Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align T-REX 500e build opinions/suggestions (was HK500TT build)

Hello,

EDITED: The build below has been scrapped. I'll be building a T-REX 500 now.

I'll be getting a HK-500TT kit sometime next week from Hobby King. I've decided to go this route because I'm still an amateur and on a budget. I'm moving on up from a Blade 4503D because I have found that the 500+ size helis are much easier to control. So far I've come up with the following parts list to get me up and running. I would love to hear your opinions and input on any of the following. Perhaps someone here has already built one and could post their build sheet.

Here's what I had in mind:

HK-500 TT (that canopy is fugly!)

Turnigy 3 Axis Flybarless Control System

Turnigy Brushless Outrunner 1300KV

OrangeRx R620 Spektrum Compatible Rx

HK 80A 2-6S SBEC ESC

HK ESC Programming card

HK 752MG Coreless Metal Gear servo 0.11s (for cyclic)

HK 732MG Coreless Metal Gear servo 0.07 secs (for tail)

I will be using a DX6i to control my heli.

Will be using a 6S 2850 mAh LiPo.

If you have ANY suggestions, tips on what to avoid getting or suggest getting, please post it in this thread!

Thanks,
KC

Last edited by Kamilitaryman; 06-16-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Kamilitaryman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Presumably you're getting the flybarless version -- there's so many variants (flybar, fbl, TT, belt, carbon frame, etc.) that it's difficult to keep track.

I've just completed an HK500TT flybarred model with metal frame. Out of the box it was horrible -- it was obvious straight away that the tail slider felt notchy, just as I'd read on various internet forums. So before the maiden flight I gave it a complete Align tail assembly.

Second problem was setting up the main blade pitch -- there was so much slop in the system that I wasn't confident I'd got it right. This was confirmed when I tried to fly it, for the tracking was at least 3" out, and there was so much vibration that I aborted the test flight at about 6" off the ground. Replacing the whole main shaft, main gear, complete head and linkages from the swash upwards, and blades, with an Align set I had in my spares box (I already have a T-Rex 500) sorted that problem, and it now flies beautifully.

Other more minor issues along the way were bolts too short (in my opinion) which I replaced with longer ones, and hardly a washer anywhere. I replaced some of the balls and links with Align ones as I went along, because I felt there was too much slop. After my first three flights with all the Align gear, I'm now replacing the main bearings because they're sloppy -- I don't remember if they were like that from the outset. It's also getting an Align tail servo mount (the HK one is far too floppy) and Align boom supports.

Oh, and I had to reinforce the canopy with fibreglass across its upper and lower edges because it was already cracking. It's now getting the Align canopy from my T-Rex, because that's now in a Hughes 500 scale fuselage.

I'm afraid I can't comment on your parts selection, for I used an Align motor, a CC Talon 90 ESC, an Align 520 tail servo, an Align gyro, and three HS225MG collective servos -- servos and gyro from my spares box.

Despite all my gripes about the model, I've now got an HK/Align hybrid that flies just like my original T-Rex, at a fraction of the cost of a new T-Rex. So it's good value for money, but only if you have the experience and resources to sort it out.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your electrics are basically the same as mine. I have the 1600kv motor and Robird g31 gyro. All the rest is the same on my Tarot 500 heli. The servos are great, had 4 crashes and still not stripped a servo yet. They are smooth and quite fast.
You should enjoy your heli once done.
I have heard the HK helis tho do need a few parts changed out to align, due to warped bits, ie Main gears\Auto gear and tail drive gear and some notchy bearings. Otherwise Have Fun.
Diggiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenn View Post
Presumably you're getting the flybarless version -- there's so many variants (flybar, fbl, TT, belt, carbon frame, etc.) that it's difficult to keep track.

I've just completed an HK500TT flybarred model with metal frame. Out of the box it was horrible -- it was obvious straight away that the tail slider felt notchy, just as I'd read on various internet forums. So before the maiden flight I gave it a complete Align tail assembly.

