Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

It can only do two at a time. You will just have to get two chargers.
I'm confused...10S means ten cells right? Why can't he use the same harness for wiring them as one 9S pack to charge them with?
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^ +1
Gutaaaooo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbill242000 View Post
I'm confused...10S means ten cells right? Why can't he use the same harness for wiring them as one 9S pack to charge them with?
I think the answer is because you won't be able to plug into the balancing ports or available cards and this charger from what I can tell won't charge unless the balancing plugs are connected.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a question. I'm considering a 10S for future helis I dont own yet, but will likely want to charge 3S, 4S, 5S, 6S and 8S batteries on it. Some with ALign balance connectors and some with TP type balance connectors. Can somebody list the minimal set of balance adapters that need purchased to handle both balance taps across that different S sizes? It wasnt clear to me what to get from the fmadirect site.

THanks,
EG

eegee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegee View Post
I have a question. I'm considering a 10S for future helis I dont own yet, but will likely want to charge 3S, 4S, 5S, 6S and 8S batteries on it. Some with ALign balance connectors and some with TP type balance connectors. Can somebody list the minimal set of balance adapters that need purchased to handle both balance taps across that different S sizes? It wasnt clear to me what to get from the fmadirect site.

THanks,
EG
There are only two balancing connectors available which cover any type of battery with balance connectors. If you order two of each you will be able to charge two tp batteries or two e-flight batteries, and also if you go to a ten cell battery you will need two of the same balancing cards to cover all ten cells. So again get two of each which I know adds $60 to the cost but is well worth it considering the flexability it gives you.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a question, I run a 450 size heli, that runs on a single 3S1P pack, right now I have 2 of the same brand same model Lipos, but will have ones of greatest capacity and brand soon.

With the 10S can I charge two of my 3S packs at the same time, even if one is discharged further then the other, or is it really designed for 500 class helis and such, that run on 3S2P batteries, where the two packs would be discharged at the same level.
RevToTheRedline is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline View Post
I have a question, I run a 450 size heli, that runs on a single 3S1P pack, right now I have 2 of the same brand same model Lipos, but will have ones of greatest capacity and brand soon.

With the 10S can I charge two of my 3S packs at the same time, even if one is discharged further then the other, or is it really designed for 500 class helis and such, that run on 3S2P batteries, where the two packs would be discharged at the same level.
If you read the instructions on them, it explains that it performs best with two identical batteries discharged to the same level. When two batteries discharged at different levels are connected it will charge both batteries at the "C" rating you choose until one battery reaches full charge at which time it reduces it's charge current to one amp, which would be less than 1/2 C on a 2200 mAh battery. Therefore it suggests to watch it and remove the first battery when it's charged and finish the second on its own or charge them separately from the beginning. This is a great charger and works well with batteries as long as they are close to the same discharge amount. Therefore if you're flying your 450 with the same batteries and for the same approximate time they will charge together well, I have done this. The charger with all accessories including the power supply is a bit on the expensive side but well worth every penny. I have no vested interest in selling this as I am just a heli enthusiest like most others on this forum.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
I managed to sort it out and get it running, BUT it sucks that you have to be connected to the internet to use it. I don't always charge at home or close to an internet connection so this feature should be wiped out and only need to connect when you want to update.
I have found that I can use the software without an internet connection. Not sure what could cause your issue.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbill242000 View Post
Hi,

You can charge one pack from 6S to 10S or two packs of up to 5S on each channel, they do not have to be the same cell count or capacity. He was inquiring about charging 3 3S packs.
Howard Matos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're charging two packs, and one finishes before the other, can you unplug the finished battery?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you're charging two packs, and one finishes before the other, can you unplug the finished battery?
I'm pretty sure you have to turn off the charging cycle and restart it with the uncharged cells.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi,

Yes but you have to stop the charge first. Then move the un-finished pack to channel 1 (if it is not there already), and then start the charge again. The down side when doing this is that the charge data is lost once you stop the charge. It is just a quicker way to charge 2 packs of different cell count and capacity

Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi,

Yes but you have to stop the charge first. Then move the un-finished pack to channel 1 (if it is not there already), and then start the charge again. The down side when doing this is that the charge data is lost once you stop the charge. It is just a quicker way to charge 2 packs of different cell count and capacity

Thanks Howard for clarifying this. I wonder why the charger has to drop down to 1 amp charge after the first battery is charged. I suspect it is due to some safety that must be built into the charger, but wonder if you could elaborate a bit on this.

I've also noticed when charging through the data port on the computer and charging two packs it only shows the data for pack one. All the data for "fuel" and "cap" only show on channel one. Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have learned to look past the pretty disappointing limitations to the 10S, and I will still buy one over two much cheaper (with discounts) 4S CellPro's

But I do hope the next attempt at a dual output Cellpro will be better, "individual channel control, and 12S" hint hint
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ooops, I did not want to post my message here.
T-Rex Cruzer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER PATROL View Post
Thanks Howard for clarifying this. I wonder why the charger has to drop down to 1 amp charge after the first battery is charged. I suspect it is due to some safety that must be built into the charger, but wonder if you could elaborate a bit on this.

I've also noticed when charging through the data port on the computer and charging two packs it only shows the data for pack one. All the data for "fuel" and "cap" only show on channel one. Thanks
Hi,

The 1 amp is the bypass current. Although the charger has two channels, and can charge different cell count and capacity packs, it has one charge circuit. This is the reason when you have a pack that finishes first for the 1 amp bypass.

Make sure you select either 1 pack or 2-pack charge. When you select 1 pack charge with 2 packs connected, it will combine all the information and balance as 1 pack. It will be quicker if you select 2-pack charge when you are charging 2 packs.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Howard,
I have been experiencing intermittent charge disruptions with my Cellpro 10S. An error message I typically see is "No Plug Blocker" even though the plug blocker IS installed. The error, when it occurs, is always towards the end of the charge cycle. I know I have already discussed this with you, but never got a good answer. I was told to check the resistance of the plug blocker, which I did. It measured 4.7K ohms, as it should.

I also have seen an error message of "Supply Unstable." I am using a Radio Shack 15A switching power supply, typically pulling around 12-13A at peak charge with my settings.

Lastly, I get random occurances of the charger simply shutting off during a charge, Display goes blank, even though the power supply is still turned on. Cycling the power resets the charger.

Could these error messages and random shut-downs be caused by pulling too much current from my power supply? Is there a safe maximum percentage of rated output to pull from a power supply?
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi,

The 1 amp is the bypass current. Although the charger has two channels, and can charge different cell count and capacity packs, it has one charge circuit. This is the reason when you have a pack that finishes first for the 1 amp bypass.

Make sure you select either 1 pack or 2-pack charge. When you select 1 pack charge with 2 packs connected, it will combine all the information and balance as 1 pack. It will be quicker if you select 2-pack charge when you are charging 2 packs.
I have tried it both ways as 1 pack and 2 pack charge. At times I have seen data for both packs but most of the time It reports as one pack. I will add that even though this charger may have some small glitches, I love it and recommend it to my fellow heli fliers.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can add me to the list of people wanting a 12S charger. Actually what I think might be best is a cheap 6S version of the classic 4S CellPro.
toddeichel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER PATROL View Post
I have tried it both ways as 1 pack and 2 pack charge. At times I have seen data for both packs but most of the time It reports as one pack. I will add that even though this charger may have some small glitches, I love it and recommend it to my fellow heli fliers.
Hi,

Please check the charge control software under presets, make sure the box is not checked for 1 pack charge. If it is, it will combine the cell voltages to one pack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in