Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 0 deg dihedral on a trainer?

I am wanting to build a little trainer so I can learn planes, nothing fancy, I am going to eventually buy and build a little Great Planes PT-20 MkII Trainer, but do it electric. I am wondering if I should just build the wing straight. I know it is a high flat bottom wing, but I would think that would make it more 'sporty' and more fun later on. I have heli experience, so I think I would be able to handle it with the help of my flying buddies and plenty of sim time.

Would this be unwise?
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

If you can fly a helicopter in forward flight, that PT-20 with no dihedral is gonna be a breeze.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I know it is nothing fancy, and I probably could learn on something more capable, but I want to build it so I am keeping it simple.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

SIG 4star if you want to build
the kit is cheap and an easy build

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC106.html

review
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315989
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like that one. Hum. It will be a while till I can order it, have to fix my car, that is a good one to think about.

I am a bit tempted to build both and use the trainer for buddy boxing kids at funflies or something like that. Hum. . .
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

4star is pretty tame you could buddy box people on it if you wanted to
itll fly really slow

only issue is 20 size birds get bounced around in the wind pretty good
be a good candidate for the that new Spektrum AS3X RX but your flying Walkara still?
i have that 15 size Bonanza and it HATES any wind and its almost unflyable in cross wind some of that is V-tail
and it has pretty heavy wingloading
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are some plane systems that do not have RX built in. Heck, I think one of the HK quad boards does. I know those are kinda light planes, but I just have the electronics lying around from various events that would let me build a .20 size without having to buy electronics.

I'll see what I end up with when I can spare the money.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 4 star is a great plane IMO I have an os .46 Fx on mine and can climb vertical till it disappears! My altimeter says 980 ft.
rotorfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

your PT20 is not exactlty a little trainer at 55". I bought an Alpha Sport 450 which is a little smaller and it is cumbersome to put in my car and store in my house. I did learn to fly it with help at my club but the flat wings are very floaty and sort of hard to land.

Then I discovered flying wings. I built a Superfly delta and then a 900 mm Popwing. What blast to fly. A delta makes a good first wing. Then you can move on to a V.

Checkout crashtesthobby.com. People on RCG like the Pelican for a first plane. It is more plane like. Then just forget planes and get a nice wing model.

Popwings are dirt cheap. $65 for an ARF kit. Add a $6 Orange RX and a $10 battery and thats it. The CTH models are more durable because they are laminated over the foam.

They fly fast or slow. Just hand launch and skid on the grough to land so you can fly just about anywhere.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
your PT20 is not exactlty a little trainer at 55". I bought an Alpha Sport 450 which is a little smaller and it is cumbersome to put in my car and store in my house. I did learn to fly it with help at my club but the flat wings are very floaty and sort of hard to land.

Then I discovered flying wings. I built a Superfly delta and then a 900 mm Popwing. What blast to fly. A delta makes a good first wing. Then you can move on to a V.

Checkout crashtesthobby.com. People on RCG like the Pelican for a first plane. It is more plane like. Then just forget planes and get a nice wing model.

Popwings are dirt cheap. $65 for an ARF kit. Add a $6 Orange RX and a $10 battery and thats it. The CTH models are more durable because they are laminated over the foam.

They fly fast or slow. Just hand launch and skid on the grough to land so you can fly just about anywhere.
So the ailerons work together for elevators? I would think that a wing would be harder to fly, I guess appearances can be deceiving.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRT(-2) View Post
So the ailerons work together for elevators? I would think that a wing would be harder to fly, I guess appearances can be deceiving.
More or less. In the parlance, they are knows as elevons. Not sure which radio you are running but the DX6i has the function built in for example. When you set type to ARCO there is sub menu for wing type. That is where you find the elevon feature to enable. Its a form of mixing so the elevons control both roll and elevator axis. If your radio does not have it, you can buy elevon mxing modules.

Really with the fixed wings they are all about the same to fly: roll with the left right and compensate with some up elevator. The so-called yank and crank However, the two variables and speed and control sensitivity. If you find something that will fly slow, then you can learn and make non fatal mistakes. If the controls are super sensitive you crash before you learn anything.

In the wings, Delta's are a little slower and more forgiving than the V shaped ones. The best part is that landing is non critical. You don't need a runway. Just cut power and and slid them in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in