Second problem was setting up the main blade pitch -- there was so much slop in the system that I wasn't confident I'd got it right. This was confirmed when I tried to fly it, for the tracking was at least 3" out, and there was so much vibration that I aborted the test flight at about 6" off the ground. Replacing the whole main shaft, main gear, complete head and linkages from the swash upwards, and blades, with an Align set I had in my spares box (I already have a T-Rex 500) sorted that problem, and it now flies beautifully.

Other more minor issues along the way were bolts too short (in my opinion) which I replaced with longer ones, and hardly a washer anywhere. I replaced some of the balls and links with Align ones as I went along, because I felt there was too much slop. After my first three flights with all the Align gear, I'm now replacing the main bearings because they're sloppy -- I don't remember if they were like that from the outset. It's also getting an Align tail servo mount (the HK one is far too floppy) and Align boom supports.

Oh, and I had to reinforce the canopy with fibreglass across its upper and lower edges because it was already cracking. It's now getting the Align canopy from my T-Rex, because that's now in a Hughes 500 scale fuselage.

I'm afraid I can't comment on your parts selection, for I used an Align motor, a CC Talon 90 ESC, an Align 520 tail servo, an Align gyro, and three HS225MG collective servos -- servos and gyro from my spares box.

Despite all my gripes about the model, I've now got an HK/Align hybrid that flies just like my original T-Rex, at a fraction of the cost of a new T-Rex. So it's good value for money, but only if you have the experience and resources to sort it out.
So any way I look at it, I'm going to end up with a HK/Align hybrid. I've read about the issues you've described but you've also pointed out others I have not learned about yet. Is this heli really that bad out of the box as far as quality is concerned?

It almost seems cheaper to find a used Align heli and go from there. I'm really torn between that and taking a chance at building/correcting an HK one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggiz View Post
Your electrics are basically the same as mine. I have the 1600kv motor and Robird g31 gyro. All the rest is the same on my Tarot 500 heli. The servos are great, had 4 crashes and still not stripped a servo yet. They are smooth and quite fast.
You should enjoy your heli once done.
I have heard the HK helis tho do need a few parts changed out to align, due to warped bits, ie Main gears\Auto gear and tail drive gear and some notchy bearings. Otherwise Have Fun.
I'm glad to see that the electronics are holding up for you. It almost seems (based on what I've read) that you're better off buying the cheap electronic components over anything that has to be assembled from HK.

Did you essentially replace the same parts as Abenn above?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know what they say.......buy cheap buy twice. I've been there. Never again. I'd rather be flying the thing than going through the entire thing replacing bearings, head/tail assemblies, etc that is common on HK's. You will end up spending almost as much money as just buying an Align airframe to begin with.

I would look for a used 500 airframe. Align or Protos come up on here often.

As far as electronics go, if you're on a budge i'd def go with the Castle Talon 90. It can be had for $65 new now days and with that you get fully programmable software - WELL worth the extra bit of coin. If that's too expensive i'd go with a Hobbywing 80A Platinum for a little less or a YEP 80A (which is also on HK's website). Much better options than the Turnigy's.

Servos - Align 515's can be had as a bundle 3 pack for $100. Roughly $35/servo for a quality Align/Savox servo. Cheapest high quality servos you can get. And then whatever tail servo you choose.

The SK3 motor is pretty good from what I've read. you're probably good there, even though the 500mx is not that expensive these days either.

Lastly, get a Castle BEC Pro. Batteries of your choice.
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilitaryman View Post
So any way I look at it, I'm going to end up with a HK/Align hybrid. I've read about the issues you've described but you've also pointed out others I have not learned about yet. Is this heli really that bad out of the box as far as quality is concerned?

It almost seems cheaper to find a used Align heli and go from there. I'm really torn between that and taking a chance at building/correcting an HK one. ...
There's certainly some merit in getting a used Align one, though then you've got the risk of unseen, but potentially terminal, damage caused by a hard previous life.

