Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Eagle Tree Systems

Eagle Tree Systems Onboard data loggers, telemetry, and OSD support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Eagle Tree E-Logger

i have been wanting to get this elogger for quite some time, but couldn't figure out if its really useful, so everytime i end up buying a another lipo with that money. so need you guys to help me out, is it really that neccessary? I understand that there are many optional add-on accessories, but which ones are those that is really required? Also, i m not very good at graphs, but then this thing plot out graphs rite? how can we learnt to study from the graphs?
uniquexme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Logger itself will log Amps,Watts,mAH used and flight time plus alot more. one of the most useful add ons is the RPM sensor which is a powerful setup tool in itself. When downloaded to your computer it will graph the desired info for you to see and make adjustments from. See example
https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...2&d=1237808296

I
TBS Disco w Core Naza GPS FPV 1.2 vtx MT Tiger motors
02deuce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

i guess thats my problem, so the supplied graph, how do u figure out what it means, and whats useful here?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was considering the Eagle Tree w/ optional RPM sensor instead of a simple tachometer.
But I just replaced my cyclic servos w/ HS 65 MGs, so now I don't have to worry about the above choice. (broke!)

Anyways, from that sample graph, one could interpret...
  • His 6s battery pack is holding up nicely under load, must be good condition.
  • He knows 3.666 A were drained from the pack. e.g. if it is a 3600 mAh pack, I'd say he flew too long! ;-) This shows he flew for just over 4.5 minutes, so if he drained more than 80% out of the pack, he could shorten his next flight.
  • How does flying style affect amp draw. e.g. hovering vs. tic-tocs require different amp draw.
  • He would know if he is pushing his ESC too hard. e.g. if it was rated at 100A, and it was cutting out, this would explain why, since he is hitting 115A peak
  • Increasing your head speed adds responsiveness. But if you are running wood blades, they may not be safe above 3000 RPM. Going from 11T pinion to 12T, 13T, etc... will increase your headspeed. But what is your headspeed? The graph shows you he is around 2100
Old 04-20-2009, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

man how did u guys learn to read from the graph??? thats insane!!! its also the main reason i didn't buy one. well, i guess i shd get one and post it here so that anyone can help me determine. thx pal
Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8Leon View Post
I was considering the Eagle Tree w/ optional RPM sensor instead of a simple tachometer.
But I just replaced my cyclic servos w/ HS 65 MGs, so now I don't have to worry about the above choice. (broke!)

Anyways, from that sample graph, one could interpret...
  • His 6s battery pack is holding up nicely under load, must be good condition.
  • He knows 3.666 A were drained from the pack. e.g. if it is a 3600 mAh pack, I'd say he flew too long! ;-) This shows he flew for just over 4.5 minutes, so if he drained more than 80% out of the pack, he could shorten his next flight.
  • How does flying style affect amp draw. e.g. hovering vs. tic-tocs require different amp draw.
  • He would know if he is pushing his ESC too hard. e.g. if it was rated at 100A, and it was cutting out, this would explain why, since he is hitting 115A peak
  • Increasing your head speed adds responsiveness. But if you are running wood blades, they may not be safe above 3000 RPM. Going from 11T pinion to 12T, 13T, etc... will increase your headspeed. But what is your headspeed? The graph shows you he is around 2100
Nice reply, this is helping me as well.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My question is how many flights can an Eagle Tree log if I'm logging what was shown in the example? I ask because I wonder if I'll need a laptop to download the Eagle Tree from time to time out at the field.
--
TotalNewbie
TotalNewbie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you just logged Volts, Amps & RPM like the the example, you could log quite a few sessions before needing to download to the PC. How many would depend on the logging rate.

I do not have to be politically correct. I am not a politician.
K-50 / 500ESP /450SEv2 /H200SD / mCX / RF4.5 / 10C 2.4GHz
Ecklund1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

think most probably will get the watt meter, its easier to read.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Howdy,

Not much to add to this great discussion, other than to point out (sorry if this has been pointed out before) that you can connect our "PowerPanel" LCD Display to the eLogger, to get the best of both worlds:

The LCD can be plugged in after your flight or left attached to your heli, and can be programmed to display whatever you want it to. Then, if you decide later you do want to download the full flight, that's always available.
billpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default More volts?

Given the constantly high current draw shown in the graph, I would recommend this pilot consider going up another cell or 2 in the pack. For example, if it is a 6s, an 8s might give much better performance without a large weight penalty.

Look about 1/2 way between 1 and 1.5 minutes. See the peak amps about 114 and the volts dip to about 20 volts. Lets convert that to watts:
114 * 20 = 2280
Now if we went up to 8 cells lets look at that:
20 volts / 6 cells = 3.33 volts per cell
So lets add 6.66 (3.33 * 2 more cells) to 20 we get 26.66 volts.
Now divide that by 2280 watts.
2280 / 26.66 = 85.5 amps.

So for the same power draw we cut the amps from 114 to 85.5. The puts much less stress on the batteries, ESC and motor.

Now of course it is not this simple because the heli would be a bit heavier and the motor will need to have a lower Kv. But with the way this pilot is pushing this model, I think more power is needed.

Last edited by jrohland; 05-16-2009 at 09:54 AM..
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a question about the LCD display.... I like how it shows cumulative mAh as it'd give me a good sense of whether I should change batteries (i.e., at 1800 mAh consumed) but....

does it automatically reset when batteries are changed -- or is there a reset button? Cuz otherwise I'd have to remember that battery #2 has to get changed out at 3600 cumulative mAh and battery #3 .... oh... .my head hurts.

K
"Tarbosaurus" HDX-450 SE v4 flown 96x crashed 7x 2221-8 v2; D202MGs; 2100T+DS290G belt cp 450 fl/cr 35:11x HK-450fl/cr 22:4 e-smart 600 fl/cr 13:1 Lama V4 fl 7 HK-T500 fl/cr 5:1 3026-1210; HS-225MGs DX6i Total flights: 171; crashes: 24 "Accident Free for 1 Flights!" --- www.tarbosaurus.org
nasukaren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in