Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One)

DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One) DJI Heli Autopilot System(Naza-H/WooKong-H/Ace One) Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default NAZA-H GPS going backwards on initial activation

I'm wondering if anyone else has this, or might have found a solution to it. On the first 1-3 times of switching the heli to GPS mode, the heli goes slowly backwards. But any time after the 3rd time switching into GPS mode, the heli sits where it was activated.

Any fix...or just another bug?
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you got a solid GPS lock?

nightflyr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep, no red flashes.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Odd....
I notice that when I engage GPS it tends to drift a bit for the first minute.
I'll manually correct for the drift, then locks in place...
Might suggest you put it in GPS mode correct for the drifting and see if it will lock in on its own.
May be some type of timing issue....

Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, some weird thing. I haven't checked just how far it will go backwards, as so far I just do the GPS cycling in a smaller space to get it 'right' before venturing to the open areas of flight. But it does back up more than I'd like before it 'warms up' so to speak. I think the backwards thing will not self correct on mine...just keeps going backwards even after multiple corrections, but switching in and out a couple times fixes that.

I'll try to see just how far it will back up on first use next time I play with that heli
Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine tends to drift towards one of the pine trees in the yard...
Funny ..no matter which way I point the nose it always wants to drift towards that specific tree..
After a minute or so of moving it away from the tree it settles in and holds it position.

Maybe it likes the pine scent.....

Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha. Maybe the heli wants to take a break and nap under the tree

I sent the heli up right after I got a GPS lock indicated and switched into GPS while in a stable hover already and watched what it would do with enough room for it to do what it wanted to. The heli backed up maybe 10 feet and held position. It seemed it would keep doing this version of 'hover in place' upon entering GPS mode for the first minute or two of operation after initial startup. After these few minutes, the heli would lock in place where the GPS mode was activated. I guess the GPS mode needs a 'warm up' or something to not back up from where the GPS mode is activated while it is already in a hover
Old 07-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds like both our units are doing some what the same thing.....

I wonder if after engaging GPS, come back to manual mode and land then go back to a hover and switch back into GPS what would happen.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys.. IMHO... The same thing happens to me when I fly in my backyard but it's not as bad at the field.

There are 2 things going on when you flip to GPS mode for the first time... One is the Gps is trying to find the SWEET spot for the area you are in.. depending were you are that sweet spot could be 10 feet back . the other is the effect that the magnetic compass is also trying to find it's spot... So buildings and trees can affect it magnetically which can at first, conflict with the GPS briefly...

I have 2 spots in my backyard, which is pretty big... One is the southeast corner and the other is the northwest corner. Depending where the heli is when I flip to GPS the first time,, it will drift to the closest spot.. These spot are always in the same place.. Just like Niightflr has a special pine tree... thats the sweet spot for him.. Now at the field, the same drift can happen but it is not as dramatic as being in a more congested area..

You also do not need to put the heli in a perfect hover before turning the GPS on... the heli can have motion.... you just can't have any cyclic input at the moment you flip the switch..
StripedGear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Makes sense, but then why after a minute or so does it lock in where ever I place it..

Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are we still talking your backyard? Because an open field gets better results It just takes a minute to find itself... it's continuously collecting information on where it is, and as it does it fine tunes itself. A GPS location is not a pin point for the Naza. The Naza is a basic system, it's not the ultimate high tech system. Just like our smart phone with GPS locators. It's true location could be 100 feet away in any direction. So I think it's safe to say that we are dealing with the normal operations of the Naza system..
Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedGear View Post
Are we still talking your backyard? Because an open field gets better results It just takes a minute to find itself... it's continuously collecting information on where it is, and as it does it fine tunes itself. A GPS location is not a pin point for the Naza. The Naza is a basic system, it's not the ultimate high tech system. Just like our smart phone with GPS locators. It's true location could be 100 feet away in any direction. So I think it's safe to say that we are dealing with the normal operations of the Naza system..
Yes still with in the yard, I guess for the price you do have limitations.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exactly.... The Ace One and the Wookong are more high end tech and costly.. Dji saw a market for a lower end system that would sell great.... and it has... tons of new pilots are flying the Naza H...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, pretty cool system for not that much money IMO also. Kind of wish little niggles like the initial GPS function and more ATTI gain adjustability (down) would be corrected. Maybe they have this stuff in there so that people buy the more $$ versions if they want better?

Although, I remember some Wookong videos with a horribly twitching tail and thought to myself back then, "$1K for something that looks like it has a $9.00 Hobbyking gyro in it?"

That's my musings on these things for today. Still sort of kicking around an idea of getting another NAZA-H for another scaler I have. I know the NAZA did good work on a heli that was just too light for it's size...it seems it would be spectacular on a scaler with some nice heft to it and flys great right now...decisions, decisions, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in