This is my one and only HK heli, so I can't say whether they're always bad, though there are lots of posts about the tail issues. Having an Align head and main shaft assembly to hand, I didn't even bother persevering with the HK one, so I don't really know why it was so bad -- possibly just too much slack on everything but, from the amount of vibration I got, I suppose it could have even been a bent main shaft straight out of the box. If that's the case I might have been okay with just a replacement main shaft, bearings, and main and autorotation gears instead of the whole head/swash unit. In any case, get yourself a set of Align balls and links so you can replace any of the HK ones that are sloppy. And disassemble everything that comes assembled, to make sure it's been loctited and tightened properly.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

It almost seems cheaper to find a used Align heli and go from there. I'm really torn between that and taking a chance at building/correcting an HK one.

I'm glad to see that the electronics are holding up for you. It almost seems (based on what I've read) that you're better off buying the cheap electronic components over anything that has to be assembled from HK.

Did you essentially replace the same parts as Abenn above?
I originally wrote a long detailed post about my HK 500 CMT... but....

I'll just say this....I know this isnt FBL.. but you can have a Trex 500e for $391. ( http://www.helidirect.com/align-t-re...14-p-23216.hdx ) NEW! With everything you need to fly except an RX and a batt.
The cost to go to FBL on this would be about $100.
About $500 total.
You can find used Trex 500's for less.
I am almost 100% sure, you will spend around $400 getting your HK500 fixed up, equipt, and solid, when alls said and done.
For $400, the HK just isnt a bargain.
My Trex500ESP with Pro head and tail, was bought used for $350.
My Trex 500e with ESP head and Pro tail....$275.
Its been done successfully by some.. but in my opinion...when your trying to move up, the last thing you need is uncertanty, issues to deal with, and frustration trying to make the HK something else. Just my opinion...
I went the HKCMT500 route, and everything everyone told me, no matter how devoted I was to prove them wrong, was pretty much in line.
The air frame is a good platform, ( frames, boom, skids..) for guys who want to build something up..but its just really not something, a learner or person moving up needs to deal with. Takes away from the fun. Again...
just my opinion...
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh...
Build sheet on my HK500CMT..

HK500CMT kit
Turnigy Typhoon 1800kv motor
12T pinion.
Used align 100A ICE ESC ( $50 )
Turnigy MG930 cyclics.. ( STILL flying these, 4 years later on my Trex500 )
Futaba 9257 tail
Spartan DS760 gyro used, $40 ( STILL flying these on two 500's..)
600/700 size Align skids and pipes.. ( MUCH wider stance, no tip overs, easy landing )
( NOTE.. the HK skids dont hold up as well as Align.. the HK ones seem to crack easier, almost more ridgid, not as plyable.. but Aligns will break as well..)
600/700 tail fin... ( tail blades will NEVER touch the ground on a landing..only if you back it in hard )
Used Align 500 canopy.

After building it..

Used Align head/ shafts
Align tail unit
Align tail drive gears
i2 bearing blocks
i2 Boom block
Align gears and hub.
All before the first flight.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Again.. just wanted to add.. the kit you linked to is a flybarred HK550?? If you meant the 500.. I'm wondering as well.. flybarred? Or Flybarrless?( asking because you also have a flybarless gyro linked....) If your going Flybarred, you can get a Spartan DS760 or maybe even a Quark gyro, for the same price. Spartans are by far, THE best flybarred gyro out there....
If your actually going FBL.. you need to add in the cost of changing the head over from FB to FBL.
All of mine are Flybarred helis...even my 700. ....rethink the flybarred Trex 500e I linked to...cant beat a GREAT belted, flybarred Trex with almost everything, for $391 bucks...
Old 06-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
You know what they say.......buy cheap buy twice. I've been there. Never again. I'd rather be flying the thing than going through the entire thing replacing bearings, head/tail assemblies, etc that is common on HK's. You will end up spending almost as much money as just buying an Align airframe to begin with.

I would look for a used 500 airframe. Align or Protos come up on here often.

As far as electronics go, if you're on a budge i'd def go with the Castle Talon 90. It can be had for $65 new now days and with that you get fully programmable software - WELL worth the extra bit of coin. If that's too expensive i'd go with a Hobbywing 80A Platinum for a little less or a YEP 80A (which is also on HK's website). Much better options than the Turnigy's.

