Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 5.8ghz antenna selection

Getting ready to purchase a 5.8 goggles kit from readymade. What do you guys think for antennas?

Should i upgrade the kit and go with...

CW skew/omni combo

Or go for the cheap whips to save money in the kit, but then purchase...

CW Long Range combo seperately?(skew/helical combo)

I figured there is only about a $40 difference in the long run, thoughts and opinions?

Last edited by daneger21; 03-07-2013 at 04:18 PM..
daneger21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When you say goggle kit, are you going to use a stand alone video TX and RX, or use the RX built into the goggles? How far are you trying to fly also? 5.8 doesn't penetrate objects well at all, so anything between you and the aircraft is most likely going to kill your video feed momentarily. You could run a set of CP (circular polarized) cloverleafs that make a big difference over the stock omnis, yet still perform well as an omni directional antenna. You can also run a CP clover on the TX, and a helical on the goggles / ground station for more gain, at the expense of it being directional.

Blade mCP X - brushless / Blade 130x beta / T Rex 450 Pro FBL / HT Flip FPV / DJI F450 / Nano QX FPV beta
WNCmotard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCmotard View Post
When you say goggle kit, are you going to use a stand alone video TX and RX, or use the RX built into the goggles? How far are you try to fly
Hero2
Fatshark 5.8 ghz Dominators
Immersion 600mw tx

Since its going on a quad, distance is the factor anyways, so i dont know maybe 1-2miles depending what the battery will allow. And since im starting on a quad i do like the convenience of the dominators being all in one. Then i could throw them and a few batteries in a backpack and go on a hike.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I'm with you on the convenience thing and being able to throw it all in a backpack. But, for me at least, the terrain where I live will most likely limit me before video range will. If I can get 1/2 mile radius of my take off, I'll be fine most likely, and if not, I'll re-evaluate my setup. 2 miles is a long ways on a quad, not saying it can't be done as I'm pretty new to this myself, but that is a long way unless you mean round trip. I assume you're running LRS or UHF for control also?

Blade mCP X - brushless / Blade 130x beta / T Rex 450 Pro FBL / HT Flip FPV / DJI F450 / Nano QX FPV beta
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCmotard View Post
Well, I'm with you on the convenience thing and being able to throw it all in a backpack. But, for me at least, the terrain where I live will most likely limit me before video range will. If I can get 1/2 mile radius of my take off, I'll be fine most likely, and if not, I'll re-evaluate my setup. 2 miles is a long ways on a quad, not saying it can't be done as I'm pretty new to this myself, but that is a long way unless you mean round trip. I assume you're running LRS or UHF for control also?
Yeah like 2 round trip max. Mile out mile back. Although that wouldnt be my intentions, maybe for peace of mind. More fore close proximity "exploring". I would say atleast 60% of my flying will be in light to medium wooded areas with no to medium hills. Weather its flying above them or in them. So maybe 5.8 isnt what i should be looking at.

But yes i before i run this ill be converting to a DragonLink uhf.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, that all sounds good other than the 5.8. Unfortunately, not a good choice for dicing through the trees. The lower bands, 900 and 1.3 are much better suited for that.

Check out this vid comparing 5.8 and 900 with only minimal tree coverage. I really wish it performed better, especially for where I live. Everywhere is woods down here LOL.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nda3QqrQsqo[/ame]

Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Was that your video or just one you came across?

Looks like 900mhz will be the ticket. Readymade has a bluebeam omni combo for 900mhz. I wonder how well they preform for within a fair distance, obviously again not looking for max distance but more for peace of mind without going crazy with full directional antenna and antenna tracking...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's a video that was posted on another forum for the comparison since a lot of people ask what frequency to run. 5.8 is great for convenience in wide open areas, but other than that, as you see it drops out quickly. 900 is what is recommended from my research for the best combination of distance and penetrating trees / foilage / obstacles. But again, I'm still new at this also, so do your own research as well. One other thing also, the smaller the band, the larger the antenna, with 900mhz being the largest. For a quad, that's a consideration as well.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

True, i did see the omnis for 900mhz have a 7" diameter
Old 03-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't 900mhz get a lot of interference if you live close to city's or cell towers? I've been thing about getting a 5.8 because I live close to a city
rstekeur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

ifyou are looking for that range you are going to need your amateur radio lic. with all the hype going around about drones we need to be doing everything to standard.
blindside is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
ifyou are looking for that range you are going to need your amateur radio lic. with all the hype going around about drones we need to be doing everything to standard.
Thanks for the antenna recommendations lol
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneger21 View Post
He's right... If you are going to be using amature radio frequencies, do us all a favor and make sure you get your HAM license. You will likely enjoy the process and learn valuable information anyway. Its only $15, good for 10 years, and you learn a lot about the very questions you are asking here. (for example, how to select a proper antenna...) There are way too many people flying FPV without a HAM license, and just because others are doing it doesn't justify it. Practically every FPV system available requires a HAM license.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm fully within the legal bands right now, but will be doing my HAM soon and going UHF for radio control and 1280mhz for video.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron View Post
He's right... If you are going to be using amature radio frequencies, do us all a favor and make sure you get your HAM license. You will likely enjoy the process and learn valuable information anyway. Its only $15, good for 10 years, and you learn a lot about the very questions you are asking here. (for example, how to select a proper antenna...) There are way too many people flying FPV without a HAM license, and just because others are doing it doesn't justify it. Practically every FPV system available requires a HAM license.

I want real life experience not what a test says. Never said i wasnt licensed or going to get it, just wish people would stop thinking everyone but themselves are newbies and illiterate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in