Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Done with Spektrum

I am not very happy with spektrum right now. I decided on using the AR7200BX FBL unit because it seemed to have the features I wanted for my 600 nitro build. I wanted the integrated governor feature. So I pulled the trigger and bought the FBL unit, a DX7S and the USB programmer to update the firmware. Well, now I realize that you need a 8 channel radio. AR7200bx is titled as a 7 channel system. Not true, it is really a 8 channel. I did try and do my research before purchasing but overlooked this issue. I always read manuals before purchasing and missed the fact that aux 3 is only available from a 8 channel radio. Why require a 8 channel radio to utilize a governor?!?! Why call your FBL unit a "7" channel when its a 8 channel.

So now I have a waste of equipment. I thought that perhaps I would get over it and purchase a separate gov. Now I am left with not knowing how to control the gov using the FBL unit.

Can someone shed some light on this. I refuse to buy a 8 channel radio, What a waste IMO.

This crap makes me want to leave the hobby at times. You try and research everything before you buy to only to find you were wrong.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a 7200BX & nor do I have a nitro, but I was under the impression that a governed nitro required one more channel than a governed electric, which should make it a 7 channel.

It is OK to have a Rx with more channels than the Tx or vice-versa. It just means that you are limited to whichever has the lowest number of channels.

I have used a 12 channel JR RD1222 with my old DX7, and I currently use a 9 channel RD922 with my 11X.

Perhaps you need an 8th channel for a governed nitro on a 7200BX ?

Many FBL units can use additional channels, but you don't have to. For example, I use Skookum 720 Blue FBL units and you can run it with the 6th channel for the tail gain (which is fairly standard), or if you want to and have extra channels, you can use one for the cyclic gain as well. I spite of having a couple of 12 channel Rxs, I have never bothered. I run electrics with channels for throttle, elevator, pitch, aileron, rudder & gain. I would guess that you could use the 7th channel for the governor ?

A quick Google indicated that the 7200BX was a 7 channel, but I haven't looked too hard

A quick look indicates that the RxL port is not a channel, but for satellite Rx. Just because it has 8 ports, does not mean it has 8 channels. I count Rudd, Aux1, Ele, Aile, Throt, Aux2 & Aux3, which is 7 channels, but as I said I don't own one, so I may be wrong.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=383003

Good luck.

Colin
Baumann EC-145 800+ (coming soon )
Andy01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apparently Spektrum doesn't count the gyro gain channel as a channel. Why? I have no idea. The governor feature can only be controlled by the "aux 3" channel. For a transmitter to have an "aux 3" you have to have a 8 channel radio.

This is what ticks me off as I bought a 7 channel radio to cover the amount of channels that I thought the 7200bx was capable of. They advertise the unit as being a "7 channel" unit so why would I spend the money on a "8 channel radio" was my thinking. The problem is they limited the governor feature to aux 3 instead of aux 2. Probably to force you into a higher end radio is my guess. Garbage I say!!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
They advertise the unit as being a "7 channel" unit so why would I spend the money on a "8 channel radio" was my thinking.
Totally get the frustration here. The only reason I can think of is that you buy your gear for what you may end up doing in the future, not for what you're doing now.

So I had a Dx6i, and knowing that I may want to try different systems with various features, I went ahead and got the Dx9.

I have no idea what systems will require in the future, but I figure an extra 2 channels can't hurt.

I've been burned far too often in the past by buying only exactly what I need, and then having to make a purchase twice. Kinda like going to the hardware store and buying the exact quantity of paint or wood that you've calculated you'll need for a project....only to discover that you were mistaken and now have to make a second trip.

Sucks!

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's crazy I have an ikon and if I want to i can move the tail gain to the software and run the governor, and bank switching on only six channels.

But MSH isn't in the business of selling radios.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya don't bother with an 8 channel, the DX9 is the one to get
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebee View Post
That's crazy I have an ikon and if I want to i can move the tail gain to the software and run the governor, and bank switching on only six channels.

But MSH isn't in the business of selling radios.
Exactly!! I have since got a 8 channel radio. Governor works flawless I have to say. Still irritated I need 8 channels just to run a governor. All the other FBL units that have built in governor don't require 8 channels. Also don't desribe your product as 7-channel when indeed it is 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnorth View Post
Ya don't bother with an 8 channel, the DX9 is the one to get
Too late, I now have a DX6i, DX7s and a now a DX8 too
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went from 6,7s,8, & then a 9 within 3 years, Just have the 8 & 9 now because it's good to have a back up.

You wonder why you need all those channels but I'm also into giant scale planes & 9 is barely enough.
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just toss the 6,7s,8 and 9, learn a new programming language and get a 9xr pro with the new module that supports internal antenna, dsm2, dsmx, walkera, and telemetry. Will set you back about $150, and about 5 hours of study and learning.

To bad that new module has been out of stock longer than it was in.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in