Servos - Align 515's can be had as a bundle 3 pack for $100. Roughly $35/servo for a quality Align/Savox servo. Cheapest high quality servos you can get. And then whatever tail servo you choose.

The SK3 motor is pretty good from what I've read. you're probably good there, even though the 500mx is not that expensive these days either.

Lastly, get a Castle BEC Pro. Batteries of your choice.
That's exactly how I'm thinking of this right now. I would love to have this thing assembled and be out flying rather than be chasing down potential/terminal issues.

I'm not too worried about the electronics from HK. Most of the "name brand" stuff is usually just re-branded when it leaves the factory. My only question here is: if they were to fail, how well does HK handle RMAs?

I didn't even consider using a Castle Creations ESC! Good call there! I'm using their ESC/motor combos in my Kyosho 1/10 touring and 1/8 Slash 4x4. I haven't had issues with either one yet. And they are priced decently and perform very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenn View Post
There's certainly some merit in getting a used Align one, though then you've got the risk of unseen, but potentially terminal, damage caused by a hard previous life.

This is my one and only HK heli, so I can't say whether they're always bad, though there are lots of posts about the tail issues. Having an Align head and main shaft assembly to hand, I didn't even bother persevering with the HK one, so I don't really know why it was so bad -- possibly just too much slack on everything but, from the amount of vibration I got, I suppose it could have even been a bent main shaft straight out of the box. If that's the case I might have been okay with just a replacement main shaft, bearings, and main and autorotation gears instead of the whole head/swash unit. In any case, get yourself a set of Align balls and links so you can replace any of the HK ones that are sloppy. And disassemble everything that comes assembled, to make sure it's been loctited and tightened properly.
You're right, but at least I will know that it flew at some point rather than guessing if the HK will fly

My main concern here is quality and this HK heli kit is surely lacking it from what everyone's saying.

If I do end up going with the HK one, then I will apply your fixes to mine to keep it from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayd View Post
I originally wrote a long detailed post about my HK 500 CMT... but....

I'll just say this....I know this isnt FBL.. but you can have a Trex 500e for $391. ( http://www.helidirect.com/align-t-re...14-p-23216.hdx ) NEW! With everything you need to fly except an RX and a batt.
The cost to go to FBL on this would be about $100.
About $500 total.
You can find used Trex 500's for less.
I am almost 100% sure, you will spend around $400 getting your HK500 fixed up, equipt, and solid, when alls said and done.
For $400, the HK just isnt a bargain.
My Trex500ESP with Pro head and tail, was bought used for $350.
My Trex 500e with ESP head and Pro tail....$275.
Its been done successfully by some.. but in my opinion...when your trying to move up, the last thing you need is uncertanty, issues to deal with, and frustration trying to make the HK something else. Just my opinion...
I went the HKCMT500 route, and everything everyone told me, no matter how devoted I was to prove them wrong, was pretty much in line.
The air frame is a good platform, ( frames, boom, skids..) for guys who want to build something up..but its just really not something, a learner or person moving up needs to deal with. Takes away from the fun. Again...
just my opinion...

Oh...Build sheet on my HK500CMT..

HK500CMT kit
Turnigy Typhoon 1800kv motor
12T pinion.
Used align 100A ICE ESC ( $50 )
Turnigy MG930 cyclics.. ( STILL flying these, 4 years later on my Trex500 )
Futaba 9257 tail
Spartan DS760 gyro used, $40 ( STILL flying these on two 500's..)
600/700 size Align skids and pipes.. ( MUCH wider stance, no tip overs, easy landing )
( NOTE.. the HK skids dont hold up as well as Align.. the HK ones seem to crack easier, almost more ridgid, not as plyable.. but Aligns will break as well..)
600/700 tail fin... ( tail blades will NEVER touch the ground on a landing..only if you back it in hard )
Used Align 500 canopy.

After building it..

Used Align head/ shafts
Align tail unit
Align tail drive gears
i2 bearing blocks
i2 Boom block
Align gears and hub.
All before the first flight.

