Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
The picture is from my thread here https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=542707 </threadhijack>
Nice try. You picked a 40A ESC when logs show people are pulling 50+ then, you replaced your own can and the motor was litterally gutted a few flights later. If it feels better go ahead and blame Kontronik but excuse me if I question your credibility and that's not how statistics work.

For the record, I think YGE is damn good stuff. I would have bought the 90LV but they were out of stock (upgrading a problem with signal loss - by the way). I had the funds so I got Jive (not a Koby). I didn't bother searching for all YGE or Koby failure issues and I am not keeping track.

That's my story and I sticking to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Mike View Post
Nice try. You picked a 40A ESC when logs show people are pulling 50+ then, you replaced your own can and the motor was litterally gutted a few flights later. If it feels better go ahead and blame Kontronik but excuse me if I question your credibility and that's not how statistics work.

For the record, I think YGE is damn good stuff. I would have bought the 90LV but they were out of stock (upgrading a problem with signal loss - by the way). I had the funds so I got Jive (not a Koby). I didn't bother searching for all YGE or Koby failure issues and I am not keeping track.

That's my story and I sticking to it
What
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New warp

The Koby 40 should have been plenty capable for the Warp. ESC ratings are based on continuous output and should handle peak spikes much higher. My average current draw on the Warp is usually only around 10 to 20A while spikes can be 40+. On my 3s Trex I routinely draw 65 to 80A spikes from the Ice Lite 50. I would have to look at my jlogs to remember what I pull through my Jives, but it's a lot! I would have to blame that motor.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Danny Dugger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

My HF Map location

A 40A ESC is just fine for this bird, especially on 16T. It's the Koby firmware that has a problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Maybe I missed something... Can you point out where Kalleh specifically blamed his ESC? It looked to me like he was pretty diplomatic not to point fingers at any one component and more-or-less said it could have been anything.

Check out some of Lazor22's videos with his Warp 360. Last I heard he was running a Hobbywing Platinum 40A ESC.
radu7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First, I was comparing the YGE to a Jive.

There was/is a Koby firmware problem (I saw that), like many other brands. Bob, you feel certain that's what caused Kalleh's BBQ? Interesting, then I will not challenge.

Also, if you guys say 40A is sufficient, I guess I will back-off with my opinon. You have my utmost respect and I am glad it's working out for you. I will make this one last comment though. For me, "peak" value specs are not what I use to make equipment selections (in any category of any type of equipment). I do not think it is wise to be operating near thresholds of continuous values, let alone peak values, and to deliberately choose a component based on its peak capacity and running at or near spec'd limit's is simply not good sense. I am sorry, maybe heli's are different.

Anyway, I am far from being a Heli (or ESC) expert so I will fade back into the crowd and try to minimize embarrassing myself
Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lots of koby failures, it was the firmware. That sound the original compass motors made had to do with it being able to speak to the koby correctly. Thats why the scorpion and new can compass motors sent them up in flames until they upgraded the firmware.

I am running a hw40, which is more then you'll ever need on a 6s 450. 40's run fine on 3s 450s and remember higher voltage means less amps.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu7 View Post
Maybe I missed something... Can you point out where Kalleh specifically blamed his ESC? It looked to me like he was pretty diplomatic not to point fingers at any one component and more-or-less said it could have been anything.

Check out some of Lazor22's videos with his Warp 360. Last I heard he was running a Hobbywing Platinum 40A ESC.
Sorry didn't see this come in.

Your right! I was originally joking with Frito (well that was my intent). Completely lost track of that it was Kalleh who responded to my response to Frito (and not Frito). There was an implied argument (argument in a good sense) which appeared to suggest that the burnout picture suggested the ESC was the cause - when taken in context to the other post. Did that make sense?

