Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default iMax b6ac charger?

I just ordered a combo from readyheli with this charger and two 2200mAh 25C "rookie" lipos (yeah, i'm afraid to solder.)

Link to the charger is here:
http://www.readyheli.com/Kong_Power_...6accharger.htm

Has anyone used it? It's rather cheap, but it beats my align non-information-sharing charger. Plus for that charger and 2 lipos under $200, I figured it'd be worth a shot. Has anyone used this charger at all though? Or am I going to be the guinea pig and have to review it?
-Gamah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Imax B6AC

I just got one also and it so far is great. It brought back an old nimh battery to life and now my lipo's are more balanced after charging them. Each cell used didn't used to be so equally charged as they are now. They're almost exact now. I could still use a little knowledge on the proper settings for LIPO's to make sure they're charged right and I don't ruin them, and if they should ever be discharged or not. Can anyone help? Thanks
reor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

As a best scenario, a fully charged lipo should be 4.2 volts per cell exactly. I'm not exactly positive, but I believe no single cell should ever go below 3.2(?) volts or you risk damaging it. For storage ~3.8 volts per cell is for room temp storage, and you can store a fully charged lipo in a freezer for as long as you wish. Before using a frozen lipo, simply let it warm to room temp and fly!
-Gamah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If ordering from HK, does this unit ship with an A/C power cord suitable for use in North America?

Thanks,

Johnny
Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've done some looking around, and it appears as if this power cord is the same as those used for lap tops. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Johnny
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Johnny, it's safe to assume if youre ordering the Imax from HK it will still include the US (3 prong) adaptor. The adaptor to plug into the charger is unique only to this item, so a standard laptop adaptor would not work, as it also has 3 holes to plug into the charger.
RHSHIP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSHIP View Post
Johnny, it's safe to assume if youre ordering the Imax from HK it will still include the US (3 prong) adaptor. The adaptor to plug into the charger is unique only to this item, so a standard laptop adaptor would not work, as it also has 3 holes to plug into the charger.
Thanks for the reply.

An adaptor is not required, as the B6-AC has an integral A/C power supply. The power connection to the charger looks identical to my own lap top.

Here's a photo:

Thanks,

Johnny
Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Lugnuts View Post
I've done some looking around, and it appears as if this power cord is the same as those used for lap tops. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Johnny
I should clarify my earlier post. I'm talking about using a power cord from a lap top only, not a lap top power cord with the brick.

Okay, having received my new IMAX B6AC, I can now confirm that this charger will, indeed, work with a lap top A/C power cord. I had one lying around and chose to use it, rather than the supplied power cord with USA three prong adapter.

Johnny
Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
As a best scenario, a fully charged lipo should be 4.2 volts per cell exactly. I'm not exactly positive, but I believe no single cell should ever go below 3.2(?) volts or you risk damaging it. For storage ~3.8 volts per cell is for room temp storage, and you can store a fully charged lipo in a freezer for as long as you wish. Before using a frozen lipo, simply let it warm to room temp and fly!
There have been several statements with support that Lipos should NEVER be stored in a freezer. The cold will break down the internal catalyst. Room temperature is best.
Thx1326 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
but I believe no single cell should ever go below 3.2(?) volts
Remember that is the voltage under load during flight (a voltage you can not easily monitor), not the voltage your cells should be at when you hook them up to your charger. They should be near 3.7V. So be careful when you say "The lowest they should go is 3.2V", especially to new pilots, or they could ruin their packs.
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx1326 View Post
There have been several statements with support that Lipos should NEVER be stored in a freezer. The cold will break down the internal catalyst. Room temperature is best.
From personal experience I would dispute this.

I always charge my lipos after flying as I generally fly at least once a week (at weekends). Early last summer I made the mistake of leaving lipos (2 x Kong Power @ 70 cycles & 4x Zippy-R @ 20 cycles 3s) fully charged in 86°F + temps for 3 weeks, and then another 2 weeks. The KPs were basically dead after this & the Zippys were noticeably weaker.

Since then I put my lipos in a container in the freezer fully charged during the week.

My Flightmax & Rhino 3s lipos have had over 80 cycles and are not noticeably weaker (for my Sport, not 3D flying) than when new, and they perform almost was well as my much newer Hyperion G3 VX lipos. All have been kept frozen since new.

Freezing lipos is actually recommended by Kong Power

http://www.kongpower.com/faq_en/show...xt01=&srhTxt02

If I was going to store them for months (like northern hemisphere winters), I may just leave them at storage charge at room temp, but for storing for a week or two, freezing fully charged does it for me.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok how about just to be safe you stick the packs in the fridge instead?
Stuff: Spektrum DX7 - iCharger 208B - Hyperion G3

Last edited by TJinGuy; 01-13-2010 at 11:23 PM..
TJinGuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know about the freezer, but the refigerator works. I stored 3 Thunderpower 1320 3S packs in the refrigerator for just over 3 years. Each pack was storage charged to 3.85V and each one put in a ziplock bag.

I decided to sell my non PowerEdge lipos around April and brought out all the packs from the refigerator. The TP 1320's were down to 3.3V, but were still balanced. They flew very well and the local club guys bought them for $10 per pack and they still run good. Refrigerator works for sure.
RC Accessory is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in