Again.. just wanted to add.. the kit you linked to is a flybarred HK550?? If you meant the 500.. I'm wondering as well.. flybarred? Or Flybarrless?( asking because you also have a flybarless gyro linked....) If your going Flybarred, you can get a Spartan DS760 or maybe even a Quark gyro, for the same price. Spartans are by far, THE best flybarred gyro out there....
If your actually going FBL.. you need to add in the cost of changing the head over from FB to FBL.
All of mine are Flybarred helis...even my 700. ....rethink the flybarred Trex 500e I linked to...cant beat a GREAT belted, flybarred Trex with almost everything, for $391 bucks...
Wow, so much good info in your reply Blayd! You've really opened my eyes on this. I'm gonna have go back to the drawing board, save some extra $ and come back with a new build sheet. Chances are that the new parts list will be composed of mostly Align stuff this time around. I just want to avoid headaches and have a smooth transition from the 450 to the 500.

Yes, I was planning on building the HK-500TT FBL. I must've not been paying attention when I linked that.

So here's a question:

Suppose I buy the T-Rex 500e and wanted to convert it to FBL (I really like their DFC heads), I will have to swap the GP790 Head Lock Gyro. Which FBL gyro would you recommend getting that's good one the wallet? I would like to finally start some basic 3D flights. Nothing crazy like the pros but at least get some flips and loops here and there

Also, what is the max size battery that the 500 will take?

I'm sure there are some questions I'm forgetting to ask, but I will add those later if they resurface in my head lol
Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been down the road you want to go down, and would advise you to get the Align 500E and upgrade it with a Tarot flybarless head, and your FBL controller of choice for less than $500. If you go with the HK, you can get it to fly well for less than $400, but with more frustration. Your electronics look fine with the exception of the motor and possibly FBL controller. I would get a 1600KV motor. I would also get a used Align 3gx instead of a clone FBL controller for the same price. The airframe, however, has major issues. Below are just a few more necessary upgrades to make the HK500 airframe fly ok, I, personally believe that all of these are important and are high-value, but the swashplate and blades are NOT optional to replace. My stock HK500 swashplate was simply unflyable.

$23.55 RJX flybarless blades for a great price $23.55 : http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

$19.00 Tarot Swashplate (stock swashplate has too much slop): http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$5.90 Tarot tail control arm (stock tail has too much slop: http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$6.52 Tarot tail pitch assembly (stock tail has too much slop): http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$4.70 Metal tail pitch linkage rods (the plastic wear too quick) http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$3.50 Main gear (stock is generally out of round) http://www.ac-rc.com/shopping_cart.p...u2qmd987tq3co3

In addition to the above, any of the following may be bent and need to be replaced:
Tail shaft, Main shaft, Torque tube, or feathering shaft.
Goblin 500 Ikon
jonnyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I'm not too worried about the electronics from HK. Most of the "name brand" stuff is usually just re-branded when it leaves the factory. My only question here is: if they were to fail, how well does HK handle RMAs?
The Turnigy ESC's are not rebranded name brand ESC's - they are HK's own line and i wouldn't trust them. The YEP ESC's HK sells, however, are ripped off YGE's, using older YGE firmware. Fantastic ESC's for the money. A YEP 80A is what i'd go with or a Castle Talon 90, with the scales tipping more toward the Talon since it has programmable software and the YEP does not - it has a program card which is kind of dinky and hard to work with/power.

HK is a chinese company. They do RMA's, but you'd have to send your electronics to China and hope/pray for a response from them along with a returned product that actually works. When it comes to electronics, I deal with American distributors since the service and turnaround time is 100x better.
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyk View Post
I've been down the road you want to go down, and would advise you to get the Align 500E and upgrade it with a Tarot flybarless head, and your FBL controller of choice for less than $500. If you go with the HK, you can get it to fly well for less than $400, but with more frustration. Your electronics look fine with the exception of the motor and possibly FBL controller. I would get a 1600KV motor. I would also get a used Align 3gx instead of a clone FBL controller for the same price. The airframe, however, has major issues. Below are just a few more necessary upgrades to make the HK500 airframe fly ok, I, personally believe that all of these are important and are high-value, but the swashplate and blades are NOT optional to replace. My stock HK500 swashplate was simply unflyable.