Iazor22 is an amazing pilot!! But, I still wouldn't pick 40A ESC nor would I recommend it based on specs. I doubt the manufacturer would recommend it either (more likely they would recommend the next size or two up). If you guys want to recommend that, that's fine.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
Lots of koby failures, it was the firmware...
Man I wish I didn't respond to that Koby post. I really just intended to give props to the JIVE. I do not think the Koby is better or in a higher category than the YGE for example.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
and remember higher voltage means less amps.
...for a given wattage.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Your right! I was originally joking with Frito (well that was my intent). Completely lost track of that it was Kalleh who responded to my response to Frito (and not Frito). There was an implied argument (argument in a good sense) which appeared to suggest that the burnout picture suggested the ESC was the cause - when taken in context to the other post. Did that make sense?

I'm sorry for causing the stir, I was just joking with you as well
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #32 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Sorry didn't see this come in.

SNIP

Iazor22 is an amazing pilot!! But, I still wouldn't pick 40A ESC nor would I recommend it based on specs. I doubt the manufacturer would recommend it either (more likely they would recommend the next size or two up). If you guys want to recommend that, that's fine.

"based on specs?.....What specs? And who are "you guys"? The manufacturer does IN FACT recommend a min 40A ESC when running on 6S. A 40A ESC has been PROVEN in the field to be more than sufficient.

Here are the specs for the Scorpion motor and HW40 Platinum ESC. You can see that the 40A ESC is plenty.

Scorpion 2520-1260kv Specs

HW 40 Specs

Quote:
...for a given wattage.
No one is talking about watts. Lincoln was saying that as the cell count (Volts) goes up, the current (Amps) goes down. Therefore you don't need a monster ESC on 6S.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mike just jokingly pointed out that amps go do when volts go up only when you speak about relatively same power I'm sure pretty sure that both amps and volts went up when I switched from my old stock Trex to scorped Warp
Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
"based on specs?.....What specs? And who are "you guys"? The manufacturer does IN FACT recommend a min 40A ESC when running on 6S. A 40A ESC has been PROVEN in the field to be more than sufficient.

Here are the specs for the Scorpion motor and HW40 Platinum ESC. You can see that the 40A ESC is plenty.

Scorpion 2520-1260kv Specs

HW 40 Specs

<snip>
Yep. Scorp peak = 40A but I thought you posted a log that showed you reached 50A (I could be wrong on that) I know that's peak and I get that the HW can peak at 60A. Me, I'll stick to the continuouos specs. I like a little more headroom that's all - it's not like certain conditions (flight stresses, manufacturer short-fallings) couldn't reasonably result in a failure (maybe a high discharge C rating - I dunno), it seems to happen frequently enough. Bob, I am not questioning yor choice or Freeko's. If I had the same experience level you guys have I would be able to make a firsthand determination as well, but i don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiron View Post
Mike just jokingly pointed out that amps go do when volts go up only when you speak about relatively same power I'm sure pretty sure that both amps and volts went up when I switched from my old stock Trex to scorped Warp
Exactly. Thank you Sir. I do understand 'current', that's why I 2 server power supplies running in series (one with a floated ground) to power my PL6 at 25 volts instead of 12. When the pack voltage drops at the end of the flight the amps increase. Of course 6S is better in that sense than 3S. V*A=W (inverse relationship).
Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito169 View Post
... turnigy 306g hv servos
Nice find, will they do fine on cyclic and tail @ 6V?
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6v

Yes they run excellent at any servo voltage.
frito169 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito169 View Post
Yes they run excellent at any servo voltage.
Great, do you use the same one for the tail?
And do they sell spare gearsets at HK?
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default New warp

It's complete! Long night for me

The yep and the bec would not fit so I removed the case and grinded the heatsink. I also shorten the bec and the esc wire. Overall i like it

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374847820.736830.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	438608
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New warp

Did you fit the canopy? I ended up turning my 3sX around and moving it back. The wires were too tight in the nose of the canopy when I had it like yours. I did not use the extended canopy mount, though.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Danny Dugger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Remember... a 40A ESC can handle 40A of continuous current indefinitely. It can handle double that for 10 seconds.

We are not operating near any thresholds here... if anything, the same setup on 3s would be teetering on the edge.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in