerial photography is quite a study. At least an Associates degree would be fitting for the entire course, if there were one.
I subscribe to Adobe Cloud to get After Effects. I know there are cheaper ways but.........
On June 17 Adobe AE is coming out with its new WarpStabilizer VFX. As they say in their ad..
"A major upgrade to the much-loved Warp Stabilizer, VFX adds the ability to choose which objects within a scene get stabilized, reverse a stabilization, and preserve a scene's original scale to fix tricky shots such as aerial fly-throughs."

Aerial fly-thoughs, jeez they must be talking about the FAA approved BIG bucks megachoppers. One ton to lift a 5-20 lb. camera.
Goldenhour is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Warp stabilizer is excellent, and if you are working with 1080p or lower rezolutions, FCP smooth cam does a decent job as well. If you intend to use post stab, you have to shoot for it. IE no motion blur, jack up the shutter speed. If the image has motion blur due to getting banged around, it will still be out of focus/smeared looking after being stabilized.

I had shoot at the Taj Mahal in india and you are only allowed to shoot from one spot (even after paying the $5k in permits and bribes). SO after we shot what we could from there on a tripod and a Red camera, we sent a couple of guys off hand held with canon t2is to shoot other stuff. After our post guy rann all the footage through AE WS, it looked like we had a dolly and a steadicam and free reign. Footage held up projected in a theater pretty well.

I am 99.9% to not having to use post stab on footage shot from my multicopter, that last 1/10th of a percent is a bitch ;-)

Nick
arrinick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in