$23.55 RJX flybarless blades for a great price $23.55 : http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

$19.00 Tarot Swashplate (stock swashplate has too much slop): http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$5.90 Tarot tail control arm (stock tail has too much slop: http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$6.52 Tarot tail pitch assembly (stock tail has too much slop): http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$4.70 Metal tail pitch linkage rods (the plastic wear too quick) http://www.ac-rc.com/product_info.ph...u2qmd987tq3co3

$3.50 Main gear (stock is generally out of round) http://www.ac-rc.com/shopping_cart.p...u2qmd987tq3co3

In addition to the above, any of the following may be bent and need to be replaced:
Tail shaft, Main shaft, Torque tube, or feathering shaft.
Thanks for chiming in Jonnyk. You've added some great info in your post. I'm starting to lean more and more towards the Trex 500e frame as a base for my build. Everyone seems super happy with their quality. I went to a local spot yesterdau where I met a few veteran heli pilots and they all said to get the Align as well.

Looks like the HK build idea is slowly fading away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
The Turnigy ESC's are not rebranded name brand ESC's - they are HK's own line and i wouldn't trust them. The YEP ESC's HK sells, however, are ripped off YGE's, using older YGE firmware. Fantastic ESC's for the money. A YEP 80A is what i'd go with or a Castle Talon 90, with the scales tipping more toward the Talon since it has programmable software and the YEP does not - it has a program card which is kind of dinky and hard to work with/power.

HK is a chinese company. They do RMA's, but you'd have to send your electronics to China and hope/pray for a response from them along with a returned product that actually works. When it comes to electronics, I deal with American distributors since the service and turnaround time is 100x better.
Good point. Didn't even think of that possibility. I'm just going to save the $ and buy something reliable and easily RMA'able

To everyone who's taken their time and replied to this thread, I truly appreciate it. It's users like yourselves, that makes Helifreak a great place to come to get advice!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fought with a HK500GT upgraded to CMT/Align for a couple months with tail wag. Long story short, I replaced it with an Ebay Align 500 DFC no electronics airframe with DS510M, DS8910a+, 500MX, YEP 80A, and K-Bar. It has been flying perfectly for over a year (60 or so flights). I have a lot of helis and don't fly this one all the time.
eagle777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 12:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I fought with a HK500GT upgraded to CMT/Align for a couple months with tail wag. Long story short, I replaced it with an Ebay Align 500 DFC no electronics airframe with DS510M, DS8910a+, 500MX, YEP 80A, and K-Bar. It has been flying perfectly for over a year (60 or so flights). I have a lot of helis and don't fly this one all the time.
Jesus, these HKs are nothing but headaches! lol

I've taken the community's advice (as well as the local pilots) and bought the Align 500e flybar heli. I'm now on a hunt for a Rx for my DX6i. Not sure if I should trust the Orange Rx from HK that's suppose to be compatible with Spektrum.

Has anyone used these with their DX6i?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...er_w_CPPM.html

Please let me know.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

They work great in my planes and helis.
eagle777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation eagle777!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Question:

Instead of the previous receiver I linked, could I jump straight to this one for my future FBL conversion?

Or will this not work a FB heli?

OrangeRX RX3S 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer w/DSM2 Compatible 6CH 2.4Ghz Receiver

Thanks ahead for your replies guys.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're going to switch to fbl I would suggest not buying a unit from hobby king. There are lots of good known brands for sale in classifieds on here. You can get a 3gx got under $50 or a beast x for around $100. Hobby king stuff is hit and miss but they sell a lot of shit products.
Remember buy cheap buy twice....

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashNburn420 View Post
If you're going to switch to fbl I would suggest not buying a unit from hobby king. There are lots of good known brands for sale in classifieds on here. You can get a 3gx got under $50 or a beast x for around $100. Hobby king stuff is hit and miss but they sell a lot of shit products.
Remember buy cheap buy twice....

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
I didn't even think to check the classifieds here! I'll start searching.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in